Topic: HDSPe AIO and RAYdat together?

I have an  HDSPe AIO Pcie card installed in to my system and I need to add 16 more channels of ADAT I/o  does anyone know if I add a Raydat card with the Adat sync and 16 channels of Adat I/o can I use both cards at the same time?    I need 24 tracks of ADAT I/o .. I would love it if the two cards would work together to find any info on it in searching the web...

I contacted RME tech-support but they are out until August 27th....  Glad I don't have a huge issue...

Thanks in advance..

Re: HDSPe AIO and RAYdat together?

No problem. Note that 'ADAT Sync' is something different than 'syncing through ADAT' wink

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC,  thanks for your reply...   I do understand the ADAT sync..  and thanks for bring that up.  I suspect that the way of syncing the audio AISO is thought the optical cables.  correct.   So, by adding the RayDat card I'd just have to take the ins and outs of the Sony DMX R-100 directly to the two cards the first on 1-8 and the other card would be 9-24 channels. 

I"m thinking I'd use the ins and outs and channels at unity gain and the mic pre's on the board for input levels.  How do you think latency will be?   I want to use my board because I can also use my outboard tube compressors on the input of the Sony.. but I am guessing that may add some latency (delay) in the channel..

We use Cubase (right now it's 6.5) but we have upgraded to 7.0 and will install the upgrade at the same time I configure the new card. 

One last question (for now)  Would there be any advantage to use a Digiface external box and interface card rather than a Raydat card? 

I do have a Focusriite Safire Pro 40 and Octo-prees.. but my thoughts are that the preamp s in the Sony and the A/D converter would be a warmer sound over the Focusrite set up.. but I guess I just need to give it a try..

I will comment that I really like the AIO card, it seems very clean and versatile.

davidk wrote:

So, by adding the RayDat card I'd just have to take the ins and outs of the Sony DMX R-100 directly to the two cards the first on 1-8 and the other card would be 9-24 channels.

Yes. You could also use both with the RayDAT, and feed the AIO by TotalMix routing, so that you still have an additional analog output. The AIO analog ins would go to the RayDAT via ADAT or SPDIF...different ways to do it.

davidk wrote:

One last question (for now)  Would there be any advantage to use a Digiface external box and interface card rather than a Raydat card?

I dont see one. The Digiface is discontinued, and the RayDAT has some more I/Os that one could use...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I wanted to post back what all has transpired in my set up and thank everyone for their help.  but I will have one more question at the end of my explanation.

I purchased a RAYDAT card a couple of weeks ago and we have removed my AIO card (for the time being) and have installed the RME card.. it fired right up.  I have successfully interfaced it via ADAT light pipe to my Sony DMXr100 console and using Cubase as our DAW.   We are using the Sony Pre's and A/D on the board and sending the direct outs from the Sony to the RayDat ins on the card.  I currently have 24 channels of the Sony hooked up and the sound is awesome!  My Sony board has only 3 ADAT cards installed and an AES/EBU card I'm looking for another Sony ADAT card with would allow me to use 32 channels back and forth.  So, Now we can track using the Sony board and edit and mix in the box... but we also have the ability to Track with the Sony Edit on the DAW and send the edited tracks back to the Sony as individual inputs where we can mix on the Sony..  with this we have the best of both worlds.

One question I have is when I ordered my Dell, it does not have either an onboard sound card or an adapter card because I removed the AIO card.   When I try to play files using Media player I keep getting errors I"ve tried to configure the "system" in a number of ways but I just keep getting an error.    So, is that because I do not have a sound card?  In the System's audio, I've tried about every option I can find...    Any suggestions? 

Thanks in advance.