Topic: UFX: powering on location?

UFX does not seem to accept DC power, but only standard AC outlet, correct?

What if I need to use it on location without outlets available. Please recommend mobile power options for UFX.

RAW footage converted to video+audio, fast - for real-time playback and edit
Raw4pro.com

Re: UFX: powering on location?

Any DC to AC converter (like the ones sold for cars, 12V to 110/230V) will do, as the UFX does not draw more than 30 Watts.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, I'm measuring under 20W actually here...

So I DIY'd a solution based on a standard UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply), and installed a digital voltmeter to tell me when the battery is dangerously low.

https://copy.com/9JxuT7Z3Fsws

By simply charging the internal battery, then disconnecting the outlet cord I'm getting a self-contained mobile power solution (battery+inverter).

I am however a bit worried about the quality of the power it outputs to UFX. Of course the switching inverter produces steps, not sinusoidal wave. This may potentially produce both radio interference with XLR cables/UFX ports, and electric noise over the power input itself.

Do you have experience with UFX actually working off of the inverters successfully? What are recommended best practices?

Raw4pro.com

UPS operation usually does not cause audio problems. The UFX internal power supply is a switched one that filters anything.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Latest news on this front: Vagabond Mini by Paul C Buff seems to work perfectly, is compact, affordable, and provides a bit over 5hrs of work time for UFX.

The only issue is VM's loud fan - which however does seem to kick in in case when only one UFX is connected to Vagabond Mini's 120V outlet.

Power time can be extended by connecting more batteries in parallel via Vagabond's Anderson Connector. For example, adding an external V-mount 130Wh battery effectively doubles the power time to about 10 hours.

Happy camper here smile

Raw4pro.com