Re: TotalMix FX iPad app.

I try to connect my UFX to the iPad TotalMix FX APP, when I plug the USB cable to the APPLE USB Kit,
the UFX sample rate will change to 96KHz.

I try to reboot the UFX and iPad, change the CC mode between Ch22 and Phone,
the app just can't connect to the UFX.

Can some one help me?

info:
iPad (3rd Gen)
iOS ver 7.0.4
UFX SW ver 1.5.3

RME Fireface UFX

I apologise. The information about the Babyface and iPad app is not on the front page of the RME site.

It is on this announcement page, which I got to from the link on the first post of this thread:

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_index_musikmesse_2013.php

This information is quoted on a few audio news sites on the web as well.

I assume from your response that the Babyface is not supported?

Ah, the text seems to have been updated already.

Greeeeeeeaaaaaattttt,
I downloaded the App, switched my UFX to CC mode, connected the iPad via the photokit ... And it worked immediately !!!
I just tryied to play music with some mp3 that were on my iPad, and I could hear them, play with faders... That works !!!
Now I will have to go deeper in the App for routing with instruments and mikes, for example I could not mute the music neither the outputs, it goes on playing... But I'll have to study all this, I saw there is an 'help' section in the app...
Thanks Matthias, that's the best remote control for a sound card that was ever built !!!
Philippe

minisamchan wrote:

I try to connect my UFX to the iPad TotalMix FX APP, when I plug the USB cable to the APPLE USB Kit,
the UFX sample rate will change to 96KHz.

I try to reboot the UFX and iPad, change the CC mode between Ch22 and Phone,
the app just can't connect to the UFX.

Can some one help me?

info:
iPad (3rd Gen)
iOS ver 7.0.4
UFX SW ver 1.5.3

I think it's the same as it was with my UCX. You first have to load latest Flash Tool. At the bottom there is a field you have to activate to update Firmware for CC. Update, restart and enjoy.

RME, congratulations!

This app is fantastic.

One thing i notice: ARC only works as a programmable Remote, when TotalMix App is in Foreground - that's great. Activating other Audio-Software and switching TotalMix in background deactivates the programmable ARC Status so it's only useable with its fixed basic Functions. Perhaps this is a limitation of iOS, but it would be great to use separate Audio-Apps with assignable ARC. Wonderful.

My wishlist for XMas 2014 wink

- Multitrack recording within Totalmix (simply merge Multi Track App with TMFx smile
- Wireless Option to use iPad as a Remote in Computer Based Systems
- Alternativ new UCX Interface with DuRec to use this handy System as a Multitrack Field Recording System Deluxe

MC wrote:
bengersfood wrote:

The copy on the front of the RME website still states:

"TotalMix FX for iPad® adds full control over hardware mixer and DSP effects for Fireface UFX, UCX and Babyface when in Class Compliant mode…"

I don't see that information anywhwere on the 'front page'. Please give me a link so I can change the text.

Late to reply - think its all been done
Maybe the  link was this this one:

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_index_musikmesse_2013.php

And If it was this I checked at the time of my post (92), today, and it stated the same as bengersfood quoted @ 15.00 - as I double checked after reading the app description at the store.
It no longer states babyface, so it has indeed been changed. In the last few hours of release.
And yes, quoted in many other websites, straight from RME official site.

I have literally just received my replacement babyface this evening - the most recent model (from Innovative music) with the "automatic power-on" at 21.00 my time, was hoping it would coincide with the app release.........and I am gutted....
just gutted....and fairly angry, I need to think about this.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

~ Albert Einstein

loonypac wrote:

I think it's the same as it was with my UCX. You first have to load latest Flash Tool. At the bottom there is a field you have to activate to update Firmware for CC. Update, restart and enjoy.

Thanks!

To MC:

The Update page last update date is still showing 11/05/2013
but the new software date is 11/12/2013
maybe can update that!

RME Fireface UFX

Now that we know that the Babyface is not supported by this release of the iPad app, it would be really good to know if RME plans to support it in the future, and if so what the time scale of this might be?

109 (edited by Yodasoldier 2013-12-09 15:33:24)

indeed it was clearly stated on the RME website that the TotalmIx iPad app would work with the Babyface. Could someone from RME who reads these posts please state whether or not support for the Babyface  with the TotalmIx iPad app is coming or is possible ?

can you also offer an explaination why the app isnt free like desktop updates ? i realise its inexpensive but is it a one off thing for a specific reason or are you intending to charge money for other updates also ?

111 (edited by bengersfood 2013-12-09 16:58:48)

ebulb, I don't think that the cost of the app can be considered unreasonable - it's really very low. Presumably there were real development costs involved in creating it.

It is however a real disappointment that the Babyface support that was originally advertised by RME has turned out not to be available.

