Topic: Which best Windows laptop & DAW application to use with a Babyface?

Hello

I'm a seasoned user of Logic, Mac laptops, & RME audio, but a total Windows newbie (I can't even type "@" on a PC keyboard smile. I was asked to choose equipment for teaching audio engineering and mixing in Africa, preferably under the 1000 € mark. My system is great but way too expensive (MacBook Retina + Logic 9 + Babyface/Digiface/Octamic/ADI8Pro). I'll probably recommend the Babyface (regretting there is only one instrument input) , but as far as the laptop and DAW application are concerned I'm totally lost. What can I expect from the cheapest PC laptop available in terms of processing power ? Which application is the most stable, the closest to Logic in the PC World ? etc

Any hint welcome !

Re: Which best Windows laptop & DAW application to use with a Babyface?

I think you need to come downmarket a bit!  Kit them out with a £350 laptop from Toshiba, Acer, Dell etc,. something much cheaper than a RME interface and a copy of Reaper.

It's all going to get stolen pretty quickly anyway :-)

Sure there are cheaper cards, I had a Alesis IO2 as a replacement for a while but, well, I'd rather not compromise too much on converters and preamps if possible...
About computers, you seem to think that any Toshiba/Dell/Acer will do, that's great news, but what about durability, resistance to heat, etc  ? sure this isn't the best place to ask but I'd love to be directed to some DAW oriented laptop bench test or whatever... thanks

4 (edited by Laurence Payne 2013-09-17 14:16:01)

vincentkenis wrote:

Sure there are cheaper cards, I had a Alesis IO2 as a replacement for a while but, well, I'd rather not compromise too much on converters and preamps if possible...
About computers, you seem to think that any Toshiba/Dell/Acer will do, that's great news, but what about durability, resistance to heat, etc  ? sure this isn't the best place to ask but I'd love to be directed to some DAW oriented laptop bench test or whatever... thanks

There's no earthly point in going all audiophile at this price range.  Not much at any price range really - the difference between preamps and converters, over a basic level of competence, will be swamped by differences in microphones, rooms and (most important of all!) source.

All laptops last three years.  It's why you can't buy an extended warranty for any longer period.  Is there a special reason the computers MUST be laptops?

5 (edited by vincentkenis 2013-09-24 19:41:39)

Laurence Payne wrote:

There's no earthly point in going all audiophile at this price range.  Not much at any price range really - the difference between preamps and converters, over a basic level of competence, will be swamped by differences in microphones, rooms and (most important of all!) source.

RME has also lower latency, better drivers (this saves a LOT of time and hassle), greater durability (I still use a Multiface bought in 2002). The Alesis IO2's preamps are not even quiet enough for recording acoustic guitar with a ribbon mic, let alone for stereo recording from a distance, and what I get from an electric bass plugged directly is night and day compared to the BabyFace. And of course the ADAt i/o lets me get as "audiophile" as I want to get in the future, while in this respect I'm stuck forever with cheaper cards. Source, well, magic can happen any time anywhere with anyone and I'd rather have it captured with the best converters and preamps I can get. I just wish RME would put them in an even cheaper card - a FireFace without fx or knobs, just 2 ins 4 outs + ADAT i/o would be great I think

Laurence Payne wrote:

All laptops last three years.  It's why you can't buy an extended warranty for any longer period.  Is there a special reason the computers MUST be laptops?

Unreliable AC power

vincentkenis wrote:
Laurence Payne wrote:

Unreliable AC power

Plenty of other gear needs power!

7 (edited by vincentkenis 2013-09-25 07:32:52)

Laurence Payne wrote:
vincentkenis wrote:
Laurence Payne wrote:

Unreliable AC power

Plenty of other gear needs power!

In my project, only the monitors need power besides the computer. That's another reason to prefer the BabyFace: there are two headphone outputs, one for the student, one for the teacher. Sufficient for working during brief shortages. For longer shortages I have a car battery and a 12VDC to 220VAC converter, then a laptop is also preferable since it draws much less energy than a desktop. The car battery is recharged by a little Honda generator, this is done between sessions because of the noise.