Topic: Jitter reduction by buffer size?

Hi,

when doing some tests for obtaining optimum sound quality, I noticed that using the maximum buffer size (4096 @176.4kHz) when doing realtime rendering resulted in a slightly more detailled and natural and a little more upfront result than the smaller buffer size I usually use for minimum latency (256 @176.4 kHz). Can other users confirm this behaviour?

From the nature of the sound difference, I would assume that the PC or the RME card shows an improved jitter performance with higher buffer sizes.

Maybe this could become a feature request. Maybe the RME driver could offer an extra entry with an unusual high buffer size for cases when lowest jitter-performance is wanted.

(HDSPe AIO <-> TOS Link optical SPDIF <-> Reclocking devices <-> DA/AD)

Kind regards
Finn

Re: Jitter reduction by buffer size?

No, I'm afraid this is your imagination or expectation bias. Jitter only affects the conversion and does not change with latency.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Re: Jitter reduction by buffer size?

Yes, maybe this is not about jitter at all. Or it is just my setup that behaves this way. That's why it could be interesting to know if other users get similar results?

If there is a sound difference with larger buffer sizes, who cares what's the exact reason for it, as long as it sounds better? Could be a chance for further mastery ...