Like Yodasoldier, I would really appreciate it if someone from RME could post a comment on this thread stating whether or not that support will be coming in a future update of the app.

bengersfood wrote:

ebulb, I don't think that the cost of the app can be considered unreasonable - it's really very low. Presumably there were real development costs involved in creating it.

It is however a real disappointment that the Babyface support that was originally advertised by RME has turned out not to be available.

Like Yodasoldier, I would really appreciate it if someone from RME could post a comment on this thread stating whether or not that support will be coming in a future update of the app.

There are development costs everytime with software updates.. Im trying to understand the point of difference which says that its ok to charge for this update when all others have typically been free. Or is this an indicator they intend to charge for other updates also ?  The price being cheap is besides the point.

ebulb wrote:

Im trying to understand the point of difference which says that its ok to charge for this update when all others have typically been free. Or is this an indicator they intend to charge for other updates also ?

Do you really think developing a brand new app is the same as updating a driver or firmware?  I am no software engineer but this new app seems clearly to be not just an "update" but a new product in its own right, and a very inexpensive one at that.  I personally don't have a use for it as Touch OSC and Lemur are better suited for my needs, but it seems an incredible value.

Great App and i think the price is Ok!

I hope that Digicheck will follow sometimes ... smile

FF UCX - ADI 8 QS(DOTec Madi/Usb i64) - Madi HDSPe(Tco 4)

Brilliant ! Thx. One vote for Digicheck on iPad.

Thanks RME !

Did anyone try the CableJive dockStubz or Scosche passPort together with the Apple Camera Connection Kit?
There must be a way to charge the iPad when using Totalmix FX.

Would be great if somebody knows.

117 (edited by ebulb 2013-12-10 02:38:24)

neirbod wrote:

Do you really think developing a brand new app is the same as updating a driver or firmware?  I am no software engineer but this new app seems clearly to be not just an "update" but a new product in its own right, and a very inexpensive one at that.  I personally don't have a use for it as Touch OSC and Lemur are better suited for my needs, but it seems an incredible value.

Yes i really do think it is the same as updating drivers and firmware..  Its not a new product its an OS crossgrade.. And the reason its the same is because the fundamental work is all coding its just a question of how much.. 

at the end of the day i couldnt care less... but if there is reason to justify this update with a cost then all others probably should have a cost also.. otherwise its like saying i'll charge to make dinner for 20 people in one meal but if you bring 5 people around 4 times i wont charge you.. makes no sense to me.

TM FX for iPad is a completely new product, developed in many months by several people, that has not been a part of the product you bought. You seem to overlook the obvious. You bought hardware with drivers and DIGICheck, and will get free support for these for many years. TM FX for iPad is/was not in the package.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

davidkraus wrote:

Did anyone try the CableJive dockStubz or Scosche passPort together with the Apple Camera Connection Kit? There must be a way to charge the iPad when using Totalmix FX.

We had this topic several times in the forum: Apple actively prevents an iPad to be charged while using its standard USB functionality. Only specially designed hardware with MFI certification can do that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias. Seems a second ipad will solve it then smile

Thought I'd report a potential bug (or two) I found. I've got all of the latest drivers etc ... and was plying back a 96khz DUREC project on my UFX and controlling it fine from the app. Interesting thing when I double tapped on the bottom left of a channel, the keyboard came up and a window so I could type in the fader value I wanted and my UFX reset mid song to 44.1 kHz and of course the playback dropped to half time. Changing files did nothing, it stayed in this sample rate and I had to shut down both units to reset properly. Tried it again to make sure it wasn't a fluke and the same thing happened.
Second bug ?
I'm confused about sample rate info I've seen. From reading on line it looked like you should be able to set sample rate from the app - I understand from the documentation that the app reports what the host program is doing and when you play DUREC files it shows the sample rate they were recorded in - but say your UFX was set to 96KHZ, you were running low on disk space and wanted to make a new DUREC recording at 44.1KHZ can't you use the app tell the UFX to do that ? Unless I'm missing something mine won't. Also, and this might be the other bug, when the UFX is in CC mode and the iPad isn't hooked up I can change the sample rate. Once I hook up my iPad I can still do it. Once I open the app the sample rate becomes 96KHZ and I can't use the UFX to change it. That makes sense as the app has taken over but again shouldn't you be able to set this from the app or from the hardware if the app doesn't do this ? (doesn't matter what the UFX was previously set to, I always get 96KHZ) I've double checked all my firmware etc .. after reading a similar problem above (everything should be up to date)
Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

Setting the sample rate is not done from TM FX as it doesn't process audio at all. It is always done by the currently used app. With no app active iOS defaults to 96 kHz. As soon as the iPad is connected the UFX doesn't allow to set the sample rate anymore, as it can't know who did set it on the iPad (system or app).

