Topic: totalmix not working

When I attempted to launch Totalmix today, nothing happened. The only change from the last time I used it was to install the latest mac os update. Help! (please)

Re: totalmix not working

Repair disk permission on the Macintosh HD (Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility) then reinstall the RME driver.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I got the same trouble on my PC (win 7) when I installed it. I got the TotalMix FX icon on my Taskbar but nothing happens when I click it.

I got a similar problem. I'm on Windows 7 64 Bit and using Fireface UFX. Since today, TotalMixFX won't open when I click the icon. When I do a right click though, I can choose to open a new Totalmix window which then opens and works normaly. I can open and close the window by clicking on the TotalMix icon in the task bar. But when I just close the window manually, then I can't open it up again. And also right clicking the taskbar icon doesn't work anymore.
No matter if have the window open or closed, but after a reboot the whole problem starts over again. Any suggestions?

For the Windows guys, try disabling the "Use D2D" graphics setting in TM-FX.  I had to disable D2D on a PC using Intel HD4000 graphics - but the same card/drivers worked fine on another system with a discrete AMD video card.  Go figure...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

coder2k wrote:

I got a similar problem. I'm on Windows 7 64 Bit and using Fireface UFX. Since today, TotalMixFX won't open when I click the icon. When I do a right click though, I can choose to open a new Totalmix window which then opens and works normaly. I can open and close the window by clicking on the TotalMix icon in the task bar. But when I just close the window manually, then I can't open it up again. And also right clicking the taskbar icon doesn't work anymore.
No matter if have the window open or closed, but after a reboot the whole problem starts over again. Any suggestions?

Reconnect the second monitor. Seriously, yours sounds like the main window is just outside the current screen. If so hold down the Win key and use the arrow keys to bring the window back into view.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Maybe you could let us know which RME device is in use here...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi,

i have a similar Problem:
Fireface UFX with newest driver/firmware... Win7pro 64bit OS.

if i close Totalmix, i can´t restart it until i reboot my PC.
(On my notebook, this problem doesn´t exist.)

I tried to start TM from Windows\system32 oder from taskbar - no success...

Then i tried to deactivate D2D option in preferences: suddely it worked and i could start an close TM many times!
But after rebooting - same problem as before (checked the D2D option - no check mark)

any ideas?
regards,
H.

Newest drivers/firmware refers to which version?

And what means 'restart'? Exit the program and start it again? Nobody needs to do that. Or just close the window and click on the systray icon again?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

10 (edited by winzer 2014-02-18 15:49:30)

Hi,

thanks for your fast respone!

driver/firmware: downloaded today... driver 1042 and firmware 353

your right - no need for closing. But if i accidentally close it with the cross in the top right corner instead of minimizing, i have to shut down the recording program and restart the PC to have access to Totalmix again :-(.

click on tray icon doesn´t work (thats the problem!) only after complete reboot of the PC.

best regards,
H.

I have no clue what is causing this and it is not a known effect. Even the D2D compatibility shows up differently (broken graphics).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

yeah strange...

especially since its working fine on my notebook with the same fireface ufx.

But a friend of mine has exactly the same problem on his PC.
Probably a dual-monitoring issue?

The Users from Post 3 and Post 4 here have the same problem and there is another thread also adressing the same issue!?

best,
H.

13 (edited by winzer 2014-02-18 17:16:06)

ok - i tried some things:

after disabling the second screen, it immediatly worked! opening and closing with the tray-icon works as it should.

now: enabling the second monitor again - its still working... even after some reboots of the computer.

strange... but now i´m happy!

best,
H.

14 (edited by ZenMusic 2014-02-21 02:44:57)

Windows 7 64 Bit and using Fireface UFX

TotalMix .996

to clarify .

I always need to reboot the PC for TotalMix to be visible.. I can see it's < Process Is > running , but the program doesn't appear on the screen. (3 monitors on this PC)

It's quite annoying to have to reboot my PC to get un-TotalMix to work ..   I've replicated this problem on 2 PC's both with multiple monitors..  and the occasional crashes to blue screen .. some missed exception handling ..

