Topic: Recording 4-channel (Quad)

I'm about to receive the RME Fireface UFX.
My main need is to record a quadraphonic (4-distinct channels) out of a large synthesizer system...

Then be able to play that back and record another 4-channels .. and eventually mix  4+4 to a final 4 channels and then maybe that to stereo....(or best to 5.1 somehow)

My first reading of the TotalMix guide looks like it's made only for stereo mixdown...

Does anyone have experience or advice about how to do this... (I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate)

IF I have to purchase Pro Tools I will , I have Ableton Live 7 (Suite) but haven't used it yet to know if it can do any of this...

THANKS! zenmusic

Re: Recording 4-channel (Quad)

I don't think that TotalMix was ever intended to be a replacement for full featured DAW software. There are many programs which can record, edit and mix multi-track material as you describe. Please don't think that Pro Tools is your only option, as it may provide much more capability than you need and cost more than you'd like. It's time for you to start doing a little research into which DAW will best suit your needs.

Frank Lockwood
https://LockwoodARS.com
Fireface 800, Firmware 2.77
Drivers: Win10, 3.125; Mac, 3.36

I think outputs can be armed to the record mode also.
If they can, just route the synth outputs to the 4 different outputs and record them.
Re-record requires loopback function I guess.

I'm not at the studio around my UFX atm = I can't test this, but I think the scenario you mentioned can be done within TotalMix FX.

Sonicimage studio
RME FF UFX, XTC, ADI-648, MADIface USB
W10 Pro 64bit

thanks for the info.. I'll be able to try this in a few days...

Jayzteroid wrote:

I... I think the scenario you mentioned can be done within TotalMix FX.

It may be possible to do this, but not desirable.  Fl is right - the OP should look into a simple DAW to do this as it is not what the UFX is designed for.

Yep, not the most flexible way to do it.

Sonicimage studio
RME FF UFX, XTC, ADI-648, MADIface USB
W10 Pro 64bit

turns out that TotalMix does this very well... I've recorded quad , 4 discrete channels , played them back through software playback , while recording 4 more channel mixing .... it allows any channel directed to any channel , multiples  if I want , I can set the volume for each...

fortunate that I bought it .. it's wonderful