Topic: Totalmix and Mackie Control

Hi there!
This is my first post and my english is not that good, so please be tolerant with me.

I'm planning to buy a Fireface UFX and have a few questions regarding the use with mackie control.
I haven't one yet, but if it works out it could be a good solution an replace my analog desk.

1. Is it possible to receive the channel names in the mackie control?
2. Is it possible to switch to different cue mixes without my mouse?
3. Is it possible to switch the mackie control to control cubase without hassle?
4. If I am correct there are two versions of mackie control. Does it matter if I have the new or old one for this tasks?

If you have any ideas or experiences please let me know.

Cheers, Matze!

www.docmaklang.de

Re: Totalmix and Mackie Control

Anybody?

www.docmaklang.de

Anybody using UFX with Mackie MCU?

www.docmaklang.de

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. I don't use Cubase but I don't see why it wouldn't.
4. There are at least 3 versions of the Mackie Controller and that's excluding the original Logic Control too.
All 4 should work fine.

RME Fireface UFX
Mac Mini 2.6 GHz 16 GB Ram Areca RAID | MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz 16 GB Ram | OS 10.10.5

Eric Bradley wrote:

3. I don't use Cubase but I don't see why it wouldn't...

I do though:

The MC itself does not support multiple applications simultenously. It works basically as follows:

- The MC sends MIDI to the PC via ONE MIDI input port
- It receives MIDI via ONE MIDI output port

If you configure TotalMix to send/receive MIDI from the MC via these MIDI I/O port AND configure cubase to send/receive MIDI from this SAME MIDI ports, both apps, cubase and totalmix conflict. For example using a fader would control both a cubase fader AND a totalmix fader. Cubase sends channel names to the MC display, as well as does totalmix, etc...

so this does NOT work simulateneously!

On windows, there currently is NO Software which enables you to switch the MC between different applications, for example by using different MIDI ports and holding states sent from different ports, updating the MC surface upon application switch.

On Mac there is a software called LC Xmu which enables you to switch the MC between different applications.

6 (edited by phonofranz 2014-05-15 11:19:42)

UFX owner here.
I'm interested in this scenario too:  Totalmix+DAW control at the same time (Reaper).

I see that MCU-Pro has multiple MIDI ports, besides USB.  USB=port 1 + MIDI port 2,3,4

One could assign USB to DAW control and a MIDI port to Totalmix, using a MIDI i/o on the UFX. Am I wrong?

This leads me to another question: does a simple MIDI connection between MCU-Pro and Totalmix pass names to the display?

EDIT: just read the MCU-Pro manual: USB connection it's a simple 4x ports MIDI interface. So answer to my first question is NO.