1 (edited by beeski 2014-07-12 01:50:26)

Topic: certain latencies _sometimes_ not achievable [zero CPU load]

i have noticed this in the past, on a previous [pc] build, and am noticing the same behaviour again with my current setup ( i7 4930k, RME hdsp pci / multiface II, cubase 7.5, win x64).

even with 'zero' CPU load, when for testing purposes a single audio track is added into a daw (cubase), with no insert effects engaged, playing off a SSD drive, the playback completely silences on latencies 128 and 256.

on the settings of 32 and 64, the system plays back an audio stream, but is dropping out insanely.

audio then plays back correctly @ latencies of 512 and higher.

the same behaviour can be observed in, say, sound forge, so it seems to be rme-specific rather than cubase-specific. however, after restarting the computer that has gotten into this kind of state, everything is back to normal, and i can play back audio material with numerous plugins inserted, without drop-outs, at whichever latency, down to 32 samples.

what i have not determined and is most confusing, is how the system (rme card?) gets into the erroneous state, and if it can be prevented or remedied without restarting...

thank you.

rme hdsp [pci] / multiface II / win7 x64 / i7 4930k

Re: certain latencies _sometimes_ not achievable [zero CPU load]

In the past I have seen that too, but quite a while ago. I remember it happened when changing buffer sizes under very heavy load.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

In the past I have seen that too, but quite a while ago. I remember it happened when changing buffer sizes under very heavy load.

good to know i'm not alone. maybe someone from rme has an answer?

same here with Cubase 7.52 and Wavelab 8.51 on 2700K with 32GB DDR2000

can only play 256. 128 will start to jitter and indeed get the card in a state it won't recover from, 64/32 are impossible.

www.analoguemastering.com

Raphie wrote:

same here with Cubase 7.52 and Wavelab 8.51 on 2700K with 32GB DDR2000

can only play 256. 128 will start to jitter and indeed get the card in a state it won't recover from, 64/32 are impossible.

is this your default state though? this only happens to me sometimes (and lasts until a restart), but i cannot figure out what the culprit is.

bump

First thing to do, check DPC Latencies with: http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

What motherboard do you use and what PCIe slots is the card in on that board? What Windows power profile do you use and which CPU C-states are enabled/disabled in BIOS/EFI?

Timur Born wrote:

First thing to do, check DPC Latencies with: http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

What motherboard do you use and what PCIe slots is the card in on that board? What Windows power profile do you use and which CPU C-states are enabled/disabled in BIOS/EFI?

--mobo: asus p9x79
--hdsp not in a pcie slot; it's a pci version, and occupies the sole such port on the mobo
--c-state off
--speedstep off

--power profile: high performance

--latencymon: reporting system is suitable for handling realtime audio

I fear this is a problem of your motherboard having a flaky PCI connector. We see that quite often these days. The manufacturers only add it as last compatibility resort, usually using some PCIe to PCI bridge, with bad results..

BTW, on such a system turning c-state and speedstep off doesn't do anything good. These are tips from 3 processor generations back. It could be that your problems are caused by whatever tuning tips you applied, or because some other software installed causes these problems. You would need to have a clean Windows installation with a reset BIOS, no ASUS tools and only the RME driver added to find out.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

10 (edited by ramses 2014-07-17 08:08:05)

MC wrote:

[...] BTW, on such a system turning c-state and speedstep off doesn't do anything good. These are tips from 3 processor generations back. It could be that your problems are caused by whatever tuning tips you applied, or because some other software installed causes these problems. You would need to have a clean Windows installation with a rest BIOS and only the RME driver added to find out.

Interesting, too bad that I don't have a new system yet, still waiting for the new X99 chipset.
Makes me curious to investigate on this topic.

A few tips from my side, as I had a bad board and needed to measure and fine tune like hell ~2-3y ago.

Things like i.e. changing the clock speed needs time to align on the new cpu frequency, so turning off speedstep and getting a fix CPU frequency was up to now always one of many little things to optimize kernel latency down to 1-2 µs. And I personally assume this is a generic thing that can't be solved so easily.

Especially C-States brought on my BIOS / Board combination (P55 Chipset) + ~60-80 µs more kernel latency on an idle system. So I am curious what will happen on my future system.

