1 (edited by Eric Bradley 2013-08-01 11:00:06)

Topic: TotalMix FX iPad app.

Just saw this on the main site.
Looks awesome.

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_index_musikmesse_2013.php

http://www.rme-audio.de/images/products/totalmix_fx_app_bg.jpg

RME Fireface UFX
Mac Mini 2.6 GHz 16 GB Ram Areca RAID | MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz 16 GB Ram | OS 10.10.5

Re: TotalMix FX iPad app.

Awsome! Just guys from RME, don't dare to publish it only for iPad! tongue

OSCAR for Android and iOS with TotalMixFX templates: http://www.oscar-app.de

Awesome!  Looking forward to trying it.

So does this mean one can record direct to the UFX USB output (using TotalMix to set the levels) without having to record to Cubasis or Auria on the iPad?

Right.

Brilliant!

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

Awesome! I think I "might" change my iPad this summer...

Will it also be usable as a remote when the interface is connected to the computer? It would be much more practical than TouchOSC.

Don´t think this would work...and I´m still concerned over the "no charge" issue - this would be a perfect small location mixer, but not when I have to bring three spare iPads for one day of work...:)

9 (edited by pianogineer 2013-04-26 23:39:32)

Anyone heard a more specific ETA than the "Summer 2013" that's posted on the site?

Also, the blob on the site says "TotalMix FX for iPad® adds full control over hardware mixer and DSP effects for Fireface UFX, UCX and Babyface when in Class Compliant mode, and lets users create, store and load complete mixes directly from the iPad."

Does this mean that the app will only work when the interface is connected to the 30-pin (or I guess thunderbold) port on the iPad? Or, will wireless control of TMFX somehow be possible?

10 (edited by togril 2013-04-27 06:00:51)

TGL wrote:

Don´t think this would work...and I´m still concerned over the "no charge" issue - this would be a perfect small location mixer, but not when I have to bring three spare iPads for one day of work...:)

Yes,
RME have totally stepped up to the mark on the "standalone and iOS compliancy" stakes, and this is another fine example of diversifying our exsisting kit.
But the whole charging thing is the stopping point (for me). I do use my babyface with my ipad, but i find i am too aware of the battery most of the time to use it how i want to or to the potential of the hardware. Those ipads take a time to charge.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

~ Albert Einstein

Burtan wrote:

Awsome! Just guys from RME, don't dare to publish it only for iPad! tongue

+1

12 (edited by fbeauvaisc 2013-08-14 05:46:31)

togril wrote:
TGL wrote:

Yes,
RME have totally stepped up to the mark on the "standalone and iOS compliancy" stakes, and this is another fine example of diversifying our exsisting kit.
But the whole charging thing is the stopping point (for me). I do use my babyface with my ipad, but i find i am too aware of the battery most of the time to use it how i want to or to the potential of the hardware. Those ipads take a time to charge.

I totally agree! I use my ipad alot and it rarely gets to 100% charged. Sadly makes this feature cool but unreliable. I would use the app for visual and tactile help but without reliable power, I'll stick to a laptop or the standalone controls. I'm a touring musician and I want to use the UFX for the band's stage monitoring (reliability needed) and recording live so a tablet would be alot better and more discreat than a laptop on stage. Some tablets use different ports and could be powered during use. Let's hope that RME will not release the app under iOS exclusively.

Just to be clear. I would not use the app to playback, process or record on/from the ipad. Just to route and monitor and be able to use DURec at the same time. In other words, better display and controls for the standalone features. It that what the app is aiming for?

The app aims to do what TM FX does on the PC/Mac - no more, no less. It is not a recorder (other than Durec) or DAW.
And since there is no way to connect BF, UCX, etc. to e.g. Android based tablets, it will only be released for iOS...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

It would be perfect if power was'nt an issue. So I gess a laptop with wireless control via ipad is still the best solution in this case.

Would it be possible (even if not existing yet) to have a wireless adaptor pluged into the UFX (without need for pc/mac) that would talks to the ipad so that the TMFX app could control the UFX's routing, mixing and DURec wirelessly while being plugged for power front of house or on stage? Like the touch osc does with a router but without a router and computer.

Just a wifi smart adapter pluged in the back of the UFX, an ipad & the TMFX app. Now that would be great!

Is that even possible?

Thanks!

