Topic: iOS 7 supports USB Audio and MIDI with iPhone

There are some claims on the internet that the iphone with ios 7 now supports class compliant audio hardware. It would be nice if someone with an ufx or babyface could test this. If so, this is great news!

Here's a link

http://gazwilliams.me/2013/10/05/ios7-a … n-iphones/

Re: iOS 7 supports USB Audio and MIDI with iPhone

Holy Moses - it works! I just connected the Babyface to my iPhone 5s and can playback music! I can use record software to analyze and record audio with the external hardware's quality! MIDI works as well, in and out! Wonderful news!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

After further tests we can confirm what is logical in some way: the iPhone and iPad hardware is similar powerful, so the iPhone operates as expected. In fact the question was already with the iPhone 4s, why Apple stiill limited this functionality to the iPad (the 4s was much more powerful than the  iPad 2, so why did the 2 have USB Audio/MIDI, the 4s not? I did not get an answer, of course...).

So UFX, UCX, Babyface and OctaMic XTC can all be used with the iPhone as they can with the iPad, as long as the iPhone has iOS 7. We just need to find out if this feature is limited to specific models, maybe the older 4 is excluded.

Also the same restrictions apply that I noted in post 69 here. For example the BF offers 192 kHz playback without resampling, as long as the 2 channel mode is active and the app in use supports that. Multichannel record and playback is no problem as I just tested with Multitrack DAW (the problem here is to find a DAW that runs on the iPhone at all - for example Auria and Cubasis do not). But typical DJ apps, like Djay/2 and Traktor can now run on the iPhone and have separated stereo outputs via the connected CC hardware, for mix and monitoring/phones.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by loonypac 2014-04-25 12:36:34)

WOW, iPod Touch 5g 64GB iOS 7.1.1 works excellent with UCX. I use an original Apple Lightning to 30 Pin Adapter (Version with 0,2m cable) with old Camera Connection Kit. Garageband (Midi + Audio) + Multitrack DAW (8 Tracks simultaneous). Dreams come true..

Now there is a Totalmix FX iPhone/iPod Version missing big_smile

This seems cool! However, I can't get it to work. After reading this thread, I went out and bought the CCK to use with my UCX  and iPhone 5. Did you jailbreak the iphone in order to make the CCK work? Or is there anything else I might be doing wrong?

What exactly doesn't work? Is the UCX switched to CC mode? No jailbreak required.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yes, it works completely without Jailbreak! As Daniel Fuchs wrote you only have to reboot UCX in CC mode. I successfully did many field recording jobs with it. E.g. a one day session with separate small lead accumulator. Even much better than old CCK over 30-pin adapter is the newer lightning to usb adapter.
Only power-connection of UCX is a little bit wobbly when using it while moving around with my setup. So you have to secure this connection to avoid power failure.

As I already wrote: Totalmix FX for iPhone would be fantastic!

Yes, the UCX is in CC mode, but nothing happens when I plug the CCK in the iPhone.  The red 'host' led doesn't even turn off.

loonypac wrote:

Even much better than old CCK over 30-pin adapter is the newer lightning to usb adapter.

That's the one I'm using...

10 (edited by loonypac 2014-07-24 14:45:01)

Newest Firmware for UCX?
Newest iOS for iPhone?

Yes on both questions! Just updated them...

RME should update this document -> https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/cc … face_e.pdf to reflect this discovery.

jink wrote:

RME should update this document -> https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/cc … face_e.pdf to reflect this discovery.

I suppose they're not going to do that before they're sure it really works. It's still not working with my UCX and iPhone 5 (and genuine Apple lightning to usb adapter).

I don't think it's not working especially with iPhone 5, while it works on all my iOS devices iPod 5, iPad 2 + 3, iPhone 4 + MC’s iPhone 5s wink

I managed to power up my original Babyface only with a connecting bridging cable with two female ports, for one lightning cable and one USB cable for the Babyface, as well as one male that connects to a power supply. Without the supply it won't power up.

I can't get the Babyface recognized though. No audio out and I see nothing relevant in settings. I was hoping to be able to use my iPhone 5s with iOS 9 as a recorder tonight at a live gig, getting a signal off the desk.

Any advice or pointers?

RME Babyface v226 | 4.07 | MacBook Pro 13" 2020 | 16gb/1tb

Did you set the BF into Class Compliant mode? Are you using the Lightning to USB Camera adapter or just a normal USB to Lightning cable?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

17 (edited by stromkraft 2020-08-05 14:38:09)

Thanks for responding. I use the latter Cable as it fits without any adapter. While I have a camera adapter it's for older iPad with it's wider port to lightning.

