Topic: RPM hum and low level

Finally using my RPM for vinyl which has been mostly used as a 1-in (mic and mic-pre) 2-out interface for a video editing system.

I have a Music Hall mmf-2.1 hooked up, with the ground connected, to the RPM 3/4 input which is set to "Phono +6db"

It's all connected to a PCIe card in a Mavericks OS X MacPro tower. The RPM is powered by the RME power supply (complete with the LED on the connector, why doesn't anyone else do that?) and all AC goes through the same UPS either directly or via a power bar to separate battery/surge protection from just surge protection.

Phono signal goes into RPM and line out to a passive attenuator and powered monitors. Ideally I would eventually digitize into the computer to get digital versions of some rare and older vinyl and my old DJ records. But first I have to get this problem sorted out.

The problem I've been having is a very low signal level barely peaking at -6 in the HDSP mixer and compared to signal coming out of the computer as well as a noticeable low-pitch hum. I can hear the hum increase as the tonearm goes from the resting cradle to above the platter so it makes me think there's a ground problem with the turntable.
Before I take the turntable in for service is there anything I am missing? Should a turntable and signal path like that need another phono preamp before powered monitors?
It's been a while since I worked with two 1200 decks/mixer/PA and that was in an all analog environment.
What should the proper set up/signal chain be?

Thanks

Re: RPM hum and low level

-6 dB in TotalMix is not too low level. The hum indeed points to some ground problem. Did you use the screw at the RPM to connect ground/shield of the turntable?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

When I said "peaking at -6db" what I should have said, more accurately, was that it was at best hitting -42db (RMS) as displayed in the "present level" numerical window in TotalMix.

I guess the signal level seems much lower than every other source coming into and out of the RPM. To get a listenable level of the turntable to the passive attenuator I have to have it cranked to 0db attenuation. All other sources, computer out via RPM to passive attenuator (Logic, FCP, AVID etc) are all much hotter and I barely have the PA set beyond -20 attenuation.

All the grounds are connected. Ground from turntable to RPM, and all power supply grounds to UPS and mains AC.

In that case the cartridge might be MC instead of MM. Or the cabling/connection is wrong.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yeah, it's a Goldring Elan which is a MM cartridge but I think you're right about the cabling and/or connection.
There's a place in Toronto that does free turntable diagnostic clinics.
I guess I am that guy now. The one taking his turntable on the subway.

Thanks Matthias.