Topic: TotalMix FX for iPad - Can the iPad stay charged?

I have a UFX and a 3rd Gen iPad (30-pin dock connector) and was considering getting the new iPad app, but I have a few questions:

Will the iPad be able to stay charged while connected to my UFX and running the TotalMix FX for iPad app? I'm looking for a long-term solution and would rather not have to unplug my iPad from the UFX periodically to charge it, but I don't see any options that suggest that the iPad will stay charged, and this scenario doesn't seem to be addressed anywhere in the documentation.

Can the iPad stay charged or be charged? If not, what does the battery life look like?

Please advise, thanks.

- Ben

Re: TotalMix FX for iPad - Can the iPad stay charged?

No it can't.  This topic has been discussed a few times so if you search you can find more details.

I find battery life fine for a few hours.  You could always try it out and if it does not work return the iPad.  Most places should have at least a 2 week return policy.

My searches garnered no other additional details other than a vague comment like "don't waste your time trying to do this" with no further explanation.

I already own an iPad, but what I don't own is the TotalMix FX for iPad software, which very clearly states that returns will not be issued. I'm hesitant to purchase the software only to find out that the battery life is less than a full day, only to not be able to return it.

TotalMix FX for iPad appears to be a fantastic idea, except that you can unfortunately only use it for a few hours at a time. It might be a good idea for RME to partner with a third-party hardware vendor or build an iPad interface in-house that supports charging.

I mean, Apogee makes an iPad interface that charges the iPad while in use, so clearly someone else thought this feature was reasonable.

Thanks,

- Ben

Well, I seriously doubt that you would have spent the fortune on an UFX if it included MFI...

Your definition of 'whole day' is suspicious. The app is for class compliant mode only, and I fear that you want to use the app as wireless remote, or additional monitor with TM FX running on it beside the computer. That won't work.

The running time depends on how many other apps you use and how bright and how long the screen is on. Since version 1.1 TM FX for iPad does not use any relevant amount of CPU = battery anymore. It could run for 8 hours with no problem if set up correctly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

cowboy wrote:

My searches garnered no other additional details other than a vague comment like "don't waste your time trying to do this" with no further explanation.

Hmm. I know others have asked this. It was/is a common question.  In any event, it has to do with internal architecture of the iPad, not the app itself.  RME has said consistently that this is simply not possible with current iPads.  Not sure how Apogee is doing it. 

cowboy wrote:

I'm hesitant to purchase the software only to find out that the battery life is less than a full day, only to not be able to return it.

You do realize the app is $3.99, right?  Perhaps worth the risk.

MC: While I do record occasionally, 90% of the time I'm just using the UFX as a means of mixing/monitoring a room full of instruments while composing or rehearsing. In this case, I don't have access to my DAW laptop, so I run the UFX standalone. I was hoping the iPad would allow me to make the standalone experience more user friendly.

So without any record going on and just TM FX running in the background the iPad will even be allowed to enter  Lockscreen mode (means display dark) a lot of the time, right? That should allow you to use it for even more than 10 hours then.

I removed your embarrasing remarks about Apogee and RME. There is no secret other than searching this forum and reading websites correctly. Apogee builds MFi certificated and licensed devices that are allowed to charge the iPad. I explained that in a different thread:

----
Now to your question: it is not about an iOS update, it is about the interface inside. We use USB in Class Compliant mode. The USB mode can also be used in a special MFI mode, which then allows for charging the iPad at the same time. The special MFI mode needs a changed hardware design, a signed key from Apple embedded into the hardware to make the iPad (iOS) detect the external unit as valid MFI device, and the need to pay per unit licences to Apple. Which also means that for this added feature a unit will be noticeably more expensive.
-------

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC: Thanks for the highly detailed and informative reply, it was very helpful and enlightening; I now understand why an iPad cannot be charged when connected to an RME device.

However, with regard to your qualification of my previous remark as embarrassing, you couldn't be more incorrect. While my remark indicated that I clearly didn't understand the problem, it also hinted at something you undoubtedly already know: that this specific problem space is sufficiently complex that even intelligent people might not be able to find the exact information they need when searching in a thorough manner.

For example, I knew to use the terms USB, iPad, charge, charging, and I even knew to perform a search into what other iPad-compatible pro audio hardware manufacturers claim to be able to do. But at no point did MFI come up in my search. Even when you mentioned it in a previous post, the term meant nothing to me without context. Even neirbod didn't know that the difference was that Apogee is using MFI in their devices, when trying to help answer my questions.

If this has been asked before, it may be asked again. In that case, perhaps a note on USB charging can make its way into the documentation or a FAQ.

Thanks,

- Ben

It seems Apple has changed the pricing for MFi

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/02/ … cessories-

Originally conceived as "Made for iPod" back in January of 2005, the program initially charged steep fees rumored to have been in the realm of $10 per device, or 10% of the total retail cost of the accessory — whichever was greater.

Over time, Apple reportedly reduced the cost to between 1.5% and 8% of the total retail price of an item before ultimately settling on a flat $4 per connector fee, with a "Pass-through" connector commanding two of those $4 licensing fees.

If true surely this is now a reasonable price, perhaps RME can reevaluate this now ?

I concur that iPad (mine is First generation, I bought it exclusively to control UFX) can easily work for about 7-8hrs on one charge.

I also agree that it would be reasonable to expect UFX to charge iPad while in use. As MC explained, RME decided not to do so for licensing/engineering reasons. Hopefully RME will re-visit this decision in the future.

RAW footage converted to video+audio, fast - for real-time playback and edit
Raw4pro.com