Topic: HDSPe Multiface 1, Dell XPS 8700, Win 8.1

I'm setting up my Multiface 1 with a new (second hand) HDSPe PCIe card on a new Dell XPS 8700 running Win 8.1 Pro.

After installing the hardware in a x4 slot, I attempted to install the latest 3.x driver... The installer got stuck in the "this may take some time" phase.  After 20mins, I killed the installer and noticed that the hdsp was now correctly named in the Dev. Manager.  I restarted... And the tray icons appear but the hdsp settings won't load and the Host error lamp remains solid. 

I've tried uninstall, reinstall of the drivers a couple of times including 4.x, reseating the card, running the firmware update to no positive effect. The machine also seems to hang on shutdown when the card is installed.

The flash update tool hangs when I try to update.  It reports the current revision as 18.

Could anyone offer any advice or diagnosis?

I haven't adjusted BIOS /UEFI or power management settings at all yet.

Many thanks,
Daniel

Re: HDSPe Multiface 1, Dell XPS 8700, Win 8.1

You definitely should try switching the OS Power Plan (Control Panel / Power) to High Performance.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks Jeff.

I assume that these sort of issues would be more likely caused by lower-level power management features though, or does Win8.1 power plan actually affect ASPM etc? 

What is the current status of ASPM, speedstep, ... features and HDSPe compatibility?  Do I need to disable anything in order to just get the install / flash update to work?  I had expected that those issues might cause intermittent glitches / dropouts but not total failture!

Cheers,
Daniel

You were right, Jeff -- I enabled the "High Performance" Power Settings (after checking the Advanced details and noting that it indeed sets the PCIe Link State Management to "disabled") and everything is working perfectly now -- many thanks!

AFAIK as the BIOS on this machine doesn't seem to have any ASPM controls, so this is definitely the way to do it.

The 4.x drivers with TotalMixFX look great, btw!

Cheers,
Daniel