First of all we need to clarify if the window is open and just not visible or does not open at all. If you click on the Systray icon, do you see the normal program showing up as entry in the taskbar? Is TM FX then also visible via Alt-Tab? If not then the hardware is not found, which would point to a different problem.

If it is just the window position information, right click on the systray icon and choose 'New TotalMix Window'. This will open a window with default position.

If the position is the problem go to Users\Username\AppData\Local\TotalMixFX. In there you see a last.yourinterface.xml. In that file at the end you find the last saved window position, like

<Frame0>
        <Window>
            <val e="WinPos.left" v="1937"/>
            <val e="WinPos.top" v="9"/>
            <val e="WinPos.right" v="3825"/>
            <val e="WinPos.bottom" v="876"/>
            <val e="ScaleType" v="2"/>
            <val e="FuncType" v="1"/>
        </Window>

What are your values in there? And what is the screen resolution of your three monitors? Are these configured as extended desktop?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Btw I can recommend "SheepDog". A little free software for repositioning windows that were on second monitors which aren't in action anymore.

18 (edited by ZenMusic 2014-03-02 00:59:09)

Windows 7 64 Bit and using Fireface UFX
TotalMix .996

<Frame0>
        <Window>
            <val e="WinPos.left" v="395"/>
            <val e="WinPos.top" v="233"/>
            <val e="WinPos.right" v="1595"/>
            <val e="WinPos.bottom" v="1110"/>
            <val e="FuncType" v="1"/>
        </Window>

3 monitors , extended desktop   5040x1920

1920x1200   (x position 0)
1200x1920  (x position -1200)
1920x1080  (x position 1920)

the above coordinates would place it on the main screen

I click the icon on the taskbar (restore .... all TotalMix Windows)
nothing happens

Windows 7 Ultimate
Task Manager shows Process
TotalMixFX.exe *32  3,928K

I right-click and click  "New TotalMix FX"
nothing happens

I right-click and choose Exit TotalMix FX and the icon is removed from the task bar
I launch TotalMixFX and nothing happens

I kill the process
launch TotalMixFx ..I do get the Function selection popup ...
then nothing visible
but the process is running

I reboot .. it works .. now what?

We tried to reproduce with a three monitor setup but did not see any problem. So we need more details:

- you never mentioned what makes TotalMix FX fail. You only said it will work again after a reboot. So after the reboot what needs to be done to make it fail again?

- what is the exact configuration of your monitors? Which one is main, which one the portrait one?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

20 (edited by winzer 2014-03-07 09:49:23)

i "solved" the problem with my dualsrceen setup as i said before this way:
deactivating 2nd sreen and then reactivating again.

trying to help a friend of mine (also dualscreen) the same way, but it didn´t work

its really strange:
booting PC - TM opens with a click on the taskbarsymbol. then you only have to close the TM window with the cross in the top right corner and it won´t open again until a reboot. :-(

next week i check the position-infos in Users\Username\AppData\Local\TotalMixFX and some hardware-details...

maybe this problem is related to the monitor .inf ? just an idea, if you have the exact brand monitors listed in system properties, i would try and change to generic ones that supports the same resolution and see if the problem still happens..  may not work but easy to try..

22 (edited by ZenMusic 2014-03-12 04:29:02)

Now it's working. After 6 weeks of not being visible on original bootup

>>I moved the Totalmix FX to the 2nd (left Portrait) window  and now it shows up on startup.<<

Center window (1) is Dell 30"  Ultra Landscape
Left window (2) is 27" Dell Portrait mode
Right window (3) is 27" Dell Landscape

But I have a new problem....

my setup
4 speakers - in a quadraphonic setup
2 speakers - stereo for the PC (windows 7 ultimate) sound

Now when I startup ... the PC speakers don't play when I select Shapshot 8 (the PC stereo) in my Main Workspace....
all other snapshots work (mostly variations of the 4 speaker studio speakers)

I check the Windows Control Panel .. and it shows RME FireFace UFX Analog (7+8) as the default device playback speakers
but no sound (no level visible in the Software Playback AN 7/8) (not muted)..

