1 (edited by Media Man 2014-04-16 01:16:41)

Topic: HSDPe Express Card/Digiface not working

After being packed away for several months, I'm trying to connect my RME Digiface/ADI-8/ADA8000 rack to my Lenovo T420 Win 7 laptop via Express Card, and I get nada. It worked fine the last time I used it, so I don't know if settings got changed, or I'm just doing something wrong.

When I connect the Express Card to the Digiface via firewire cable, I get the red light "host error" on the Digiface. When I try to open the DSP settings icon on the taskbar, nothing happens ... the settings window does not open. I have installed the latest drivers, but when I try to update the firmware, nothing seems to happen. When I go into the Nuendo software and try to change the ASIO driver to hdsp, it says "failed"

I'm at a loss here. It worked fine last time I fired it up. Any ideas?

The serial number is not on the list of those that should be returned.

Re: HSDPe Express Card/Digiface not working

Check the Device Manager for the Digiface.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Media Man 2014-04-16 14:26:22)

No Digiface in Device Mangler ... at least not in Sound & Video control section.   Is there anyway to troubleshoot the HDSPe Express Card or the port?  The Express Card port does not show up as a USB port does, but I am told that is normal.
Media Man

When the ExpressCard is not (more) detected all you can do is try a different ExpressCard...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

So what are my options?  I bought this thing a little over a year ago and used it once to put together a 24 channel recording rig that worked great for two days.  Then didn't use it for a while because I was on Pro Tools and digital consoles.  Now it is not working at all.

I paid over $500 for this thing that worked once.  How can I try another card to determine if your card is bad?  Give me something to work with here ... other than "try a new product".

Media Man

Use a different ExpressCard to check if your ExpressCard slot is still working (like network or FW, not expensive). Send in the ExpressCard to your local distributor for check. If the card is only 'a little over one year' old you also might still have warranty on it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by Media Man 2014-04-20 01:34:37)

I'll try to find a card to verify the laptop ExpressCard slot is working.

Should this be as simple as plugging the RME HDSPe Express Card in, and the "Host error" light on the Digiface should immediately turn green?  Is there any "powering on" or boot sequence that matters?

Any known Windows 7 Pro 64 bit or Lenovo BIOS bugs?  As I said, all was fine last time I used it.

I don't understand how an Express Card device could go bad sitting on a shelf.

Media Man

Everything can 'go bad by just sitting on a shelf'. You never had defective things in your life before?

There is no green light to turn on - the red LED will only turn off. And that happens when the drivers are loaded, means on a different system you will have to install those as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by Media Man 2014-04-20 09:14:26)

Well, I need to chase this down and get it working.  Too many dollars investing in the rest of the system relying on the RME HDSPe ExpressCard 34.

You know what I mean by "sitting on a shelf".   Gear usually fails in operation, or during repetitive rebooting.

My bad about the green light.  I thought I remembered that because of the green lights on the ADAT indicators.

Media Man