1 (edited by jdiedrick 2013-07-09 12:57:56)

Topic: Changing hardware output volumes via OSC

Hi there-

I first want to say that I've tried doing my homework via reading dozens of threads about how to use OSC with TotalMix. I'm still struggling though to figure out how to address/change the volume for my hardware outputs...I'm hoping I'm just missing something glaringly obvious.

I figured out how to change the main volume, and even how to switch between snapshots. I'm using an catch-all OSC receiver as well to move things around in TotalMix and see what messages are being sent and where. For the life of me though I can't seem to see anything going on with the hardware outputs. I simply want to be able to adjust their volume via OSC. I even tried downloading and editing the TouchOSC examples that have been posted to see where OSC messages were going from the UI, but I couldn't find what I was looking for. I've been reading the OSC table for the past two days and I still have no clue...could anyone point me in the right direction on how to address these channels?

Below is a screen grab. I want to address the 4 channels in the bottom left. I renamed them "channel1, "channel2", "channel3" and "channel4"

http://i.imgur.com/LQ52R4Z.png

Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: Changing hardware output volumes via OSC

If you have Touch OSC correctly set up, you should be able to hit the "outputs" button on the upper right section and this will make the faders control each of your outputs.  What do you see when you hit the "outputs" button?  A screenshot would help.

Ah sorry for the misunderstanding, I'm not actually using the Touch OSC app. I was looking at the layouts in the Touch OSC editor to see what each UI element was addressing. I've never used the app before, only the editor as a reference for OSC addresses for Total Mix. I'm writing a few custom apps to control specific things in Total Mix, so getting a sense of how to send OSC messages to the right address is essential!

At the moment TotalMix only supports an 8-Channel bank mode, more like Mackie Protocol than universal OSC, focused on TouchOSC-like apps. So in your case you have to switch to page 1, navigate to Output-Row ("busOutput") and a bank starting at Channel 0 ("setBankStart") , than you can control "volume1" to "volume4" (up to "volume8").

Perfect! Thank you so much, that is exactly what I needed to do. For future reference, here is my code (I'm using openFrameworks) for anyone curious. As a quick proof of concept test I used key presses to select busOutput, setBankStart, then add a float value to be sent to volume1.

if (key == 'q'){
        //navigate to page 1 and busOutput
        ofxOscMessage m;
        m.setAddress("/1/busOutput");
        m.addFloatArg(1.0);
        sender.sendMessage(m);
    }

if (key == 'w'){
        //navigate to setBankStart
        ofxOscMessage m;
        m.setAddress("/setBankStart");
        m.addFloatArg(1.0);