Not at all.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

17 (edited by fbeauvaisc 2013-08-14 09:20:46)

I'm sure it would be possible using the remote input of the UFX but insted of using the wired very limited advanced remote, devellope a wireless receiver that would talk to the ipad and tmfx app. Now there as been remote controled devices since the early 30s so it's definitely possible and would make a great deal of sens to be able to wirelessly remote control the UFX with the TMFX app. Am I crazy?

That way you eliminate the power issue and you have something even more versatile. Plenty of advantages being able to mix from different spots. I know it can be done with a computer, router and 3rd party apps but it seems more complicated than it should be.

Thanks

Everything that you ask for a is a software function from TotalMix FX desktop software. Without computer, means stand-alone, even the ARC is limited to volume and switching the 6 setups stored in the unit. A wireless setup would mean to indeed run the UFX again by a computer and talking to the TotalMix FX software.

The iPad app works because it directly communicates with the UFX via USB, replacing the desktop computer. The only way to make this wireless is by sending USB2 over the air.

Regarding charging the iPad: it should be clear meanwhile that there is nothing RME can do to change that on existing devices.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the explanations, looking forward to try the app anyway. Too bad that it will have limited battery life. Makes it practicle but very inconvenient. I agree that the ipad is not RME product so good job on making the app. Now lets complain on ipad forums about lack of auxilliary power input!

Cheers!

fbeauvaisc wrote:

I know it can be done with a computer, router and 3rd party apps but it seems more complicated than it should be.

Thanks

it may be possible to control UFX mixer without a computer but you would need some sort of standalone USB to wireless or midi to wireless converter box.. Im not sure if usb exists but there is a midi converter

http://wifimidi.com/

in theory if you plug that into one of the UFX midi ports and run touchOSC it may work ?? Im not sure, as i dont have the ability to test it but it is something i had been interested in..

The ipad app is nice idea but i also feel unconfident about having no plug in power.. I had resolved myself to thinking a windows tablet would be a better option if i want to use UFX live without a laptop..

21 (edited by garry 2013-08-14 19:00:46)

RME Support wrote:

The app aims to do what TM FX does on the PC/Mac - no more, no less. It is not a recorder (other than Durec) or DAW.
And since there is no way to connect BF, UCX, etc. to e.g. Android based tablets, it will only be released for iOS...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Partly correct.... Android itself doesn't provide the driver needed to connect Class Compliant devices, but a lone developer has written a custom driver for his android application https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … &hl=en which I have been using for a long time now, and is rock solid/100% reliable. I use it for recording hours on end of 10 channel multi-track from my babyface to a motorola xoom.

A lot of Android tablets you have access to charging while using a separate usb for connecting babyface/ufx etc and even separate micro hdmi port if you needed to output the display at the same time, so on connectivity they make more sense than ipads. (also optional SD cards you could record to or use for backup)

RME have stated that Android will never be supported (maybe as its linux based, they would be revealing their code/secrets, and as IOS its such a closed system that releasing totalmix for IOS isn't an issue.) wink

Although the other thing, if I was a developer it would make more sense & surely be easier to develop for 1 device (ipad) than hundreds of different android versions/different manufacturers .

_

RME HDSP9652 | | RME Digiface USB

22 (edited by fbeauvaisc 2013-08-15 00:09:46)

Although the other thing, if I was a developer it would make more sense & surely be easier to develop for 1 device (ipad) than hundreds of different android versions/different manufacturers .

Mabe for the developer but RME's drivers are know for being rock solide on both windows & mac wich is a big advantage. Another thing, I read in this forum, a post in 2010 by RME support that it would be very unlikely to see a TMFX app see the day and yet there it is. Things that seem impossible but very usefull will most likely see the day at some point. Let's give it time, the app is'nt even released yet!

Cheers!

When ???

Can't wait to use my iPad with the UCX......

wow!

any releasedate yet?

25 (edited by neirbod 2013-08-15 15:31:21)

MC wrote:

The iPad app works because it directly communicates with the UFX via USB, replacing the desktop computer. The only way to make this wireless is by sending USB2 over the air.

Matthias, does this mean you will be able to use the iPad TMFX app as the hub for wireless control via OSC or MIDI?  I would love to be able to have an iPad wired via USB to a UFX, and then use Lemur or TouchOSC to control the unit wirelessly with a second iPad or iPhone.

As for the charging issue, I am hoping the new iPad will use inductive charging.  If one could plug in an inductive power transmitter that recharges the iPad batteries wirelessly this could be solution many are seeking.  It appears to be on Apple's "to do" list based on a recent patent application, but who knows how long it will take to be implemented.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-a … rging.html

neirbod wrote:
MC wrote:

Matthias, does this mean you will be able to use the iPad TMFX app as the hub for wireless control via OSC or MIDI?

