51 (edited by martinhr 2013-02-28 09:15:44)

Re: Fireface UFX goes Class Compliant!

did anyone had sucesss with the ucx and a nexus 7 yet (is known as working) and usbaudiorecorderpro (cyanogenmod, 4.2.2). it's not recognized here (of course booted in cc-mode, even tried two otg-adapters). i thought there were chances as the babyface seems to work.

PS error-message: cant start recording", i mailed the log to the very helpful dev already

MC wrote:

This thread is about the UFX. You can control everything directly at the display of the unit (or via the Advanced Remote Control). The mixer is in hardware so doesn't need to be supported, and direct monitoring of course does work.

In case you meant 'there is no easy control of the currently active direct monitoring with Babyface/UCX' - yes. With UFX (this thread) there is.

Yes, you are right! I meant "no easy control ..." especially for Babyface/UCX.
And yes, I know that the mixer is in hardware.
However even on the UFX it is no fun to use the mixer only via the build in hardware controls,
even though it's nice to have of course.
The matrix mixer (hardware mixer + software interface for control) is a big selling point for
RME devices. And therefore I hope it will come to CC mode (for any CC capable device) at some point in time.

hello! I would like to start using this great feature. But I have one urgent question, it is possible to use the CC mode with a new iPad mini and the adapter from the lightning port to normal dock pin, and then the CCK kit?
thanks!

can some one please help me with this? is the same to use ipad mini than ipad retina????

copilcos wrote:

hello! I would like to start using this great feature. But I have one urgent question, it is possible to use the CC mode with a new iPad mini and the adapter from the lightning port to normal dock pin, and then the CCK kit?
thanks!

I don't have an iPad mini but isn't this cable a safer option than two adapters?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD821 … r?fnode=3a

RME Fireface UFX
Mac Mini 2.6 GHz 16 GB Ram Areca RAID | MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz 16 GB Ram | OS 10.10.5

Definitely. It is much less clumsy than the old big CCK and partly removes the need for the dock to dock extender (although I still would like to have a Lightning to Lightning extender).

The other combination has never been tested by us.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

57 (edited by martinhr 2013-03-04 14:07:26)

martinhr wrote:

did anyone had sucesss with the ucx and a nexus 7 yet (is known as working) and usbaudiorecorderpro (cyanogenmod, 4.2.2). it's not recognized here (of course booted in cc-mode, even tried two otg-adapters). i thought there were chances as the babyface seems to work.

PS error-message: cant start recording", i mailed the log to the very helpful dev already

I had success finally, the problem was my otg-adapter, which doesn't fit very well -had to cut off a bit of the surrounding plastic. It is recognized now and at least input 1/2 is working.

Hello, I tried the Ipad mini with the lighting-usb connector original from apple.
I am using Auria.
At 48kHz I was able to record more than 10 channels with no problem. With 256 samples of latency, no problems. But I can not get it to work with 96kHz, even with two channels its impossible to hear something clear, even with 4096 samples. I can't understand how its possible to record let's say 12 channels at 48kHz and not even 2 on 96kHz

any ideas?

at 48kHz this little thing is amazing!

The only strange thing is that at some point, I had more latency at 4096 samples (aura settings) than at 128, then i re-started the App, and it was fine again...

Unit in clock mode internal? Do not use digital clocking or external AD/DA for such tests until you know what is going on.

We have no Mini to test, but 96 kHz in multichannel mode (even with only 2 channels in Auria the USB bus processes all possible channels) is on the edge with the iPad 2, but no problem with iPad 3 and 4.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

yes, rme screen says clock INT. Today, I turned on the UFX, it was still in CC mode, and the screen showed something wrong, like grey color and lines going from one side to the other...
but now is ok again... hmm

61 (edited by auxi 2013-04-03 19:59:00)

Hello.

i tried to get Mic 1/Line of UFX into iPad JamUp Pro XT (guitar processor with standard L or R or L+R input) but did not succeed.
i just could got it working by using back pane's analog in 1.
CC "on" and routing "phones".
in the CC Mode Manual  there is written (page 5 second paragraph) i could use Mic input.....!!!???

so, basic question is , how to get the mic inputs / instrument inputs working with mono/dual input app other than multi input auria or similar??

auxi

By routing the guitar input (for example 9) to the output 9 (with the display controls of the UFX) and then patching a cable from output 9 to input 1.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ich hatte genau diese Antwort schon befürchtet. (der deutsche Satz spiegelt so ein wenig meine Enttäuschung wider)

I was afraid of this exact answer....

so 2 addtional da / ad changes then

or maybe a digital loop, that kind i was used to with my MOTU 828 , when there was (and still is no ) playback input on the mixer.

a switch in OPTIONS "1-4 input front" / "1-4 input back" would change that , just like the "22ch" or "phones" switch in OPTIONS.

thanks

auxi

Can anyone using Auria share any latency info? I have a retina display iPad, and am interested in running four or five inputs into Auria for FX processing, mixed there and sent to UFX outputs to be mixed with the other live inputs. In short, is latency low enough for Auria to be used as a live FX processor?

hello, when will will the total mix app become available for iPad? I cannot find it in the app store. thank you.

