1 (edited by Blindekiner 2014-06-18 16:05:01)

Topic: [Solved] HDSPe Expresscard lags on Linux and Win

Hi,
I have a new laptop, on which I have to use my Multiface I w/ Expresscard HDSPe, which used to work fine on my old, dead laptop, on Linux.
But on this one (Toshiba Tecra A50-A-136), both Win and Linux "lag" when Expresscard is connected, with or without Multiface, connected before, after or during boot. Then:
-card is not recognized by linux (firmware etc. installed...)
-was hard to install driver on Win as it hangs very often, and then card was not recognized (told me after boot he found new sound device but not the drivers, I installed latest one)
-I tried with an Expresscard Firewire adapter, says "ready to use" and no freezes.

I updated some years ago firmware to from 17 to 18 (don't remember how since I hadn't Win on my laptop!), and I noticed there is a 20 version, which seems to have solved a similar issue (system freezes).  Can I install it without problem, even with these lags? Is it possible with wine?

I really need It working, since I bought this (exprensive professional) laptop just for Ecard...
thank you

Re: [Solved] HDSPe Expresscard lags on Linux and Win

The new firmware should solve the problem. Alternatively, check the BIOS for ASPM (PCIe power saving) options and disable it. Also set Windows energy saving settings to full performance.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ok, I tried to run the Flash Tool first without success. Then I disabled ASPM, and I started Win, without lag. I had to reinstall driver and restart, then card initialized and I fashed firmware.

Can I now enable ASPM, or you suggest not to use it? Any other settings to keep good perfs?

Thanks for your quick help!

Updating the firmware will have the same effect as disabling ASPM - the new firmware tells the system not to attempt any PCIe power saving. The ASPM setting is now redundant, but you might as well leave it disabled. More general system tuning advice can be found in the Tips & Tricks section of this forum.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME