Topic: ADAT4 out suddenly not working anymore

Hi,

I am a raydat pci express card user for years without problem. However, today, the ADAT4 out from the raydat to my DM2000 mixer shows no sync on the DM2000 and so does not output any audio. I didn't change anything to my setup. Sometimes i can hear some audio for some seconds and then again it disappears. Also loud noise and distortion can be heard at the ADAT4 outs (25 out 32). Can this be a defective card or do i need to update drivers?

Can this card be repaired by RME?

My setup:  PC windows 7 64 bit with cubase 5 connected 32 channels I/O with  a DM200 digital mixer.

Thanks,

Koen

Re: ADAT4 out suddenly not working anymore

Check the settings dialog - ADAT 4 set to SPDIF mode maybe?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I checked that already but that isn't the case. Also, the fact that distortion occurs and intermittent sound. But anyway, thanks for the tip ;-)

RME Support wrote:

Check the settings dialog - ADAT 4 set to SPDIF mode maybe?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Then I would suggest to send the card in... Repair should be possible.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

FWIW - I just experienced my first ADAT Cabling issue in over a decade.  Symptoms were very choppy sound (if any) and sounds a little like what you are experiencing.  A quick un-plug, blast of air, and re-insertion cleared the problem right up after 10 minutes of prior troubleshooting.

Swapping ADAT ports to see if the problem follows the port is also a great troubleshooting idea.

You very-well might have already done some troubleshooting of this nature, but if not start there before you yank your card out and ship it off for (possibly unnecessary) service.  I was really thinking I had some sort of failure with the sounds I was hearing, and was pleased to discover otherwise...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! I already changed the optical wire from the adat4 out to the dm2000 but that didn't help. But maybe, as you say, i need to clean the ir led inside the adat4 out connector with a blast of air. Hmmm, that might be an issue. I'll come back later if i tried something out...

Thanks!

Koen

Randyman... wrote:

FWIW - I just experienced my first ADAT Cabling issue in over a decade.  Symptoms were very choppy sound (if any) and sounds a little like what you are experiencing.  A quick un-plug, blast of air, and re-insertion cleared the problem right up after 10 minutes of prior troubleshooting.

Swapping ADAT ports to see if the problem follows the port is also a great troubleshooting idea.

You very-well might have already done some troubleshooting of this nature, but if not start there before you yank your card out and ship it off for (possibly unnecessary) service.  I was really thinking I had some sort of failure with the sounds I was hearing, and was pleased to discover otherwise...

cool

Until recently I was using a Digi 9652 and I use to get this once in a while.
As said above, unplugging the optical cables and a blast of air fixed it every time.

Now I use the Raydat and haven't experienced this yet.
Still would like to know what causes it though.
Is it really just crud in the optical connectors?