1 (edited by m:o 2013-07-20 09:16:50)

Topic: Multiface I started to distort/noise

I have a wierd problem with my trusty 1st gen. Multiface, which i haven't
found here covert.

specs:
Multiface I (around 2002) latest Driver
Cardbus with PCMCIA to PCI Adapter (works flawless)
Intel q6600
Asus P5KC board

After initialising the Multiface (host light blinking - then both midi states flash - then host light goes out)
some distortion/noise/crackling/low freq. pulsing combo comes out of my speakers with no signal in the totalmix.
(The first seconds the noise pulses in the exact rhyhtm of the blinking host light)
If i start some music on my computer, i comes ultra fuzzy and slowly fades to normal after app. 30 sec.
The noise is gone after that time. The same happens when i put some signal into the Multiface - distorts
for the first 30 sec. then OK. 

I have the feeling this happens when the Multiface is first switched on after some time resting (1 night).
If i reproduce the thing after it was running a while, the noise time gets shorter and  it quickly fades to normal
sounding after starting the Multiface.
somehow like its charged with some current whick has to slowly bleeds out...

what happens here?
any help very welcome
best, Mo

Re: Multiface I started to distort/noise

Power supply problem. Either the one you use externally (try a different one) or the circuits inside the MF.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by m:o 2013-07-20 10:06:27)

OK. Thanks for the fast reply.

what can i do?

i use the original power supply. can i use some "universal power supply" from
the electronic shop around the corner to check ?

it' possible to check the internal circuits on my own without some measurements tools?

idea:
some long time ago i soldered a switch (simple on/off) to the power cable wich goes into the MF
to easy switch it on/off instead of plugin the powers supply in the wall. hence there's little amount
of physical tension on the power jack which constantly is plugged in the MF. Maybe the connction socket
is loose...?

I just ordered a new power supply and everything works fine again !:-)
soo good