Topic: ground hum in headphones from RayDAT

...this is a strange one. Basically the noise from my graphics card fan (I think) is somehow making its way through the RayDAT and into my headphones and monitors which are connected to a UR824 through ADAT. I'm struggling to see how this is so with a fully optical connection, but it's there. The UR824 is not connected via the USB, it is in standalone mode so there is no physical connection with the computer aside from the ADAT cable. They do however all share a surge protector. Also my computer case is full now, the Raydat card is right next to the graphics card and the expansion is in the next slot along. Will swapping the positions help the noise?

The graphics card is noisy too, the fan is terrible so might swap it for one with passive cooling. However, the temperature of the gfx card idles around 67 degrees now with the RayDAT installed next to it, and the fan is on 50% looking at SpeedFan.

Anyone have any suggestions? How hot is too hot for a graphics card? My main concern is the RayDAT getting too warm!

Re: ground hum in headphones from RayDAT

That sounds really strange. There are several things you could try, and first is probably to try Raydat on different slots, and make it as far away as possible. You know, it's a PCIe 1.0 card, so it could be installed in other PCIe 2.0 slot as well. For that, I guess you have to remove some other cards, just for diagnostics.

If it doesn't change the noise, getting fanless card is not really a big deal. Most of them are less than $100, but also they are not as powerful as those with big fans. I can recommend Radeon 6450 or 7750 lines, or Nvidia GT630 line.

As to the temperature of GPU, 67degree is not so much to worry about, and you'll actually see higher temperature with the fanless GPU cards. I've been using those fanless cards for 3 years or so, and none of them actually failed. But I also install big case fans (like 200mm) on the side of the case, so that cool air is delivered to the GPU's heatsink.

My case is very cramped, its a Dell XPS 8300 and it only has 1 pci x16 slot for graphics, and 2 x1 slots. I've changed the positions of the cards but the noise remains. As I move windows around on my screen, the noise increases. Very strange.

I have three fans inside the computer, one at the front which i assume is intake, one on the cpu, and one rear for exhaust. I have never once in my life heard these fans ramp up, I can only make them audible with SpeedFan and my processor heat is usually around 37 degrees. It's the noise of the gpu fan that's really annoying though, I can hear it on my recordings so I will get a fanless 6770, looking at the sapphire model so far.

Thanks for the insight. I'll order the card and see if anything changes!

Most of the time disabling cpu throttling fixes this. Go into the bios and disable speedstep Ce1, 3 etc. But also explain your setup in great detail. What is connected to what. List all!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Okay, so it turns out it was my monitor mixer making it much worse. It's literally been sat there for roughly 5 years and I never thought it would cause so much damage. *facepalm* I had a crappy Behringer 2ch mixer inbetween my UR824 and two sets of speakers. I was using balanced jack cables? Still doesn't explain to me why the graphics card noise would be so loud. I changed the graphics card to a passive model and it runs at a merry 37 degrees, and 45 when it's under full load. Much better.

There's still a tinge of the electrical noise when I move windows around on the monitor, but only when I really crank my speakers. I now have my monitors connected to my ADA8200's outputs on XLR, and it's much better. It's completely gone in the headphones. I think there must be some problems with my electrical wiring. Never mind. Move along, only noobs to see here.

Now onto the next issue, controlling the volume. ADA8200 outputs have no physical control, and without my little mixer i'm using TotalMix. It works okay using TouchDAW with my phone when i'm not right by the machine. Would be nice if TotalMix had an android app also wink

Or even if TouchDAW had a proper TotalMix preset... posted about that one on their website!
Thanks again

Some Behringer products are known for their noisy nature...so it makes sense wink

By the way, it still sounds you have some noise, even it's negligible level, and in my opinion it's worth testing a few things. One thing is a clock source and if you have a good word clock cable, you can use it Raydat as source, ADA8200 as slave. Also, check all the balanced cables and shields. When you open the socket, sometimes shield (pin 1, sleeve) is disconnected due to cold solder joint, stress over the years, etc.

As to the monitor control from ADA8200, I recommend to use passive monitor controller like TC Level pilot, instead of mixer. If you use mixer, you would need at least Mackie VLZ3 series. TC Level pilot will allow you to use TotalMix at 0dB out all the time, while adjusting the level of monitor for the comfortable level. If you have two sets of monitors, you will need two, but they are less than $100, so getting two isn't really expensive.

7 (edited by gregor 2013-10-30 09:53:02)

Hi weezul!
Regarding the TotalMix android control you can just try an android app "OSC-Commander" which was developed by forum user BURTAN, the app topic:
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18372
I installed the trial version but had no chance to test it longer than few minutes, however it looks promising and for sure it works with my Nexus 7. The app layout is quite nice -very similar to that from iPad OSC control app...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … &hl=de

Masaaki wrote:

Some Behringer products are known for their noisy nature...so it makes sense wink
I recommend to use passive monitor controller like TC Level pilot, instead of mixer.

That's gorgeous!