No. The iPad app is a close, but not complete copy of the desktop version. Stuff like this (obviously I would say) is not included.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi there,

I have been waiting for the launch of the iPad app for Totalmix FX and checking the app store every other day from the time summer started.
Any tentative launch dates for the app?

Thanks so much.

G.

Simply follow this thread. As soon as Apple receives the app for checking I will announce it here.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I see a lot of talk around the battery issue.
Wouldn't those simple "dual" USB cables work? Which are normally used to provide extra power to a portable external hard drive, for instance.
Two equal plugs that allow you to connect to both ipad and charger, and to the interface in the other end.

This post will be deleted after you read this thread:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16104

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for pointing this out.
So from what I understand, the iPad Camera Connection Kit (CCK) only allows data to pass through, not power.
Which means that unless we can somehow bypass the CCK, there is no actual solution...

I'm trying to figure this out since I too am considering moving from the computer to the iPad.

There could be an accessory out there with the sole purpose of injecting power between the iPad and the CCK.
A dock extension cable (male-female) could work. You could open up that cable and provide power to the wires directly.
However, depending on the overall quality of the cable and this procedure, data reliability could become compromised.

Thank you again.

None of this. Powering requires special hardware plus a signed secret key from Apple used during USB data handshake. No 'cable' will do it, and that's why no such cable exists.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

To me it's getting more and more obvious that the way to go (if powering is a priority wich it will be for me) is to let go of the ipad that is nice but overpriced anyway. I'm now thinking of windows 8 tablets that can be much cheaper. Windows 8 now supporting apps and I'd have to look it up but I think it should work with the existing totalmix fx software. Mabe someone else can answer that. I would'nt run a daw with it but for direct recording and monitoring, it should work fine.

Anyway I know it's a thread about the app and I don't want to make the thread diverge but anyway I think it's something worth looking into and might be the answer to the ipad not being reliable for longer sessions. The ipad was the first apple product I owned and alltho I like it alot, I still might sell it used to buy a brand new windows 8 tablet without loosing a dime. wink

Just a though.

fbeauvaisc wrote:

To me it's getting more and more obvious that the way to go (if powering is a priority wich it will be for me) is to let go of the ipad that is nice but overpriced anyway. I'm now thinking of windows 8 tablets that can be much cheaper. Windows 8 now supporting apps and I'd have to look it up but I think it should work with the existing totalmix fx software. Mabe someone else can answer that. I would'nt run a daw with it but for direct recording and monitoring, it should work fine.

Anyway I know it's a thread about the app and I don't want to make the thread diverge but anyway I think it's something worth looking into and might be the answer to the ipad not being reliable for longer sessions. The ipad was the first apple product I owned and alltho I like it alot, I still might sell it used to buy a brand new windows 8 tablet without loosing a dime. wink

Just a though.

I appreciate the fact RME are pushing the envelope with their interfaces and i hope they continue, but in regards to iPad this is exactly how i feel, it seems to be more a gimmick than anything.  A windows tablet is much more practical for real applications.. do Apple see a small power adaptor as unfashionable ? they like to be antagonistic i find and i think its because people are often intrigued by what they dont understand.. myself on the other hand i just find it annoying.

ebulb wrote:
fbeauvaisc wrote:

Just a though.

I appreciate the fact RME are pushing the envelope with their interfaces and i hope they continue, but in regards to iPad this is exactly how i feel, it seems to be more a gimmick than anything.  A windows tablet is much more practical for real applications.. do Apple see a small power adaptor as unfashionable ? they like to be antagonistic i find and i think its because people are often intrigued by what they dont understand.. myself on the other hand i just find it annoying.

Agree too.
But to speak about powering and battery, FYI, I record between 12 and 16 tracks in Auria with the battery @100%, and after 90-110 minutes of concert, the battery is still @ 86% on my Ipad 1, so there's a margin...
I must admit the first time I do it, I was tense, but when I saw it kills only 14%, now I breathe. wink
If I do the same with a notebook, I don't even think I could let it on battery as I never had confidence in laptop batteries.
I don't know your use, perhaps you want to mix with lot of tracks/plugs all day long, so it's not the same story obviously. I'm only concerned with concert recording.

cheers
Phil

- UCX - Fireface 400 - Sequoia v11.2 -

It must be noted again that the brightness of the display has a big influence on the runtime = battery charge state. A bit less brightness, or switching it off completely in moments not needed, easily achieves runtimes of 6 hours up to 8 hours, even on an iPad 4.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I agree that a full charge will be more than enough but the fact is batteries are unreliable. Every once in a while, If I don't close my ipad completely, it runs and dies in the case, forgetting to charge it can also happen. We are humans. It's a great idea in theory, if all goes like planed but as we all know, it rarely goes like planed. So it's just not full proof. And anyone who his professional (but human) will not want to risk having to say to a client : ''Sorry, my ipad is dead, let me plug it in for an hour or two and we can start this!''

