Topic: High pitch noise

Fireface ufx
Windows 7 64bit

I'm hearing a high pitch noise everytime an audio program is activated.
(Win media player, reaper, nuendo, ableton)
When all audio soft is closed the noise is gone.
This only happens when the fireface is connected via usb, not when connected via firewire.

Re: High pitch noise

lex de groot wrote:

Fireface ufx
Windows 7 64bit

This only happens when the fireface is connected via usb, not when connected via firewire.

I just got a UCX, and have heard these sorts of complaints - can you say specifically what you are doing? I want to see if I can duplicate it on my own UCX.

What do you have connected to what? Speakers? Headphones? Where is this sound coming from? Any particular setup required to make this happen?

- Tim

Are you guys using laptops?

4 (edited by lex de groot 2014-01-27 08:39:48)

I'm using a desktop, win7-64bit, Intel based...

When the desktop is first booted everything is fine, the fireface is connected, no high pitch noise.
Then when I start any audiosoft, a high pitch noise is produced, it is very low in volume and when
playing some sound it is not noticable... But when stopped and the audio application is still active,
it is there.
When I quit the audioapplication the noise stops.

The noise is on all outputs of the fireface, analog and digital

This is only the case when the fireface is connected via USB
When connected via firewire, there is no noise and everything works fine.

So now I have the fireface connected via firewire, but I would like to go via usb ...

I also have a macbookpro, I'll try later today if the same thing happens there...

tbessie wrote:
lex de groot wrote:

Fireface ufx
Windows 7 64bit

I just got a UCX, and have heard these sorts of complaints - can you say specifically what you are doing? I want to see if I can duplicate it on my own UCX.

What do you have connected to what? Speakers? Headphones? Where is this sound coming from? Any particular setup required to make this happen?

- Tim

lex - when did you buy your unit?

Doesn't matter - this is a usual ground loop problem that needs changes outside the UCX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry, i need to necro this thread.

I have the same problem Win 10, UCX.

Every time audio (any kind: youtube, windows sound, music) is activated, my speakers connected to UCX make this high pitch noise. It's pretty quiet, i mostly hear this when volume is set to 0%. When the audio stops, the noise stops with barely audible "beep" in the end. Like motherboard electronics "bleeding through" to speakers or something.

Maybe useful info:
When i pause youtube video, the sound stops in 10 sec, when i close the tab, it stops in 1 sec.
My volume control does not affect the noise volume.
No noise in the headphones.
The same setup/pc is quiet when i use another operating system (OSX) while doing the same tasks.

Any thoughts?

Nothing???

This forum has a search function. Ground loop and how to resolve it has been explained too often to repeat this again. Also Google will give you lots of hits.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

My apologies, it seems you are right. I disconnected XLR 1-pins and the noise is gone.

Still it's mind boggling how the same issue wan not present when i restarted to OSX on the same machine. (which is the reason why i didn't suspect ground loop) Like, how does windows manage to make the same hardware noisy.

The noise is from the powersupply and the voltage regulators (switching core speeds etc) So maybe windows is using a different power scheme. You can investigate it, with all kind of apps, but if you are happy now I would leave it. Only interesting thing with windows is configure the maximum performance scheme, which is best for audio work, which is easier done on windows then mac.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Different CPU power states (P and C states) affect the noise signature. One example: the higher the CPU frequency the louder the noise (volume). That's one reason why you can sometimes hear it and sometimes not.

Often noise originates from the GPU, too. Frequency of GPU noise usually is tied to current frame-rate (60 fps = 60 Hz base frequency) and modulation depends on current load and image content of the video signal.