TotalMix it shows  enabled , but no signal level .. Windows "test tone" makes no sound and no signal level in AN 7/8

REBOOT
and it works (windows audio shows in the Software Playback AN 7/8)

Question: When I shutdown Windows (PC) ....I usually leave the FireFace UFX on ..... then restart the computer with it still on. Is that okay? (latest TotalMix & firewire)

> - you never mentioned what makes TotalMix FX fail. You only said it will work again after a reboot. So after the reboot what needs to be done to make it fail again?

Still waiting for an explanation...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

24 (edited by ZenMusic 2014-03-20 03:42:03)

when I had the problem .. TotalMix never failed to operate as expected after a warm reboot (restart) .... as long as the PC is on... I've done nothing different on the reboot than I did on the original boot.... but I think I notice that the "primary" window (showing the windows startup details before it reaches Windows) .. varies from the 2nd screen (left portrait) to the 1st screen (main landscape) on the reboot ..

Do you mean you simply switch off your Pc (complete shutdown, no sleep or standby mode used), then later switch it on again? And when it fails you do a normal warm boot, means simply restart from the Windows menu without completely switching off the computer?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

26 (edited by ZenMusic 2014-03-25 03:38:40)

restart (warm reboot)

Agghh.. Now I've noticed that when I reboot I get a blue screen just before the actual restart begins.. so I hadn't noticed it , but I did get system messages on reboot... but the TotalMix FX works after that.

And I've discovered (and reproduced) .. if I go into W7 Control Panel and disable the main (default) .. it causes a blue screen when totalmix is running.

Hi,
I have exactly the same problem.
RME UC

WIN 7 64 BITS
I 7 4770 3.4 ghz
16 giga ram

only 1 monitor, when I reboot, the TM work and visible, I close TM and after I can't open it, even with the icon in "sytem 32", nothing appears !?? I must reboot the pc !?

Please can you help me ?

I installed the last driver (1.0.48.0), the last firmware (119)...

I've had the same problem .. I think it will never be fixed since they can't reproduce it there..

I always have to reboot to get TotalMixFx to work .. never works on a cold startup

Hi, all is ok now...but I don't know why !! ??

I have the same exact problem. When I reboot, Total Mix opens. If I close it, I cannot open it again until I reboot.

What is the problem?

Win 10, latest drivers.

Any update here? Seems many have the same problem and I can not see any solution provided yet...

Seems no one has the same problem (did you notice the dates of the above posts?). And as long as we can not reproduce it there is no way to find out what causes this on your system. You might make your computer naked by unplugging anything not needed (MIDI devices, Dongles etc) and try again. Maybe this way you can nail down the culprit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Seems no one has the same probem (did you notice the dates of the above posts?). And as long as we can not reproduce it there is no way to find out what causes this on your system. You might make your computer naked by unplugging anything not needed (MIDI devices, Dongles etc) and try again. Maybe this way you can nail down the culprit.

So where is the solution? I did not see anywhere here on the forum or other pages that RME has actually provided a solution to this. I have already tried countless of various options.

As I said we can not provide a solution to a problem that seems extremely rare and can not be reproduced by us. Sometimes it helps to use a special Debug version of TM FX, capture the Debug output and send it to us. But this process needs some skills on your side and might be time consuming by setting it up  and needing several versions to finally find the reason.

There should be two simple workarounds:

- do not close the TotalMix Window, but minimize it into the Taskbar

- right click on the systray icon to exit TM FX. If that doesn't work Ctrl-Shift-ESC and kill it from the Task Manager. Then restart it by a double click on Totalmixfx.exe in Windows\System32. No need to reboot. If you do this more often you could add a link to your desktop to this file to simplify the process.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I killed the Totalmix by just ending the process tree. How do I find it again? I cannot locate where it is installed. I tried to search for it also. I cannot find it in the lower right corner anymore.

