1 (edited by kafka 2013-12-21 03:30:16)

Topic: New Mac Pro Compatibility

Can anyone can attest to compatibility between the HDSPe card using an external Thunderbolt chassis and the new Mac Pro?  UAD has run into some issues due to Apple changing how PCIe cards are addressed, and I wondered if it might also affect RME.  Thanks.

Re: New Mac Pro Compatibility

I want to know as well!

Dear RME stuff,

Is there a possibility that RME RayDAT (using in Magma Thunderbolt chassis) will NOT be compatible with a new Mac Pro, as it was the case with other manufacturers' cards, such as UAD?

Thank you!

I don't think it'll be a problem with true PCIe cards from RME.

I suspect the UAD cards that didn't work, not are compliant 100% to PCIe, they might be PCI to PCIe bridges for example.
Just guessing here.

I asked Matthias from RME this question regarding their PCIe cards.
And he replied that they haven't had the possibility to test it yet. But will.
IF, and only IF it turns out that something isn't working, RME have the possibility to fix it in their firmware.

Pål

It would be cool to get some testresults from RME
Sonnet is releasing a new Line of expansion boxes soon.

My concerts is Also what happens with totalmix for  our PCIe card (AES/EBU here)
For example re. MIDI control

Regards
Søren Bendixen

6 (edited by GK 2014-01-28 23:07:56)

Thank you for your input, Psvennevig! I appreciate it very much.

psvennevig wrote:

IF it turns out that something isn't working, RME have the possibility to fix it in their firmware.

Was it a part of Matthias' answer?

The quote from the email answer I got from Matthias:
(hope he doesn't shoot me for posting it here)

We cannot tell. We did not receive any information about possible compatibility problems from Apple. We will ask them again now that the Mac Pro is released, although not really available.

The quote from UAD makes no sense to us. There is nothing like 'Base Adress Registers', and we don't know why there should be a limit of 12. PCIe allows up to 256 devices, limited only by the available adress space. We (nearly anyone) use 32 bit adressing. IF Apple would have introduced 64 bit adressing exclusively THEN a lot of external devices/cards would not work anymore, and we would be forced to do firmware updates for most of our cards (which is possible). But that is not really what UAD says, and as long as we don't have further information from Apple we have to wait : -)

Pål

8 (edited by GK 2014-01-28 23:33:23)

Sounds great! Thank you for posting this answer.

psvennevig wrote:

IF Apple would have introduced 64 bit adressing exclusively THEN a lot of external devices/cards would not work anymore, and we would be forced to do firmware updates for most of our cards (which is possible).

Matthias, if you're reading this - could you please confirm that RayDAT is in a "safe list" (in case if a such firmware update will be necessary) ? Thank you!

On Sonnets website they have a compatibility list, even for the new TB2 expansion boxes coming out (in feb).
Don´t know if this means that Sonnet have testet anything in "real life" or what they´ve done, but here it is:
http://www.sonnettech.com/support/chart … index.html

Regards
Søren Bendixen

soerenbendixen wrote:

On Sonnets website they have a compatibility list, even for the new TB2 expansion boxes coming out (in feb).
Don´t know if this means that Sonnet have testet anything in "real life" or what they´ve done, but here it is:
http://www.sonnettech.com/support/chart … index.html

Regards
Søren Bendixen

Sonnet test everything on that list. How ever, I suspect they haven't tested with new Mac pro yet, because the UAD duo is on the list of working cards.

Pål

Nobody tried it yet..?

You know someone who was able to buy a new Mac Pro?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You know someone who was able to buy a new Mac Pro?

Get my 8-core with D700s tomorrow! So yes, it is possible.