Topic: can USB recording interupt main data output if it has a problem

Hi...i think i worded that correctly!

I want to try using the USB recording facility on the UFX.  I will be inputting x16 ADAT channels from preamps and maybe also using the x4 mic pre's on the UFX.

I will use the USB record facility as an extra back up (i also send x16 analogue from preamp channels to a fostex recorder and x8 choice channels by ADAT from UFX to a multitrack Yamaha recorder -limited to x8 channels at 24 bit)).

If the USB drive (pen drive or external hard drive) develops a glitch or problem....will the data sent via adat by USB to my computer also be vulnerable?

does that make sense?

cheers

Re: can USB recording interupt main data output if it has a problem

It is independent. You can even unplug the USB drive in the middle of recording, data to the computer is not affected.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

much appreciated  thank you

p.s.

is this a suitable/correct type of product (i'm not asking for a recommendation)

Western digital   'my passport AV-TV'  http://www.wdc.com/en/products/tvstorage/

thanks in advance

Hi...i got this reply from another place.  any thoughts?

I'd stick with normal hard drives myself.

AV drives that are 'optimized for streaming' tend to have less error correction, since the most important factor for video is to avoid jerky playback. They also are designed for quiet operation (also good for audio of course), and reduced power consumption.

Hard disk drives designed for computer applications are optimized for data integrity through enhanced error detection and correction routines. If you want to avoid audio clicks and pops at all costs, choose these.

My two 'pennorth anyway