Topic: DURec media - unit allocation size

I am currently trying a couple of SanDisk Extreme USB3 16GB sticks for UFX record.  I am formatting them before use to get rid of the extra junk included.

Is there a preferred Allocation unit size for these devices?  I am given the option of up to 64Kbytes which would seem to be preferred given that the usual file size is quite large (eg., this is the size that my Nagra V uses).

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Re: DURec media - unit allocation size

Tried on a gig - 10 channels at 96K.  One stick was formatted with unit allocation size 32K, the other 64 K.  (The computer default was 8K).   No noticeable difference in disk overhead, no errors.   And the FAT is thinner with the larger allocation size - a little bit more room for data.

But a comment from the DURec designers might be useful

When I tried these sticks I used Windows default for formatting. That worked perfectly already so no need to invest more time. Before that I tried different sizes with not so fast sticks, but their speed behavior and subsequent errors showing up did not change whatever allocaton size was used.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC.  Obviously not an issue, then.

I must try some of the bigger sticks.  12 tracks at 96K on a 16GB stick is only just enough for Beethoven's Ninth  ...