RME Fireface UFX
PreSonus ADL700
(2x) Presonus DigiMax D8
Apogee ONE for iPad

66 (edited by minisamchan 2013-11-18 15:50:22)

studiowhitenoise wrote:

hello, when will will the total mix app become available for iPad? I cannot find it in the app store. thank you.

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic … 50&p=2

You can check this.

It's coming soon!!!

RME Fireface UFX

awesome. thank you!

RME Fireface UFX
PreSonus ADL700
(2x) Presonus DigiMax D8
Apogee ONE for iPad

68 (edited by integra 2013-12-29 08:44:23)

latest IPAD Air and UFX in CC mode.
24x192 resolution question.
2 channel 24x192 software playback or record from two hardware inputs in 24x192 is possible?

The UFX does not offer 192 kHz operation in CC mode, no matter how many channels.

The Babyface can be used to test 192 kHz operation on the iPad, with two modes: 2 channel I/O and 10/12 channel I/O. The result is the same under iPad / iOS 6 and iPad Air / iOS7. 2 channel 192 kHz no problem, 10/12 channels distorted.

This will most probably never change, because 192 kHz is not offically supported on this platform.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm not shure if I'm getting this right. I haven't a UFX right now but I will.
Can I use the iPad to controll Totalmix und use the UFX with my DAW at the same time or isn't this possible?

Thanks.
Matze.

www.docmaklang.de

Possible with TouchOSC and Lemur via OSC, DAW Remote (all apps that emulate a Mackie Control), but not the TM FX iPad app.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you, MC,
can't wait to get rid of my MOTU stuff...

Cheers, Matze!

www.docmaklang.de

I am very happy with the fact that the Fireface UFX supports the class compliant mode, thanks a lot for implementing it! I tested it using Linux and Alsa; it works with the latest version of ALSA. However, the fact that it only supports 22 channels is a restriction (as I am using both ADAT inputs). I can imagine this restriction is caused by bandwidth issues at the higher sampling rates. If this is the reason, I suggest to add a menu item where one can select the number of channels for the class compliant mode. If one selects all of them, then the maximum sampling rate could be restricted to 48kHz. If one selects 22, it would support the full sampling rate. Would such an improvement be possible to be implemented?

Thanks a lot!

It's not impossible, but too complicated in our devices. CC mode is there for the iPad, and it is there where the limit is around 22 channels. CC on a better hardware (including Mac computers) can do a lot more, that is true.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

are there any plans to include an iPhone 5s on the devices to use in Class Compliant mode with a Fireface ?!

it would make up a superbly portable set up, of course the display is rather small, however am sure that it's compactness would make up for that

cheers,

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=19191

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

many thanks for the link - that's brilliant to read !

Hi.

Got two topics:

I just hooked up the UFX to a Linux system.
In Class Compliant mode the UFX doesn't seem to offer 88.2 as samplerate. I just see, or better Alsa just sees  32,44.1,48 and 96 khz as supported samplerates.

Can you confirm that? Why is that?

I'd guess  the same situation applies to all devices/OSes where the UCX gets hooked up in CC mode.

I'd need to resample all 88.2 material to a supported samplerate then. That's not very nice.

Is there any possibility to change this on the firmware side?

Would it be possible to offer 192khz in ClassCompliant mode?  I don't understand the limitation of 96khz in CC mode.

One last  question. What's the internal common processing samplerate of the UCX?

Thx a lot.

I suppose you talk about a UCX and the 'UFX' was a typo.

1. 88.2 was not implemented as our first iOS capable device supported what was available tpypically on that platform. 88.2 was (still is) not. Changes on the firmware to add 88.2 might be possible but even if I could not says when they would be available.

2. Same as 1. While iOS supports 192 kHz most apps do not, and when the UCX got CC mode added iPad/iPhone had performance problems to use 192 kHz via Camera Connection Kit. Furthermore 18 channels at 192 kHz are not possible with iPad/iPhone without changing to a mode with less channels. That's a quite complicated topic, and I am not sure if it is possible under Lunix to change between the different formats that CC can offer (the UCX also has a 2 channel mode for I/O - can you select and use that one?).

