Topic: old HDSP PCI card with multiface II

Hello,

I have a multiface I and an HDSP PCI card that I bought in the early 2000s. Still going strong and I'm considering buying a second Multiface, a new Multiface II.

two questions:

1. Can the Multiface II be used alone with the older HDSP card?

2. I'd like to confirm if, assuming one Multiface is connected to the HDSP, the second unit can linked to the 1st with an ADAT cable and with no HDSP card? (i realise this would limit the sample rate to 48KHz).

Thanks,

Re: old HDSP PCI card with multiface II

2. Not really, it first has to power up with a hdsp card and then be set to stand alone mode and has to keep power. After that yes!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

RE #1:  I believe your HDSP PCI card must be rev 1.8 or newer to handle the additional power draw of the MF-II.  Otherwise, you will need an external PSU with an older HDSP card.

Vin is spot-on with the MF standalone configuration.  If you can keep the standalone MF powered 24/7 (like on a UPS and everything), then it should be fairly painless.  But if you ever need to power down the standalone MF, you will have to re-connect it to the HDSP card to re-load the FPGA's firmware and TM Routings, then set it back to Standalone Mode every time you disconnect power.  A small drawback for the broad flexibility of the Host/Client relationship of the HDSP Card and the breakout box.

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Thanks vinark and Randyman for your replies. I may then go for a cheaper non-RME ADAT interface to get the extra outputs I need.

If however I do decide to get a Multiface II *with* an HDSP, can this system be reliably synced with my existing Multiface I/HDSP? If so, I'm not sure how that should be done. Is this done with a cable from the Word Clock out of one Multiface to the WC In of the other? Or some sort of internal connection between between the two HDSPs?

thanks again

Can be done through al connection. Wordclock, adat or spdif from master to slave.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

I've been using MF I + MF II since years now... though I've got two PCI cards (old and new). No matter to which I connect which MF -- they work both ways. Never needed to try to use MF in 'standalone' mode. I connect one ADAT Out to In in the second MF -- you need to set the 'feeder' as Master so the second's clock is synchronized to it. Then you've got 16 channels visible in one mixer. If I need more output mixes, I connect the second ADAT cable other way around, then I get 10 independent stereo outputs in total.

If I were richer, I'd replace my old MF with Octamic II -- much simpler configuration, however I'd lose 5 stereo outputs...

Anyway, this configuration works perfectly (despite that rear spider's web).