Don't get me wrong. It's great that it can be done it's a very nice ''add on'' and I will probably use it for personal, non critical use but I will never rely on just that. Of coarse, there's always the stand-alone mode in my case with the UFX so I'm never completely helpless.

After reading the posts above on the actual battery drain, no worries for me.

Sometimes we forget where we come from, and fortunately the tools at our disposal have always become better and better over time.

I always take both my laptop and iPad with me, so if and while I can count on the iPad, I'll use it. If it fails, I'll just connect the interface to the laptop.

Workarounds/Solutions/Alternatives will certainly follow, I hope.

How long do we have to wait to see Totalmix for the ipad? Summer is over... wink

I was certainly hoping your post would be "the one" big_smile

me too!

footswitch wrote:

DaveDaveDave wrote:

me too!

footswitch wrote:

Yes, I am DYING to get this app.  I can't even begin to tell you how much it will enhance my workflow with my UFX! smile

Really? How can that be when it only supports the Class Compliant mode? It's a remote just for that, nothing else. Please explain.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

For me, as a sound recordist who also plays in a band, this will make life easier - I'll be able to both adjust a live FOH mix and start/stop recording through DuREC from an iPad mounted on my mic stand. That's something pretty special. No laptop in sight.

Thanks. Some others who would like to add their personal application?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

^ What macksalmon said.
Live usage.

It's about having a touch interface which is ideal for managing such a complete and complex product.
You can just grab the iPad and set any parameter, and quickly start/stop recording.

A laptop on the other hand is bigger, heavier, more susceptible to failure, and you avoid moving it around because of all that.
Also cable positioning, and eventually a mouse to consider.

A tablet will rest quite safely practically anywhere, you can even place some velcro strips on it and attach it to pretty much anything, whereas a laptop always needs more weigth support, preferably one that won't be shaking, and 3D space to operate.

The way I see it, the only thing that can exceed this right now is a tablet pc with actual USB ports and Windows. Like the Samsung XE700, microsoft surface, and whatnot.

For me, it's not even the fact that it may be better in comparison, it's just a completely different thing.

footswitch wrote:

^ What macksalmon said.
Live usage.

It's about having a touch interface which is ideal for managing such a complete and complex product.
You can just grab the iPad and set any parameter, and quickly start/stop recording.

A laptop on the other hand is bigger, heavier, more susceptible to failure, and you avoid moving it around because of all that.
Also cable positioning, and eventually a mouse to consider.

A tablet will rest quite safely practically anywhere, you can even place some velcro strips on it and attach it to pretty much anything, whereas a laptop always needs more weigth support, preferably one that won't be shaking, and 3D space to operate.

The way I see it, the only thing that can exceed this right now is a tablet pc with actual USB ports and Windows. Like the Samsung XE700, microsoft surface, and whatnot.

For me, it's not even the fact that it may be better in comparison, it's just a completely different thing.

This ^^^.  Couldn't have said it any better.

To RME: Are you just collecting feedback from us to determine if the iPad app is even worth releasing?  Or are you just trying to improve what features it already has before release?

Maybe I am just looking for some serious testers...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Well my plan for the future is this:
Using the UCX with an LiLo-Battery and an Ipad mobile in the field (low budget film stuff and field recording). For me something like a Sounddevices recorder is way too expensive. Also I wouldn't use it that often -> waste of money. But the ability to transform my trusted soundcard into a recorder -> 2 flies with one ...
I know there are a lot of disadvantages which would be a no-go for "professionals" but in my situation it's the decision between playing with a Zoom or getting (soundwise) more serious with this.
I would love to beta test your app as I loved your UC-Betatest. But atm I don't have an Ipad :-(
As writen above - plan for the (near) future...

I am very curious about how the touch matrix screen will be handled.
Looking to control six different output mixes with about 20 inputs.
I can imagine it would also be nice to hide/show channels in the matrix.