The path is in my post.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

37 (edited by StormOfWords 2017-12-13 03:17:28)

First of all, kudos for responding to this thread even though it was started a few years ago.

I've had this problem on and off for years... not being able to open a TotalMix window even though the icon is shown in the system tray and the TotalMix process is running.   I'm using:
-- Windows 7
-- TotalMix FX 1.43
-- Fireface 400 I purchased new around 2007
-- Cubase 9.0
-- Latest Norton anti-virus/firewall software

My PC has an AMD Phenom II processor, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 Graphics card and a single Samsung 27" monitor. 

One reason you might not get many complaints is that the problem is intermittent and you can usually reboot to resolve it.  It's mostly a nuisance.  I was prompted to post something here today because it took longer than usual for me to fix this week. 

But maybe this will help you and Charles820...

The problem is usually that the two icons in the system tray for TotalMix FX and Fireface Settings, respectively, are visible but I can't make the TotalMix window or Fireface settings window appear no matter what I do (short of rebooting).  Left-clicking on the icons does nothing I can see.   If I right-click on the TotalMix FX icon in the tray, the usual context menu comes up with three options: Workspace Quick Select, New TotalMix Window, and Exit TotalMix FX.  Clicking the 2nd option even brings up the dialog to specify the desired view (matrix or mixer) but when you click OK on that dialog, nothing happens (except I think it closes the dialog).   It's as if TotalMix FX thinks it's opening and closing windows but it really isn't.  I checked the last.Fireface4001.xml file at the window position values and they all seemed within the visible range.  Using Alt-tab to cycle through open windows doesn't cycle through any TotalMix window.  If I look at running processes in Windows, the TotalMix process IS running.  Sometimes in this state TotalMix still handles audio correctly.  But sometimes (like this week) it doesn't handle audio, as if it weren't running at all.  I can end the TotalMix process by right-clicking the TotalMix system tray icon and clicking Exit TotalMix FX.  This also makes the icon disappear.

After exiting TotalMix FX, I can restart it by running the TotalMixFX.exe in the System32 directory.  The TotalMix FX icon then reappears in the system tray, but this still doesn't fix the problem.  This also does not create the Fireface settings icon.  I'm not sure how to do that.

Usually a reboot fixes the problem.  But this week that didn't help.  The first thing I tried was installing the latest version of TotalMix FX (I was maybe a year behind).  I tried unplugging the Fireface 400, turning it off and back on, rebooting the PC with the FF400 off, etc.  I didn't try a different monitor but I was getting around to it.

But as a former computer programmer, I still knew of one advanced trouble-shooting technique which sometimes fixes the most intractable problems:  I jiggled the firewire cable in the back of the PC.   To my surprise, Windows said "found new hardware" or something similar, then it tried to install new Fireface drivers (I told it to stop, since I was already using the latest drivers) and then it asked me to reboot.  After the reboot the TotalMix FX icon worked properly, opening the TotalMix window as it should.  The Fireface settings icon worked as well.  I did have to instruct Cubase to use the Fireface ASIO drivers again, since Cubase had defaulted back the Windows generic ASIO drivers. 

I'm pretty sure a loose cable was NOT the cause of this problem over the years.  Since the cable provides the power to my Fireface, I know it wasn't completely unplugged when I jiggled it (since the unit was visibly powered on).  But it's certainly the first thing I will check from now on!

I can't recall any particular action that would make the problem happen.  I'd be working in Cubase or MS Word or whatever without any problems, but then I'd go to open the TotalMix window and it wouldn't open.  For awhile it seemed to happen almost every week, but usually it's less often. 

I realize it's difficult for you to debug an intermittent problem.  But if it happens again I will post more information.  Thanks!