That said we saw potential of improvement when TM FX would be able to set the sample rate, but that is more complicated to achieve. Your DURec example would be another reason to look into that. The current workaround is to use whatever app that can set the sample rate, just for that purpose.

The reason for the change in sample rate was most probably the system 'Ding' of closing the dialog. We'll check that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I would love to have the 2 Row Mode for the Mixer and be able to have
battery status in the upper right corner

Kind Regards

FF UCX - ADI 8 QS(DOTec Madi/Usb i64) - Madi HDSPe(Tco 4)

Great app, worth every single cent, but...
I am happy that I did not yet buy a Babyface, for me a bit disappointing that RME does not support it, although it was indicated initially ( as far as I can remember from early announcements). However, first test with my UFX worked fine after update with the latest firmware. Thank you RME, thank you Matthias!

Bassman wrote:

Great app, worth every single cent, but...
I am happy that I did not yet buy a Babyface, for me a bit disappointing that RME does not support it, although it was indicated initially!

Hey ....just rub it in Bassman .. wink

I am still happy with the ipad and babyface ...now that I have found Auria !!!!

Fingers crossed for total mix  in the future ...

Peace

I've been checking this thread every couple days in anticipation of the TotalMixFX iPad app, and am extremely disappointed to read that support for the Babyface has been dropped.

Could a representative of RME please explain to us why the Babyface is not currently supported and please provide a timeline for when support is going to be added. Thank you.

127 (edited by RJB 2013-12-11 05:21:49)

MC wrote:

Setting the sample rate is not done from TM FX as it doesn't process audio at all. It is always done by the currently used app. With no app active iOS defaults to 96 kHz. As soon as the iPad is connected the UFX doesn't allow to set the sample rate anymore, as it can't know who did set it on the iPad (system or app).

That said we saw potential of improvement when TM FX would be able to set the sample rate, but that is more complicated to achieve. Your DURec example would be another reason to look into that. The current workaround is to use whatever app that can set the sample rate, just for that purpose.

The reason for the change in sample rate was most probably the system 'Ding' of closing the dialog. We'll check that.

Makes sense, and thanks for the info. I do love the app, but I would also love the extra layer of control seeing as most of the mobile recording I do is with DUREC on my UFX. I'm quite used to navigating that tiny screen but bigger is better. The navigation is so much easier in the app.  In the meantime I'll look into other apps to control sample rate and if any one has any suggestions I'd be interested to hear them.
Thanks

featherodd wrote:

I've been checking this thread every couple days in anticipation of the TotalMixFX iPad app, and am extremely disappointed to read that support for the Babyface has been dropped.

Could a representative of RME please explain to us why the Babyface is not currently supported and please provide a timeline for when support is going to be added. Thank you.

MC wrote:

Changing the Babyface to iPad mode is quite complicated, as its internal design is totally different from UCX and UFX. As we did not know if Apple will ever let our app pass we did not invest further time into this topic. Now we will do. It should be clear within the next two weeks if such an implementation fits into the BF's FPGA or not.

Updating CC Fw solved my connection issues, thanks MH 3.
The cost of this app is cheap, considering what I Paid for Auria.
Now that I think about it, connectivity to the iPad is why I went with a UCX in the first place!
4U recording rack in one hand, instrument case in the other, and out the door twice a week.
Great job guys, RME is the best!

MH 3 wrote:

I would love to have the 2 Row Mode for the Mixer and be able to have
battery status in the upper right corner

Kind Regards

Casting my vote, these two things would be very useful to me as well.

131 (edited by featherodd 2013-12-11 22:38:40)

Runepune wrote:
featherodd wrote:

MC wrote:

Changing the Babyface to iPad mode is quite complicated, as its internal design is totally different from UCX and UFX. As we did not know if Apple will ever let our app pass we did not invest further time into this topic. Now we will do. It should be clear within the next two weeks if such an implementation fits into the BF's FPGA or not.

Thank you for the clarification MC and Runepune for reposting that reply. I appreciate it.

Here's hoping that the Babyface's PGA can accommodate the code! Fingers crossed!! :-)

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

133 (edited by iuo99 2013-12-12 09:30:47)

Hi,

I want to remotely control my UCX with the app. Is it possible to send additional MIDI data from another app using the midi outputs on the UCX ?

Greetings

Sorry, no. You can use the MIDI I/Os (of course with iPad apps), but there is no connection to the remote functionality of TM FX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi RME guys,

Redirected here from the RME UK guys on Facebook. TMFX is a great step forward but it's missing something!

Two words: Remote Control.

