Topic: TotalMix FX and Mac Book Pro Retina 13" screen

Hello,

screen : Mac Book Pro Retina 13" (Mac OS X Mavericks)

I installed the last TotalMix Fx driver for Mac OS (RME UCX).

The size of the TotalMix Fx window(in two rows mode or not) seems to be incompatible with the size of the display.

In two rows mode, the Group Windows is partially hidden.

In "normal" mode, the TotalMix Fx window height exceeds the size of the screen to be seen in totality.

In addition, I can not resize manually the window.

I try to open a new TotalMix Fx but the result is the same.

Many thanks.

RME Babyface pro, Cubase 2 for Ios, RME ADI-2 Dac

Re: TotalMix FX and Mac Book Pro Retina 13" screen

1. Click the arrow besides 'Group'

2. Check the TM FX Zoom settings.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Many thanks. I will try this evening.

Sorry, but I am not sure to understand what I have to do.

The right bottom corner could be used to resize the width (not the height) of the TM FX window.

The arrow besides Group has no action on the size of the windows and I don't find any TM FX Zoom settings.

In addition, it seems that there is no full screen mode (which hides the dock and the toolbar at the top of the screen) implemented for the TM FX window.

You can collapse any of the right menus by clicking on their arrow. So if Groups is not fully visible you collapse Snapshots above it.

Zoom is in the Window menu, 3 different ones to choose from (100/135/200%).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Many thanks.

But I don't have any Zoom settings in the RME TotalMix Fx Window menu. Only : 1/ Minimize Window, 2/ Bring All to Front and 3/ the selected item : RME TotalMix Fx: FireFace UCX ...

I may be wrong, but I think TGNV isn't talking about the side drop down menu's.

I feel the same about TMFX on a 13" retina macbook pro.

Two row, at 100% works fine horizontally, but wastes space vertically. Although it would be nice to make better use of the super hi-res screen and fit more horizontally.

Three row, at 100% cuts off the entire bottom half of the playback channels. They are unusable.

Three row, at 70% is again, wasting a LOT of valuable space horizontally that's just sitting there empty.

A quick fix for this, would be a 'custom' retina percentage.  It could be 85%, maybe 88%? Who knows, but as it stands now going from 100% to 70% is just WAY too big of a difference and both have major visual flaws.

I think in the long run, TMFX should be vector based, or something along those lines, so no matter what screen size and DPI, a full screen TMFX will always fill what it's given.

With all due respect, a retina's 2560x1600 resolution should have absolutely NO issue at all displaying a beautiful TMFX page with everything on screen, no scrolling necessary.

Two row, 100%
Everything fits, but it's not very horizontally efficient:
http://s30.postimg.org/toden53gt/Screen_Shot_2014_04_11_at_2_50_36_AM.png

Three row, 100%
The playback channels are chopped off:
http://s30.postimg.org/7dky9fgst/Screen_Shot_2014_04_11_at_2_50_46_AM.png

Three row, 70%
All sections are visible, but there is a lot of wasted space at the bottom of the screen:
http://s30.postimg.org/lewxuzkct/Screen_Shot_2014_04_11_at_2_50_51_AM.png

Two row, 70%
Better view of all horizontal channels, but still wasting space doubling up one row:
http://s30.postimg.org/maotwp4nh/Screen_Shot_2014_04_11_at_2_50_55_AM.png

ianhind wrote:

Two row, 100%

Can you explain that? I really don't get it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
ianhind wrote:

Two row, 100%

Can you explain that? I really don't get it.

How the faders are lined up side by side just isn't very efficient for such a hi-res screen.

On a retina screen, with 100% TMFX setting, I'm getting 18 faders.  That means I'm scrolling left/right to reach many many channels.

Overall, I just feel TMFX is lacking big time in the retina side of things.

On a screen this hi-res, I should be maximizing a full 3 rows, with more than 18 faders going left to right.

The way things are, there is no middle ground.  You're either going half screen and squinting, or you're going full 3 row, and chopping off your playback channels.

TGNV wrote:

But I don't have any Zoom settings in the RME TotalMix Fx Window menu.

TGNV wrote:

QED. Not.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ianhind wrote:

How the faders are lined up side by side just isn't very efficient for such a hi-res screen.
On a retina screen, with 100% TMFX setting, I'm getting 18 faders.  That means I'm scrolling left/right to reach many many channels.

Making the channels more slim will prevent them from being operated properly. Also you might have missed the existing options of collapsing channels to the level meter width, and to completely remove all unused channels via Channel Layout options.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Making the channels more slim will prevent them from being operated properly. Also you might have missed the existing options of collapsing channels to the level meter width, and to completely remove all unused channels via Channel Layout options.

I am aware of collapsing and removing channels, thanks for the tip though.

I understand your point about becoming too slim, but the whole '3 row at 100%' issue with the playback channels getting cut off really should be issued properly.

My TMFX view on a regular MacBook Pro, and a Retina MacBook Pro is exactly the same, yet the Retina has an absurdly larger amount of pixels that aren't being used to their potential.

Please take into consideration a 2560x1600 screen shouldn't have any issues whatsoever to display 3 rows of faders properly.

MC wrote:
TGNV wrote:

But I don't have any Zoom settings in the RME TotalMix Fx Window menu.

TGNV wrote:

QED. Not.

Ok, it is exact. Sorry.

Now, it remains the size of the TotalMix FX window when the window is set in no 2 rows mode.

???

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

So is there a chance we can get something between the 70% and 100%?

70 is wasting space, 100 is too big...  There must be a happy medium for 13" retina users?

MC wrote:

???

It was not the last driver.

But as ianhind said, in three rows mode, the window is to big in 100%.

In a future update we might add free scaling for Mac Retina devices. But right now I think you can work with the existing sizes without problems.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

In a future update we might add free scaling for Mac Retina devices. But right now I think you can work with the existing sizes without problems.

You are right.

Many thanks for your response.

MC wrote:

Agreed, everything works without issue currently, it isn't necessarily a bug or flaw, just an inconvenience.

But this is RME! A company known for taking the extra step for it's users. I think everyone would agree this would be advantageous for all 13" Retina users, and I'm sure that's a pretty large market.

The 70% and 100% are already there, figuring out which % fits the entire screen shouldn't take long to figure out, and would be much easier to program then a full 'free scaling' rewrite.

But then again, I'm not a programmer, so who knows