MC wrote:

As I said we can not provide a solution to a problem that seems extremely rare and can not be reproduced by us. Sometimes it helps to use a special Debug version of TM FX, capture the Debug output and send it to us. But this process needs some skills on your side and might be time consuming by setting it up  and needing several versions to finally find the reason.

There should be two simple workarounds:

- do not close the TotalMix Window, but minimize it into the Taskbar

- right click on the systray icon to exit TM FX. If that doesn't work Ctrl-Shift-ESC and kill it from the Task Manager. Then restart it by a double click on Totalmixfx.exe in Windows\System32. No need to reboot. If you do this more often you could add a link to your desktop to this file to simplify the process.

StormOfWords wrote:

After exiting TotalMix FX, I can restart it by running the TotalMixFX.exe in the System32 directory.  The TotalMix FX icon then reappears in the system tray, but this still doesn't fix the problem.  This also does not create the Fireface settings icon.  I'm not sure how to do that.

C:\Windows\System32\fireface.exe

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I have the same problem in 2020.

Brand new Fireface UC, Windows 7 PRO SP1, HP Elitebook Intel CORE DUO 2.8GHz, ATI Radeon, Dual monitor, Docking station, 8GB RAM, SSD, Aero theme.

• I have plugged in the RME into the USB at the rear of the docking station (I think there might be USB HUB in the dock) and windows found no drivers (as expected)

• I have installed driver_usb_win_1168 (rmeinstaller.exe), then I performed reboot.

• After boot up two new icons appeared at right corner. Nothing happened after left click on both icons, only context menu on right click was working

• No change after reboot

• I tried to unplug the USB cable from the dock and I used shorter cable straight to the laptop. Suddenly, the Total mix window appeared. I tried to plug back the long (5m) USB through the dock, but now it is still working.

• I tried restart, it is still working. I closed the window by (X) close, then I click on icon at the task bar, everything is working.

It seems the problem is that for some reason totalmix or the system does not see the hardware. Don't ask me why.

I don't need help, I'm trying to give a clue to the others.

40 (edited by ramses 2020-02-09 13:24:27)

Core 2 Duo .. 11 year old device / docking station ?

There seems to be something wrong with the USB connection or chipset of your docking station,
as with a direct connection of the UC to the Laptop it works.

Can't you keep it connected to the USB port of the Laptop while the Laptop is docked ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Yes, 11 years old laptop. Very reliable. I work as a repair technician in a major internet shop and I test various gear every day on it (Novation, Steinberg, Yamaha, midi keyboards, Line6, etc.). I have never had a problem with it, this was the first issue since 2011.

The total mix issue might be related to the USB HUB or chipset, that sounds about right to me. But strange thing is that after reconnecting directly to the laptop, then it works anywhere, even with the same port and long cable as originally.

Anyway, I was testing Kemper amp with SPDIF. The whole purpose of RME was only to get SPDIF to the PC and back... and to test the sync.

As I said, I don't need help smile

42 (edited by ramses 2020-02-10 09:05:20)

> But strange thing is that after reconnecting directly to the laptop, then it works anywhere,
> even with the same port and long cable as originally.

Its not a strange thing.

The USB ports directly on your laptop are connected to another USB chip, most likely the Chipset of the Laptop.

Depending on what type of docking station you use, one which connects directly to the Laptop on the bottom or via USB (I think at that time USB based workstations might not have been available yet), different things can happen.

a) contact problem
b) different chip in use

The docking station might have a different  USB communication chip built-in.

And btw TM FX only starts up if the RME ASIO driver detects a recording interface otherwise it doesn't start "by design"
and you get TM FX only if you installed a RME ASIO driver on Windows. Which is the case for you as the RME UC
does not support CC (Class Compliant) mode. So you need the RME ASIO driver and then, if the device is being connected, you can use TM FX or create WDM devices in driver settings dialog to provide i/o ports for Windows and Windows applications that are not ASIO aware.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13