I have to look into that class compliant mode. Didn't know I had to. This is in the manual? Searching…

18 (edited by stromkraft 2017-01-07 20:22:16)

stromkraft wrote:

I have to look into that class compliant mode. Didn't know I had too. This is the manual? Searching…

OK, found this Accompanying documentation Babyface and started up in what I believe is compliant mode and connected first power, then to the BF holding Select and Recall and lastly to my iPhone. Sound plays only trough iPhone speaker so it would seem it doesn't detect the new interface.

I got both the Babyface and the iPhone powered so cables work for that. No sound though.

I'm not sure my split cable, that I must use to get power, actually moves signal between cables — it has two running to one connector. Maybe that's the problem.

This is the cable with one standard USB male running to one male/female USB on one cable and to a female USB on the other:https://i.imgur.com/xH8sQan.jpg. This is possibly what came with the Babyface but not 100%.

There is an updated manual on our website to download. Also - quite obvious from the paper that you already downloaded - you need the lightning to USB camera adapter. The normal USB cable won't work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

20 (edited by stromkraft 2017-01-09 06:21:21)

MC wrote:

There is an updated manual on our website to download. Also - quite obvious from the paper that you already downloaded - you need the lightning to USB camera adapter. The normal USB cable won't work.

OK, that's probably obvious when you already know this. When you don't and haven't looked into exactly what the Camera Connection Kit does it really is not.

Thanks anyway. I'll get one for the next occasion.

21 (edited by vincentkenis 2017-02-10 18:41:07)

Hello

I have an iPhone 7. If I connect it to a Babyface with a lightning to USB camera adapter, will the Babyface power the iPhone ? If not, is there another solution to power the iPhone while recording ?

Another question : which DAW on the iPhone would allow me to record in full multitrack using the Babyface ? I read here that Cubase won't work, but what about GarageBand ?

Thank you in advance

1. No.
2. Yes, the newer Lightning to USB 3 adapter includes a power socket.
3. Multitrack DAW.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

23 (edited by esaruoho 2018-08-08 09:00:46)

Query.
What kinds of combinations is iOS 12 & iPhone SE & FireFace UCX capable of while being plugged into Lightning-USB Camera Adapter via USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 cable?

Could I connect the FireFace UCX to my computer via FireWire, and be able to record both inputs and software outputs into a recorder with iPhone? Which recorder app would you recommend for multi channel recording?

I'd love to hear more about your experiences - and which apps you have decided to use. I guess the Lightning-USB Camera Adapter does not also power up the FireFace UCX via USB, so I have to have an external power supply unit plugged in.

RME Fireface UCX (macOS Mojave, Mid-2015 MBP)<-in use
RME Multiface (XP, PCG-GRX690) <-in a closet

MC wrote:

Hi, where might the manual be available from? I have a Lightning <-> USB Camera Adapter, looking forward to seeing what the FireFace UCX is capable of with an iPhone SE, for sure!

RME Fireface UCX (macOS Mojave, Mid-2015 MBP)<-in use
RME Multiface (XP, PCG-GRX690) <-in a closet

esaruoho wrote:
MC wrote:

Hi, where might the manual be available from? I have a Lightning <-> USB Camera Adapter, looking forward to seeing what the FireFace UCX is capable of with an iPhone SE, for sure!

Same thing but with my 6S plus, share the manual please

Manuals are easily found on our website, section Downloads.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

27 (edited by stromkraft 2020-08-05 14:30:16)

I can add now from experience that the software in the iPhone pretty much determines what one can do or not as I believe the hardware will run in class compliant mode, i e with OS drivers rather than RME. A few times I've had to restart everything in order for the software to recognize all channels.

In the case of the original Babyface I've had to exercise some patience getting it to power up into class compliant mode, but it never failed to do that after a number of attempts. Likewise I've had to remember to get it out of class compliant mode when putting it back into computer service.

28 (edited by johnfindlay1234 2020-08-05 03:01:58)

I have CC Mode working with iPad but what I don't get is on the RME Fireface UFX is how to monitor audio thru Mic 11 & 12. Altho it records into Auria Pro fine -I cant figure out how to monitor in Total Mix??

On the Totla Mix software for iPad 11 & 12 appeasr as AES and ADAT1/2.

I read the manual (cc_mode_ufx_e.pdf) but cant make sense?

UPDATE: preferences on Total Mix iPad app: 11/12 not checked off!
I hope it solves it!