Maybe one tip in regards to LatencyMon measuring. It also heavily depends whether you measure with Windows 7 or Windows 8. And also it depends on the HW, whether you measure on a real Desktop PC or on an energy optimized Laptop, there you can expect higher values. The values I mention in this thread are related to Desktop PC (i7 860 with MSI P55 GD65 - evil mainboard - and the better successor P55A GD65).

On windows 7 the accuracy appears to be more fine granular, as you can measure the kernel timer latency in µs. Sane values are on a i7 860 in the range of approx 1-10µs. Most values shall be 2-3 with some spikes at about 12. Of course some more if maybe a job is being started in the background.
The best LatencyMon version appears to me v4.02 as this was the latest which had the focus on Windows 7.

On windows 8 Windows changed something which forced LatencyMon to do a different measuring which appears to me one level higher, maybe on process scheduler level. You recognize it as the values are now in the range of 200µs and the parameters are named differently. I personally like the higher accuracy on Windows 7 more.
And there is another issue. The new version of LatencyMon (I think it was v6.0 when I tested) could be configured, when being used on a Windows 7 system, to do the old measuring of kernel timer latency, BUT THEN you got strange (too high) results.

So IMHO the measuring of system tuning for Audio works best on Windows 7 using LatencyMon v4.02. Then you need to observe on an idle system how low the kernel time can go and in what range the values usually are.

When I had a bad mainboard (P55-GD65) the values were on an untuned system in the range of 200-300µs. With peaks because of spawning system processes and what not .. With decent tuning it went down to 70µs. Especially Cubase (v6 at that time) did a good job, as enabling "mode for optimized audio performance" arranged some things in the power profile, that I reached even 65µs.

Then surprise surprise during vacation on an very old holiday PC with much older AMD CPU I got on this "little system" values like 1-2µs kernel timer latency.

At the end of the day I bought and update of that board with little re-design "P55A GD65" it was called and all my problems went away.

You need to let LatencyMon run for lets say at least 10-30 minutes to see, to get a feeling whether there are some background jobs being started ... There are some jobs which you can disable in Windows Task Scheduler.

Other things to check are i.e. drivers. An oldver version of Logitech setpoint software raised the DPCs .. in other words blocked CPU for too long, things like this you can also observe using LatencyMon. For 2y I used then the standard Microsoft driver which was much better in that regards. Now with the Logitech GD400 and newer drivers this issue didn't pop up again. I mention this only as there can be several reasons that a system is not in ideal shape.

Maybe your measurement is at the edge and with a little system load more you run into problems.

I remember that the 200-300µs kernel latency didn't trigger LatencyMon to yell that the system is not capable of audio streaming. It were some peaks that went over 800µs that happened within 10-30 seconds, when I started my investigations.

So .. if your system is maybe running stable at 200-300µs kernel timer latency and without spikes then you think all is ok, but your system is IMHO still in a state, where I would say, something is still wrong and should be much better, as you have then a factor 200-300x higher latency compared to whats should be possible.

Mainboard + BIOS settings, Windows Drivers and Windows tuning have a very big impact on the results.
But with a bogus board you can tune like hell but you won't reach values down to 1-2µs .. can happen.

All this need time and patience and everything starts on a freshly installed windows where you start to measure the latency after every driver installation and then on a minumum system with only basic drivers installed you 1st look, whats possible by fine tuning the BIOS. If you get good results there, then you continue to install firewall, more software etc but measure after every software installation. And of course you need to test your Audio Card how it reacts .. So you need a player and then also make tests how far the ASIO buffer may go down ... This you need to test also at the beginning when playing with BIOS settings ... Takes much time, but then you really know your system well.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

MC wrote:

I fear this is a problem of your motherboard having a flaky PCI connector. We see that quite often these days. The manufacturers only add it as last compatibility resort, usually using some PCIe to PCI bridge, with bad results..

BTW, on such a system turning c-state and speedstep off doesn't do anything good. These are tips from 3 processor generations back. It could be that your problems are caused by whatever tuning tips you applied, or because some other software installed causes these problems. You would need to have a clean Windows installation with a reset BIOS, no ASUS tools and only the RME driver added to find out.

the interesting thing is, i had noticed this (ie. something 'breaking' in the system/driver and causing some buffer settings to produce no sound) on a previous PC build, which was quite a few years ago, when PCI (not PCIe) was still very commonplace, and an essential feature of every motherboard at the time.