1 (edited by ramses 2019-09-02 09:33:52)

Topic: Totalmix FX - When is OVR being triggered (in Main Channel) ?

Hi,

I am using Totalmix FX 5.71 (Recording Interface is RME UFX), OS Windows 7 SP1, x64, i7-860.

I was mixing a song under Cubase 7.5.20 and am wondering why Totalmix FX's Main Channel shows red OVR "Alarms" in the main channels, although the Mix doesn't seem to clip in any way.

I trimmed down everything, that I get red OVRs not so often, see Screenshot (1).

When looking at the levels of some Digicheck meters (Input = Analog 1+2, Source Playback), I also see no reason why the OVR LED is glowing red in the Totalmix Main channel:
(2) 4-Bar Level Meter, measuring RMS
(3) ITU / EBU R128 Meter, measuring K12 and EBU +18 scale
(4) Surround Audio Scope, measuring Digital Level
(5) In Totalyer all looks fine
(6) When I had levels in Cubase little higher (without seeing any clipping in Cubase)
     Totalyser also showed red OVR.

In Cubase I see no clipping and have for protection a brickwall limiter in the Monitor.

Another observation which I made is, that playback of some audio files (lossless ripped from CD) also triggers OVR in the playback channel. I think those CDs are shurely not clipping.

Questions:
1. What does OVR mean and when does it become triggered.
2. Is it configurable that it will be displayed later at 0dB ?
3. Does it make change to change this default behaviour, how would you configure it (assuming its configureable to be less sensitive)

Hope you can enlighten me ;-)

Many thanks for your help upfront !

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96192996/RME-OVR.jpg

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: Totalmix FX - When is OVR being triggered (in Main Channel) ?

Just a guess without scouring your entire post – but any chance you have your Cubase “Control Room” section feeding the same channels as your Cubase Main L/R mix?  This will cause a “double buss” scenario and result in a +6dB level in TM...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Looks your are right ;-) Thanks.

Is it not possible in Cubase to use the main monitor Analog1+2 for the control room ?

This sounds as if I should not make any use of control room in Cubase if I have no real control room, and no separate Monitors there (maybe fed by Analog 3+4).

Hmm I need to check whether I can use my headphones for control room.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by Randyman... 2014-06-12 23:28:03)

Sweet!  This happened to me before smile

You can use any RME Outputs you want for the Cubase Main L/R and for the CR.  It's up to you...

Using headphones for the Control Room would likely make sense in your setup.  Just assign the Cubase CR to an unused pair of outputs, and then use TM to get that software output to the RME Phones hardware out.

The Control Room Outputs seem to be independent of the saved project routing (CR assignment "sticks to" your Cubase Preferences, not to the individual project file routing and I/O).  This is convenient for me since I use different DAW PC's for tracking and for mixing.  On my Mixdown DAW PC with a Multiface, I leave the Cubase Main L/R unassigned and monitor solely via the Control Room.  This allows me to leave the Mix DAW's CR assignments unchanged, and simply ignore all of the Cubase Connection warnings that all of the MF-XT I/O (from the Tracking DAW) is missing from the project when mixing at home.  I can save the project @ home, and re-open at the studio and all of the MF-XT routings remain as they were during tracking.

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

5 (edited by ramses 2019-09-02 09:33:16)

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I am using now Analog 3+4 for the CR and all is fine.

Now the levels in Cubase and Digicheck meters do match, very nice wink

Do you perhaps know how this wrong setup of CR affected the loudness and quality of earlier downmixes ?
It sounds like I doubled the output.
The downmix got the the original monitor signal and on top the output of CR.
Is this all completely "in phase" ?

Without Digicheck I fear I wouldn't have recognized it, thanks RME ;-)

This only affects monitoring - Any mixes you rendered via Cubase should be fine (unless you were adjusting the Cubase "Main Mix" Fader to compensate or were somehow using loopback via TM).

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

No the main mix fader I do not touch. Thanks.