3. The UCX always uses the current sample rate for everything.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thx for the quick response and for confirming my subject.

There are certain apps on iOS supporting native rates.
Would be nice if you'd consider a firmware update.
It shouldn't be such a big deal.

I do understand that you won't get all possible channels supported at 192khz. I think it's not needed anyhow.
The CC mode is already kind of stripped down. Just limit the number of channels supporting 192khz.

Thx. Looking forward to the firmware upgrades. wink

The current 2 channel setting would be able to use 192 kHz then. Which brings up the question again - can you even actively select that one?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

82 (edited by soundcheck 2015-10-24 08:55:48)

You offer the HW support.

SW developers will (quickly) follow - if iOS supports/allows it.

People under Linux or Android wouldn't have any issues anyhow.

E.g. On Android, USB Audio Player Pro offers 384kHz and more (DSD) already now. These folks just pass the Android audio stack by.

Thx.

Hello there !
I'm new member to this forum.
I downloaded the app on my iPad air no problem. I managed to put my UFX in CC mode no problem.
I had a problem with my lightning --> Usb adaptor cable (bought on apple store), I first thought it was due to the lack of power (iPad app showing "fireface UFX connected/disconnected/connected/disconnected etc.) So I just bought a Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter...still the same error happing !!! which makes me mad : those cables are 45€ and it does not work ?

Or is it me doing something wrong ?
Anyone had the same issue ?

thanks !

Please try a different USB cable. Also try to reboot the UFX and make sure FireWire is not connected.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi, i wanna know if it's possible to transfer Mixerpresets from normal state to CC Mode.

No, because CC mode does have a different number of channels.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Oh, thx for quick reply!
And channelpresets?

Hi

I have seen that there are twonew UFX versions, UFX+ and UFX II.
Would be nice to have a comparison of the UFX products for example in a matrix table.
What is difference from UFX to UFX II?
UFX to UFX+ (okay MADI ans some better technical data)

Peter

89 (edited by ramses 2017-01-29 11:51:00)

You can get this information i.e. from a comparison sheet that I made in this blog article:
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … B-MADIfac/

Here the PDF: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/961 … 017-01.pdf

Here the differences between UFX and UFX+:
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … 8-RME-UFX/

The UFX II is the UFX+ without MADI, USB3, Thunderbolt. It has USB2 but no firewire.

BTW .. this thread is about class compliant mode .. would be nice to stick to the topic.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

90 (edited by diqidoq 2017-04-05 16:12:07)

CC mode is a very important support feature to run UFX without RME OS drivers, like if required to run UFX on a Linux machine or any USB capable system supporting usb CC mode devices. In this audio interface price range this should be a default option IMHO. Great to see UFX supports that since 2013. But this raises some other important questions like some possible limitations regarding "on device hardware setup".

Since CC mode wasn't with UFX from the beginning maybe some important settings are not available. For example: how to change main out routing settings now for monitoring? Let's say the monitoring main out volume knob is setup for analog outs 3/4  but we need to change it to change volume on outs 1/2? Or how do we synchronize samplerate between UFX and machine to prevent resampling?

Quote from the manual:

"The four keys, the two encoders 1 and 2,  the  high-resolution and clear colour display, and a well thought-out  menu structure enable the user to quickly change and configure the device’s settings completely without a computer.  Help notes and clear markers in the display guide the user through all functions."

While outs 1/2 are XLR and outs 3/4 are not, it can become existential to change main out volume knob setting. At first look this seems not to be available on device setup knobs or is not documented in the manual. Do I miss sth?

91 (edited by diqidoq 2017-04-05 16:22:29)

For whom it may concern: To answer my own question, you need to switch back from CC mode to normal mode and then you can change "Control room options" under SETUP/REV and change Main out volume from/to AN 1/2 for example. So the first of my questions is answered but I think it needs an update of the manual? ;-).

Greetings from Berlin.

Hello, I've been asked to do a live stream with an iPad and the UFX. (Live streaming concert)

I read the CC mode manual in this thread but didn't get this:
how i route eg. Channels ADAT 1-2 through an iPad? Or Channels 9-10 (mic preamps) The pdf if I'm correct says the iPad will read only channels 1 and 2 (analog inputs). I do need only 2 channels of audio.

Unfortunately I do not have an iPad to test this now... will do in a couple of weeks. Sorry so I have to ask to you.

Thanks!