Topic: Can I make the phones mix always match the SPDIF mix?

Hoping someone can help me with a bit of a routing query with the RME mixer.

A brief bit of background:
I always monitor through the SPDIF outs of my Multiface II but am frequently changing other routings, switching between sending a copy of the DAW output channels to SPDIF out, or sending the analog ins to SPDIF out, depending on whether I'm patching in outboard FX, but either way, anything I can hear at the speakers is always coming from the SPDIF outs. When I put headphones on, I just want to hear exactly what's going to the speakers.

So what I'd like to do is have the phones output mix always automatically match the SPDIF output, i.e. make it so that whatever audio is present at the SPDIF outs should also be sent to phones. Can this be achieved through any clever routing/loopback?

Thanks
Gabe

Re: Can I make the phones mix always match the SPDIF mix?

Use the Cue button on SPDIF and mix anything to that output.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry perhaps I posted this in the wrong place - I'm referring to the HDSP Mixer / Matrix software, which does not seem to have a cue button?

There is no automatic mirroring in routing. But you can have one output signal (like SPDIF) at two outputs at the same time, by setting Monitor Main to Phones, and Monitor Phones to SPDIF. Now hitting the speaker symbol will make the Phones output always have the same signal as the main output. Unfortunately you loose Dim, TB etc this way.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

What a shame that Dim, Mono and Talkback can't be used. Still good to know though, thanks for your reply!