I work at FACT in Liverpool UK, and as our event spaces are Cinemas, and the equipment to run shows sits in soundproofed projection suites, mixing stuff can be really hard.
Also, I've been moving our systems to digital connectivity. our events now run video and presentations from a Mac Pro in Dolby Digital controllers and cinema grade projectors. Finally all fully digital over either DVI-D or Optical cables giving us the best quality signals we can have.

I've recently moved our audio/FoH system to the Mac Pro too, using a Babyface and Behringer ADA8000 to get us the full 10 inputs, along with the audio from video content all going into the Dolby systems over optical cable, allowing us to overcome some of the obstacles of the system (not being able to mix digital and analogue signals to the main outputs).

With all this sitting in our projection rooms, it gives us a lot of control in ways we didn't have before, and with the iPad TMFX app I was really hoping it would function as a remote for the TMFX running on our Mac systems, but it seems not to be.

I'm pleading with you here guys! Remote Control from the iPad app over TMFX running on the Mac would be a godsend.
I'm currently using OSC Commander on our Android hardware to control TMFX, but with plans to add ArtNET DMX controlled via Luminaire on iPad, it would mean running two tablets (or using TouchOSC and just the iPad).
With TMFX now running on iOS, the ability to use the app in remote control mode would make sure that our FoH guys running the gigs can see exactly what they need, and control everything the way it's meant to be, without having to gawp at a third party GUI that could prove a barrier to getting them on board.

Like I say guys, Remote Control would be the cherry on top. Please put it in place.

D

136 (edited by pisco 2013-12-12 21:39:02)

On my iPad the App is permanently connecting / disconnecting to the UXF.
UXF with lastest firmware
Ipad 4 with ios 6.1.2
Apple CCK
UFX in CC Mode

BTW, tried Auria, which connects well.

any hints?

pisco wrote:

On my iPad the App is permanently connecting / disconnecting to the UXF.
UXF with lastest firmware
Ipad 4 with ios 6.1.2
Apple CCK
UFX in CC Mode

BTW, tried Auria, which connects well.

any hints?

Did you tick the box at the bottom of the update window for the latest firmware?

I downloaded the Flash Tool and it Works. I thought the Flash Tool is always the Same and it just Checks the and download the New Version from a RME Server out there.

Just gave the app a try on the UFX - it's simply amazing!
Great handling, navigation, functionality, etc.
It really puts it on a different level... again.

THANKS!

I would love to see it work on the Babyface - that's were I would use it most often.
I hope you can make it happen!

Hi,
My current configuration is a Fireface UFx and an OctaMic XTC connected together with 2 Midi cables and 2 adat cables  plus the usb cable to  to enable to controll all the functions on both units on my PC Win7 with Totalmix FF. That config is working like a charm. (even the 4 monitor outputs)

Just now i downloaded the TotalMix for iPad, and am very curious if this will support my configuration the same way.

I realized I had to buy the usb camera connector though.

Besides that. Is there anyting I have to be aware of when trying my long avaiting TMFX iPad tomorrow? Wil the iPad also be able to control both the UFX and the XTC? Is there any config settings I must remenber to turn on or off for this.

From any of you experienced and skilled guys out there - Please help me out, so I don't get dissapointet tomorrow.

Pål

The app description is 100% clear. No operation besides Class Compliant mode, and no support other than for UFX and UCX. It does not say XTC, and it does not say external MIDI (which is needed to get XTC control in the first place).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,
Thanks for your quick answer. Not the answer I hoped for (but suspected I would get), but at least I now know for sure. I will nevertheless still love your products :-)

are there any plans to make the app for Android ?

Zero plans. That will not happen.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I would also like to request the use of the iPad app as a wireless remote for the standard computer app.  That would simply be amazing.  It would allow the use of my UFX to be a roaming FOH (or monitor) mixer and not worry about battery supply and power issues.

I know this could be complicated and require some base functionality of TotalMixFX to be re-written and/or write another "server" app for the remote but thank you for considering the possibility...  smile

(you will consider this I hope)

/RME user since 1998

Currently owning: UFX, UCX, FF400

...but i don't understand! what's "cc mode fw 7" and how can i install that??...

Mod note: sorry for deleting a part of your post, got confused somehow while answering.

www.eccecello.com

> ...but i don't understand! what's "cc mode fw 7" and how can i install that??...

By downloading the current USB flash tool and checking the 'TotalMix app support' checkbox in there.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

done!
thanks a lot. it took me a while that "fw" was firm ware, and that i had to download "usb flash tool" from your web and then open, and check... dummy me!

let's enjoy it!

www.eccecello.com

149 (edited by gaandi 2014-07-31 07:51:20)

Hi Guys,

just want to friendly remind that there are still TotalMix fans out there waiting to connect their ufx fireface to their ANDROID device.
As you see, android will catch up:

http://www.steinberg.net/de/landing_pag … droid.html

Come on, RME ;-)