Topic: Multiface II Thunderbolt adapter / PCMCIA

Hi,

I have been using the Multiface II with the RME`s PCMCIA card ( HDSP Cardbus ) connected via an Express Card 34 Adapter to my windows laptop as shown in the following image. And it worked perfect,  with no problems, no latency issues or any other issues.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=9c13200eea&view=att&th=141bc0a0104a21d6&attid=0.1&disp=thd&zw

Recently I have switched to the new generation of macbooks which lacks any card slots of this sort.

The only option would be to use a second adapter that would connect the interface to the macbook via its Thunderbolt connection.

http://img2.macsales.com/imgs/ndesc/Sonnet/STIECHOPROE34/STIECHOPROE34_hero.jpg

The problem is that there aren`t any adapters that would connect the RME`s HDSP Cardbus PCMCIA directly to this Thunderbolt Extension. This is the only option, meaning that I would have to use the first Express 34 adapter that I was using with the Windows laptop in between (the red one from the first image).

RME Cardbus (to) Express 34 Adapter (to) Sonnet Adapter (in) Thunderbolt port / Macbook

What they say:

Sonnet's Echo ExpressCard/34 Thunderbolt Adapters expand Thunderbolt connectivity to support more than just storage systems and monitors. The Pro version supports ExpressCard 2.0 cards at full bandwidth. This Sonnet adapter adds an ExpressCard/34 slot to any computer to which it's connected, enabling you to use a wide variety of ExpressCard/34 cards to add a range of interfaces and capabilities to your system.

What are the problems that I might encounter in this process ? Will this work ?

Thanks in advance

Re: Multiface II Thunderbolt adapter / PCMCIA

Nobody knows. You can try it, and when it doesn't work get yourself the HDSPe Expresscard, then it definitely will work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The HDSP drivers for Intel Mac systems do not support the PCMCIA (and PCI) cards. I don't expect this to work...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

He's right, so CardBus won't work anyway. Only the RME HDPe ExpressCard will.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by alecsm 2013-10-15 21:22:49)

These are some bad news as I have already ordered the device that connects to the macbook via the thunderbolt port.

Thanks for the prompt responses nonetheless !

But I don't see any reasons on why it should not work. Could you please elaborate ?

In the past, I have connected the RME's PCMCIA CardBus to an older Macbook that had the PCMCIA 54mm port and I haven't encountered any issues with the drivers. ( although I am not sure if I correctly understood what the RME Support referred to though)

Checking the specifications of the RME CardBus on the RME website:

"...the card offers highest compatibility by being 100% Plug & Play compatible under Windows and Mac OS, and being able to share interrupts."

The cards transfer the same data from one adapter to the other at great speeds. This thunderbolt device has been made specifically for the ExpressCard 34 which acts as an intermediate between RME and the device. The only difference being the width.

It's like I would have the RME CardBus directly into the MAC.  (as I had it before but with an older version as previously stated )

The difference is that your older, Cardbus equipped Mac was a PPC Mac. Apple dropped PCI and Cardbus with the introduction of Intel based systems. As a consequence, support for these devices has been dropped from the further development of the HDSP drivers that support PCIe and Expresscard devices.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi guys. Long time RME user here. I have digiface with both PCI hdsp and PCMCIA (cardbus) hdsp. Fantastic cards, have been awesome to me over the years.

Finally got a MacBook Pro. Expensive, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.
Now, I'm fine with having to buy an expresscard version to get me access to the digiface via e mac. And I'm fine with having to buy a sonnet echopro and thunderbolt cable. Cheapest I can find all that stuff right now is about £440. Is a little bit ouch along with the MBP cost, but you RME guys should get some upgrade sales too huh? wink

BUT Even though apple dropped support, there are adapters easily available and I'm seeing an awful lot of people that are trying to get the system going with the older PCMCIA cards and these adapters. In fact, an increasing number of people. I considered it myself too!

Perhaps it might be advisable to put a very clear note on the drivers page regarding this. It will stop a lot of people wasting their money (£40-£60) on PCMCIA to expresscard adapters, when they should've put it toward the lovely hdspe! The wording as it stands seems to suggest that the hdspe driver will work with hdsp!

Or maybe go ahead and write a driver for the old card on intel mac and charge people for it as a "downward compatible software" pack... You might have a few customers... smile

Anyway, keep up the good work. I'll be buying an expresscard as soon as Ive got the cash together. (Oh and please make a nice soundcard with a built in thunderbolt interface, I'd far rather give my money to you for an elegant integrated solution rather than to sonnet for a messy load of adapters!)
thanks! Neak.

There is no chance for the software developers to add a firmware for this version of PCMCIA cards for Intel based systems ?

I am certain that the request is high as there are many customers using the CardBus for Multiface II which is a strong powerful interface and it seems to be wider spread on CardBus than on Express.

It is unacceptable for such an interface to not being able to be used with CardBus on the new MacBooks.

At this moment my only option is to sell the interface. And it is a complete shame and I am truly disappointed.

Paying a minimum of £250 just for an ExpressCard is not a solution.

alecsm wrote:

There is no chance for the software developers to add a firmware for this version of PCMCIA cards for Intel based systems ?

I am certain that the request is high as there are many customers using the CardBus for Multiface II which is a strong powerful interface and it seems to be wider spread on CardBus than on Express.

It is unacceptable for such an interface to not being able to be used with CardBus on the new MacBooks.

I second that. Same problem here. Don't worry, RME I'll be my life with your products if they are supported when it is posible. I also bought a fireface, and I won't stop buying if you show me customers are important for you. (... in France, we are not lucky with your customer service).

10 (edited by pflo99 2013-12-02 22:59:10)

Add me to the list of disgruntled new mac users..... I purchased the Sonnet Echo Pro on the recommendation of RME Admins here. Have the Multiface 2 and the two cards that came with it for PC ( the PC card and the internal rear mounted one for towers) .

This is the confusing part.... You have PC cards, PCie cards, PCMIA cards ... Its getting ridiculous!

Suffice to say... The card i have is WIDER and THINNER than the slot on the Echo Pro!

If I have to buy yet ANOTHER card or adapter, it would be cheaper to just buy another interface from another company like Roland ( whose new interfaces are amazing and require on cable) , or keep the multiface and buy a used old PC and forget about it.

I mean, if im just supposed to drop the PC card because it wont fit the Sonnet, and buy a hDSPe Expresscard AND a Sonnet to get this to work , thats over 800 bucks! There are plenty of new interfaces available for less, with less hassle.

RME makes great sounding interfaces, but driver support/ adapter upgradeabilty is abysmal.

good Morning

this adapter works ?