1 (edited by jeandado 2014-02-10 20:54:52)

Topic: "speakers B" in the key commands

hey guys,

right now I'm trying to avoid buying a monitor controller by using only the babyface.

for that, I would have to be able to switch to a 2nd pair of speakers (the great speakers B option!)

now there is this passage in the manual:

Key Commands.
Opens a dialog box to configure the computer’s keyboard keys F4 to F8. This dialog can also be used to change the function of the left (Sel) button of the Babyface. It then controls the Speaker B function, directly at the unit. Note that this functionality is limited to the analog outputs 1/2 (XLR) and 3/4 (Phones), because TotalMix performs a special control of the unit for this key function. Easily to see as the LED Input flashes for a brief moment when switching the outputs, as this setting is skipped.

I dont get this. first, I can't set anything for the select-button of the babyface in this menu.
second,  "limited to the analog outputs 1/2 (XLR) and 3/4 (Phones)" sounds like I just have to stick with the current settings - IN, OUT, and PHONES ? because right now Im toggling between OUT and PHONES, but if these are the only options, how could I set anything else?

Or am I missing it completely? Is there any way at all to assign different functions to the hardware buttons (recall, select, pressing the volume knob)?

2 (edited by jeandado 2014-02-10 21:18:35)

Re: "speakers B" in the key commands

this section here leaves me even more baffled:

Speaker B.
Switches playback from Main Out to Main Out B. The faders of the channels Main and Speaker B can be ganged via Link. Via Options / Key Commands switching to Speaker B can also be controlled by the unit’s Select button.

how?

right now I don't see how it should be possible, as I need the selectbutton for switching between out and phones all the time.

Or it should imply that the "link" function makes it possible to adjust the "speakerB"-volume with the knob wheel. but linked or unlinked - when "speaker B" is active, the main knob doesnt do anything.

Open the Key Commands dialog. What is the very first option that you get in there?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

remote control options, grey because there is no remote control.

second box, function keys, f4-f8.

If it is greyed out then the Babyface is not connected. Or you use totally outdated drivers/TotalMix FX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by jeandado 2014-02-11 11:25:23)

its connected, I got version 0.95
last 30 minutes I spent looking forthe latest version, but I can only find demo versions smile

edit: okay I just updated everything and now there is completely different totalmix! checking it out now.

you guys could state that totalmix is in the driver download! that was wasted time.

7 (edited by jeandado 2014-02-11 11:41:28)

well, it didnt change a thing:
I can now select speakerB for "sel." in the remote part of key commands.
but no matter what I set up in this menu, the functionality of In/out/phones and the volume knob stays the same. select switches between the three, and with checked "speakerB" (by mouse or F4) the faders dont move when using the knob.

how is it supposed to be?

It is supposed that you study the manual. In TotalMix FX you have to assign a Speaker B output, via the Assign button beside the Main Out fader.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by jeandado 2014-02-11 16:25:50)

yes, I read the manual, and I assigned a speaker b output. I did all that!

but in the "speakerB(AN1/2 vs Phones)" mode the knob and the select button got the exact same functionality, "link" on or off doesnt matter:

"select" switches between in, out, and phones
with "speaker B" highlighted, the knob doesn't do anything on "out". both the main and the speakerb output are not moving.

Well, if the firmware of your Babyface is as outdated as the driver was, then that function is not included. Please update to the current version 204.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I did that too. I updated everything.

Can you please give me precise numbers: current driver version, version of TM FX, and firmware version that you have in use now?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

TM: 0.996
driver 1.038
DC 5.62
firmware 204

maybe its just me getting it wrong? As I understand, the volume knob on the babyface should control the volume of the speaker B channel, when "speaker B" in the control room is checked, right?

another thing is that for a while now the knob doesn't work when "In" is selected on the babyface. there is nothing moving in TM or the matrix. I updated drivers, tried different mix snapshots and created my own - it's just not doing anything.

should I record a video to show you?

jeandado wrote:

maybe its just me getting it wrong? As I understand, the volume knob on the babyface should control the volume of the speaker B channel, when "speaker B" in the control room is checked, right?

No. That works only in linked mode from the main out fader.

jeandado wrote:

another thing is that for a while now the knob doesn't work when "In" is selected on the babyface. there is nothing moving in TM or the matrix.

Press the button (the big knob).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

okay, but even in linked mode the knob doesnt do anything when speaker B is selected. what should be the purpose of the speakerb/select option in the key command dialog? it doesnt change a thing for me.
Am I getting it right - whatever I do, the big knob will never set volume while "speakerB" is selected?

By pressing the knob at "in" I can switch to set the gain (l,r,lr), but without pressing the knob does nothing at "in".
should it be like that?

sorry for being so relentless about that. Im trying to use the babyface instead of buying a expensive monitorcontroller, and these are the things that matter alot right now.

hello,
I'm sorry to ask again, but Im still wondering what is wrong.

- Am I right that the knob wheel should set the volume for the speakerB channel if speakerB is activated? (linked or not linked)

If the knob wheel is never able to set speakerB volume I wouldnt have to wonder anymore (but this is what I understood) and I can go buy a monitorcontroller smile

Hi- I was never able to get the volume knob wheel to control speaker B either until your posts, until I saw the "link" button on the speaker B channel in totalmix .996. Once I activated it, it actually does allow the volume knob to move BOTH main and speaker B levels. Even though I would like independent control of main vs. speaker B, this at least gives the knob some function for speaker B.

It also will keep the level differences that exist between the two channels when it is linked, for easy a/b comparisons.

Hope yours works similarly!

hey gkephart,
thanks for replying,
my faders work as you describe it, but only if speakerB is NOT activated.
As soon as I activate speakerB, faders don't move anymore, "link" activated or not.

"this at least gives the knob some function for speaker B" shows that mine is not working properly!

Correct. As said above with Speaker B activated in the Key Commands, stepping through IN, OUT and PHONES with the select button should jump over IN automatically. As long as you can still access IN the Speaker B function is not activated.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

yes that is the case, IN is always selectable.

I recorded this video to show you. besides the speakerB issue it also shows that IN doesnt do anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ub1g-n_ … e=youtu.be

Read you own first post again:

> Note that this functionality is limited to the analog outputs 1/2 (XLR) and 3/4 (Phones)

So why are you using it with ADAT as Speaker B?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

22 (edited by jeandado 2014-03-09 11:50:40)

allright! thanks alot!

I dont get the speakerB functionality then. why would I assign some output to speakerB and speak of it as speakerB etc, when the only two possible outputs have their own controls allready?

so finally I know I cant use the babyface as monitorcontroller smile

thanks and sorry for my slow understanding.

("switching to Speaker B can also be controlled by the unit’s Select button." - well, "OUT" and "PHONES" is allready an option, why would I set one of those to speakerB?)