Topic: No optical output? - Babyface

Please excuse total newbie question.

I have the simplest need:
1.  Babyface connected via USB to my computer to use Sibelius notation program with Sibelius Sounds software generating sounds.
2.  I can hear sound through the headphones when attached to the Babyface
3.  However, there's no signal (light that I can see coming out of the toslink cable attached to the optical output on the rear of the Babyface) and no sound through my digital speakers that accept toslink SPDIF input.

I have the Fireface USB settings with Optical Out SPDIF, Internal clock source.

Questions:
1. Should an optical signal be coming out of the Babyface, no matter what, if I can get a phones signal that's working?
2. If I can't see the light and can't get my speakers to play, assuming the cable is OK, does this mean there's a problem with the Babyface?
3. Or are there some changes I need to make in Totalmix?

Re: No optical output? - Babyface

1. Yes, but without proper routing in TotalMix there might be no audio in it.

2. Yes. The optical output usually shines red, no matter how you setup the unit. Unless you plugged the cable into the optical input...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you very much, Matthias.

You were correct - plugged into the wrong port. Now it works flawlessly.

[At least I know how to switch on the computer..... :-/  ]

John F.

MC wrote:

2. Yes. The optical output usually shines red, no matter how you setup the unit. Unless you plugged the cable into the optical input...

Hi Matthias, One Question:
     - The optical input usually shines red too ?, because in my BabyFace Pro doesn´t shine the optical input.You cannot see the red light at the end of the cable  Only shine the optical output.

Best Regards, Jose

keke wrote:
MC wrote:

Hi Matthias, One Question:
     - The optical input usually shines red too ?, because in my BabyFace Pro doesn´t shine the optical input.You cannot see the red light at the end of the cable  Only shine the optical output.

Best Regards, Jose

Yes input is receiver not transmitter, so no red light...

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632