1 (edited by Blaze 2014-06-04 23:13:55)

Topic: Total Mix Preset MIDI Control

I was looking for a way to simply change the Reverb & Echo presets on the UFX through MIDI.

I read earlier in a post:

- Reverb and Echo user presets can now be loaded via MIDI CC: B2 0C nn for Reverb preset 1 to 16, B3 0C nn for Echo preset 1 to 16

I'm using an iMac with MOTO Digital Performer, and wanted to integrate the FX changes into some sequences, so as to take advantage of the FX onboard the UFX.

I'm not sure what the above reference to CC ( Control Change ) means. Is this a sysex command, or is there a simpler way to control it via MIDI patch change?   How could I achieve this? Can the IAC bus, or the DP output be used, or is this only via MIDI cable connections?

Thanks,
Doug

Re: Total Mix Preset MIDI Control

B2 is MIDI channel 3 (the manual explains in the MIDI chapter that B0 is channel 1 etc.).

0C means Control Change.

nn is 01 for preset 1....16 for preset 16.

http://www.midi.org/techspecs/midimessages.php

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Blaze 2014-06-05 08:24:31)

Thanks for pointing the way MC..

What I was confused about was the translation of these numbers, and how they would be implemented in my DAW.
0C is the hex value for the standard MIDI controller #12, which is Effect Control 1 ( which Matthias pointed to in the link )

For those of you that are using MOTU Digital Performer you can set DP Output and Input in the Total Mix settings for MIDI , once MIDI Control is enabled in Total Mix. Then set the MIDI output in the DP to track to DP Output-3 (for the reverb preset control) and then add the MIDI controller #12 to the event list and input value of 1 to 16 for preset changes.

Having this ability really does add some tremendous function for live use as well, so thanks for getting this happening in Total Mix..
it just keeps getting better. One last question.. is there a way to bypass the Reverb or Echo using MIDI?

Thanks again,
Doug

Blaze wrote:

For those of you that are using MOTU Digital Performer you can set DP Output and Input in the Total Mix settings for MIDI , once MIDI Control is enabled in Total Mix. Then set the MIDI output in the DP to track to DP Output-3 (for the reverb preset control) and then add the MIDI controller #12 to the event list and input value of 1 to 16 for preset changes.

Hi Doug,

I cannot answer for DP, but it works here with Pro Tools. Creating 2 MIDI tracks (1 for reverb and 1 for Echo), set output (only, not input to prevent from feeback) to an IAC Bus (1st track with CH3 and 2nd with CH4). In Totalmix, I assigned the same IAC bus as MIDI Input port in the MIDI controller options.

Then, I must use MIDI Automation curves to control CC #12 events. It's not ideal because PT only send MIDI during playback (and there is no MIDI plug ins to send "static" MIDI), but I can recall fx presets during a sequence. DP may have more MIDI options and features though.

For live situation, a simple generic MIDI controller can change effect preset using simple knobs (usable if you limit knob's output value from 1 to 16).

Blaze wrote:

so thanks for getting this happening in Total Mix.. it just keeps getting better.

+1000

Jerome

RME UFX - TM FX 1.05 / Drivers USB 2.03 fw 1.58
Mac OSX.8.5 / Pro Tools 10.3.10+11.3.1 / VEP 5.3.1

Thanks for the extra info regarding Pro Tools integration Jerome

The generic MIDI controller is a good option, but I'm simply writing the MIDI data in Digital Performer inside a sequence for simple control of the FX presets, so I can perform live with these sequences. The nice thing is that the reverb and echo are very useable for live use, and of course great for tracking.

Cheers and thanks again,
Doug