Topic: Feature request: Multi-touch support for Total Mix FX

I started to use Surface Pro 2 with UFX, and I'm still testing how much I can push this Windows tablet.

One thing I want is the ability to zoom in and out faders and buttons by 'two finger gesture' like the way CNN news anchors or weather guys show on the huge touch screens. So far, the Total Mix FX doesn't do very well with 'finger' touch, although Surface Pro 2 comes with stylus pen, and the stylus actually does very good job.

Anyway, I believe touch is the PC laptops standard feature, and there should a lot of UFX, UCX and Babyface users who uses touch based PC laptops. So, compatibility and support for touch will be a good addition to Total Mix FX as well.

Thanks!

Re: Feature request: Multi-touch support for Total Mix FX

There will be no pinch. It is impossble to implement because the gui is full of objects that you want to use. There is no free area where a pinch gesture coud be detected quickly and where there is no chance to screw up one or the other setting. We are talking serious stuff here. You really want to risk to blow the PA speaker because you try to pinch? No way.

Therefore in the iPad app, where everything is already optimized for touch operation, we have a special zoom button which toggles between small (overview) and normal. Which reminds me that this software is based on bitmaps, and free zoom would look terrible anyway...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Oh well, I was hoping a reply something like "the project is underway...so stay tuned!", but I agree there are so many small things and it's very difficult to implement touch functions 'within' TotalMix.

Alternatively, is there a possibility to port 'TotalMix app for iPad' to the Windows platform? Something like switching view modes, and user interface become more friendly to touch? I would love to have that special zoom button in the Windows tablet as well. Anyway, it's going to be a long shot, so it's just for your food for thoughts.

In the meantime, I started using magnifying tools built in the OS (Win 8.1), and actually it's not too bad. I set up the magnifier increment to 50%, and it shows nice and wide scroll bars to browse entire screen, and +/- corners to change the magnifying level. It's quick enough to magnify certain buttons and knobs like the one in EQ setup, then use a finger to turn those knobs, going back to less magnification by pressing - corner. Operating faders still needs some practice, so I'm doing that right now. I'm getting more comfortable right now.

As you said, I still need to be careful not to blow up speakers, but that's so true even with mouse/keyboard operation.

Of course the touch features from the iPad app will be ported to Windows. Obviously Microsoft is not willing to give up with its Windows 8 touch idea, so latest when the Surface 3 will be announced that platform needs to be supported by anyone (including us).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME