Topic: RME ExpressCard HDSPe Doesn't Recognize Multiface, Digiface is Fine

I have a strange issue that I'm hoping someone has seen before.

I have a MBPR running 10.8.5 with Thunderbolt. I also have two HDSP cards, one HDSPe PCIe card, and one HDSPe ExpressCard. I also have an RME Digiface and Multiface 1 (i.e. the old one). The PCIe Card is in a Sonnet Echo Thunderbolt chassis. The ExpressCard card is in a Sonnet Thunderbolt ExpressCard Pro.

- The PCIe card correctly recognizes and works perfectly with both the Digiface and the Multiface.
- The ExpressCard correctly recognizes the Digiface and works perfectly.
- However, the ExpressCard card misidentifies the Multiface as either a Digiface, or an RPM (whatever that is), and doesn't work.

My ExpressCard has been updated to the latest firmware 20, and I'm using the latest driver 3.07.  I'm using the same cable in all setups.

Has anyone seen this?

Re: RME ExpressCard HDSPe Doesn't Recognize Multiface, Digiface is Fine

Either the driver/receivers for the communication over the FW cable in the ExpressCard or in the Multiface are not working as expected. Unfortunately to find out which one is not always easy. Right now it looks like the ExpressCard. But maybe it is just the FW cable, please try a different one.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by kafka 2014-02-10 14:09:42)

I swapped through a couple of cables, but the results were the same.  Given that both units work fine with the PCIe card, would you say that's the ExpressCard?

And one more data point, I also have the same result under Bootcamped Win7 using the v3.38 drivers.

Looks like v20 of the flash is the culprit.  I dropped back to v18, and the Multiface came right up.  I'm using it with the v3.07 driver.  I'll check later to see if it works with the Digiface, although I'm not very concerned about that.