1 (edited by Michael A 2012-04-14 02:07:28)

Topic: TotalMixFX Feature Request - Talkback Assignable Outputs

Hi. thank you for continuesly upgrading such an already great product. There are some fixes i suggest for the talkback section of the Totalmix FX. The talkback function only works for the control room outputs (including the assigned headphone outs). The nature of talkback, is to be able to communicate with performers in the studio or on location. and since the RME devices has many analoge and digital outputs, i'm currently utilising all analoge and digital outs to headphone distripution systems. Sometimes i would like to talkback to an ADAT pair of outputs or to the AES pair. I think that only being able to communicate with the control room section outputs makes no sense as (i wont talk back to my self if i'm in the control room). Long story short, just as you did before when the CUE button only routed the signal to the main outs and then you added the ability to choose the CUE TO destination, -and that was a great step up in totalmix FX-, i hope you add some sort of (TALK TO) to choose which outputs to route the talkback mic to. Some suggestions include:

1- After Choosing a talkback mic, a new Toggle button on the outputs that is labeled (Talk) is available, and when talkback is toggeled through the Remote or through the Totalmix control room section, the talkback mic signal is routed only to the outputs with the toggle switch (Talk) activated.

2- in the ASSIGN dropdown (or in the Prefrences tab) you can configure which outputs to recieve the talkback signal. (but i prefere the first suggestion, its quicker to assign the output destination on the channel than going through the preference menu).

I'm getting the ARC soon and i am looking forward to use the talkback feature more and more.

Thank you,

Michael.

FF UFX - ARC - U87Ai - 828Mk3 Hybrid - Digimax FS - Tascam MH8 - MIDI Express 128, 24GB RAM, i7-3630

Re: TotalMixFX Feature Request - Talkback Assignable Outputs

Bump

FF UFX - ARC - U87Ai - 828Mk3 Hybrid - Digimax FS - Tascam MH8 - MIDI Express 128, 24GB RAM, i7-3630

No need to bump, we are still looking into this (if it is possible to do it or not).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks and i hope it is possible, because that would make the ARC a lifesaver!

5 (edited by morepianomusic 2012-06-10 16:12:09)

completely with you on that one michael.
i also see the control room section as being just for the producer's side.
the talkback should definitely be assignable to the other outputs.

i have four headphone amps throughout my recording room, so everyone gets his own mix.
and now, despite the great arc remote i am still forced to speak to everyone through a mic with a switch which i hold in my hand.

another problem is that even if i wanted to place those 4 output pairs in the control room section, i couldn't.
i have my outputs to the 4 headphone amps going out of an 8 channel ADAT device.
unfortunately i can only assign up to ADAT 3-4 in the control section.

so if rme could either let us assign all ADAT outputs in control room or, even better, let us assign which outputs other than those of the control room receive talkback.

thanx a lot for making my ufx better and better, great service!
oliver

Any updates in this RME People?

morepianomusic wrote:

completely with you on that one michael.
i also see the control room section as being just for the producer's side.
the talkback should definitely be assignable to the other outputs.

i have four headphone amps throughout my recording room, so everyone gets his own mix.
and now, despite the great arc remote i am still forced to speak to everyone through a mic with a switch which i hold in my hand.

another problem is that even if i wanted to place those 4 output pairs in the control room section, i couldn't.
i have my outputs to the 4 headphone amps going out of an 8 channel ADAT device.
unfortunately i can only assign up to ADAT 3-4 in the control section.

so if rme could either let us assign all ADAT outputs in control room or, even better, let us assign which outputs other than those of the control room receive talkback.

thanx a lot for making my ufx better and better, great service!
oliver

Good to hear that someone else thinks the same

Hi guys
i'm also with you in that: You should have the possibillity to decide which output(s) has the TB signal.
In the Headphone busses you have it. But sometimes 4 pieces of that are not enough.

But another question on that: why does the dim function dim the headphones. Never heard of such a behaviour. In stead of that the Main (Control Room) should have the DIM. And it has not. So this bus is useless for me.

Don't know what you expect. For my main application  (classical recording)  I have to DIM the Control Room speaker to avoid feedback every time I press the talkback button. 
So as a workaround I take one of the headphone busses for the control room. But then I hear my own talkback in the speakers. What for?

Opinions?

I think the current Totalmix Fx version is perfect in every aspect except the control room section.

> why does the dim function dim the headphones.

When I want to talk to the musicians that have headphones on, then it is most logical as well as useful to dim the current signal that they get on their cans except for the talkback signal, so they have no problem to understand me.

> I have to DIM the Control Room speaker to avoid feedback every time I press the talkback button.

I have no clue why there should be feedback, as talkback is not routed to the main speakers. But if you want to lower the main signal as well all you have to do is to assign a listenback channel, even if you don't use it. That simple.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

No need to bump, we are still looking into this (if it is possible to do it or not).

Well since it has been almost 5 months, Does this mean that it is not possible to do? or are you still looking into it?

MC wrote:

> When I want to talk to the musicians that have headphones on, then it is most logic

al as well as useful to dim the current signal that they get on their cans except for the talkback signal, so they have no problem to understand me.

OK I can see that. Maybe it is of some use. But in the moment I talk to the talent, there is no playback except the input signal from the musician playing or fiddeling around. So taht was never a problem to me.

> I have to DIM the Control Room speaker to avoid feedback every time I press the talkback button.

MC wrote:

>I have no clue why there should be feedback, as talkback is not routed to the main speakers. But if you want to lower the main signal as well all you have to do is to assign a listenback channel, even if you don't use it. That simple.

That is a bit more complex. In classical recording they dont use headphones but there is always a speaker only for talkback and maybe occasionally playing back previously recorded takes. When I talk to them signal goes to the talkback speaker, to the open microphones, to the control room monitors and back in the talk back mic. A perfect feedback chain unless you dim the control room speakers during tankback. Like most old desks do.

So I only ask for having the choice what busses are dimmed. The entire funktion of DIM is OK but I would like to have it also for the main bus which I cannot use in the moment. Sorry.

BTW often pro gear is more or less aimed at the jazzrockpop recording market. Sometimes there is need for special features used in classic recording environments. Please be open to that. We will be very greatful to that.

Will try the listenback routing. You say that talkback will switch dim to the main path when listenback is configured? OK. Good to hear. Didn't find that detail in the manual.

All the best
Thomas

Hi
just returning from a "classical style" recording session. I configured a listenback channel to the main bus as you said, MC. Although this time there was no signal at this bus.
Yes it realy worked for this session. The Dim was OK, and also talkback. Fine, thank you for the tip.
That was not stated in the manual, which I find at all kind of too econimical.
And also worked the main Volume and Monitor DIM and Mono and Mute via the ARC. Also very fine.

Its a good piece of Gear, this UFX with the ARC.
Thomas

Manual chapter 27.8.1 page 71:

Listenback
Input. Selects the input channel of the Listenback signal (microphone in recording room). Default: None.
Dim. Amount of attenuation of the signals routed to the Main Out in dB.

Please don't tell me that I have to blow up the manual by describing a function in detail with a daily usage example that before you 50,000 costumers never asked for. For specific questions like this we have this forum (and it works...).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Michael A wrote:
MC wrote:

Well since it has been almost 5 months, Does this mean that it is not possible to do? or are you still looking into it?

MC, Can I please get an answer on this? thank you.

You got that answer earlier already - it is planned in version 0.99.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

That's true, but I also got that this V0.99 would come around June, that's why I was wondering if you gave up the idea or is it still on the list. Thank you for clarifying.

June - really? Ok, then our time table got screwed up heavily, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Michael A wrote:
MC wrote:

That's true, but I also got that this V0.99 would come around June, that's why I was wondering if you gave up the idea or is it still on the list. Thank you for clarifying.

Also looking foreward to be able to Talkback to all Outputs, not only the 4 Phones. Planing to use a Personal Headphone System similar to Aviom (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/P16M/ ) sending Instrument Groups (Voc 1, Voc 2, Voc 3, Drums, Bass, Guitar, Piano etc.) to each Musician via ADAT, who will create their Headphone-Mix themselves. When Talking, Outputs (In my Case Instrument Groups) should be dimmed. True, that also this function will come in v0.99 of Total-Mix for the UFX? When will this come? Great!

Soon. Sorry for the delay, but it is still on our list.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I too am looking forward to this feature update! 

Thanks

Exibit A for RME beeing a sustainable company. MC - you where not lieing! Found the Talkback-Feature in all outpupts with the new Total Mix Version. Great guys!

chole wrote:
Michael A wrote:
MC wrote:

Also looking foreward to be able to Talkback to all Outputs, not only the 4 Phones. Planing to use a Personal Headphone System similar to Aviom (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/P16M/ ) sending Instrument Groups (Voc 1, Voc 2, Voc 3, Drums, Bass, Guitar, Piano etc.) to each Musician via ADAT, who will create their Headphone-Mix themselves. When Talking, Outputs (In my Case Instrument Groups) should be dimmed. True, that also this function will come in v0.99 of Total-Mix for the UFX? When will this come? Great!

Ok, first Session done with Behringer Headamp-Systen (fed by 16 Channels ADAT from Fireface). Problem: if i asign Talkback to just one Stereo ADAT Send, the other Channels are not dimmend wenn talking. When assigning all ADAT channels for Talkback, there are feedback problems. A option which outs shall be dimmed wenn talking would be great as well...

TM FX would sink into a completely unusable and confusing settings mania state if we add specialized requests like this (and many others). Please look for a workaround like mute groups or similar if you must dim channels that are not talked to.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

understand. maybe just dim all Outputs when talking would be enough - can not emagine a Situation whare Outputs still have to be sent fully when talking - noone talks in the middle of recording. but i also understand that you want to Keep the unit simple and usable, and that there are enough users out there who have the 'great new Feature request' just becouse they have a unsolved Problem ;-). best regards, daniel

There are countless reasons not to DIM while talking (one alone would be not to disturb parallel recordings/backups), and I also see no reason why you shouldn't talk to one of the musicians or your technicicans on the stage/in the recording room during the performance. TM FX flexible setup allows exactly that - use TB to just talk to any ONE output, even without muting the mains out (set Listenback Dim to 0 dB).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME