Topic: RME Multiface II / Totalmix - Record Monitoring problem in Reaper

Greetings. I have a newly acquired RME Multiface II unit and am having a maddening issue.

In the past when I've wanted to use a VST (like a guitar amp sim) on a channel and only wanted to hear the effected output without any dry input I would set things up as follows:

Mute the channel input in the software of whatever interface I was using or pull the send volume all the way down > turn record monitoring on in Reaper (else the FX won't receive any input) > arm track for recording > enable FX in the FX window.

This method has worked for me through four different sound cards and about four years of using Reaper.

My problem now is that Reaper seems to effectively ignore any and all settings on the input channels in Totalmix. I can pull the input faders all the way down and/or mute the channels and they behave exactly as I'd expect without Reaper's record monitoring function in the mix. The moment I turn on record monitoring (so I can send signal to the track FX) I get the dry signal regardless of the settings on the input channel within Totalmix.

Anyone else deal with this issue? I've never had this issue with any other sound card and I believe the issue to be in Reaper rather than Totalmix as it seems to work exactly like it's supposed to without record monitoring enabled.

Re: RME Multiface II / Totalmix - Record Monitoring problem in Reaper

The Totalmix faders do not control the signal going into Reaper in any way. The mixer is bypassed in the recording path, it only controls monitoring.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks so much.  That gives me a direction to go in to try and solve the issue, and it explains perfectly what I was seeing.  I appreciate it.

4 (edited by kuruhyoo 2014-09-03 05:20:40)

Daniel, other RME staffers,

I've done some more troubleshooting tonight and come up with nothing.  I thought I'd ask back if there's any method you knew of by which an input channel could be muted within Totalmix and carry over so that Reaper (or any other DAW/VST application) can make only an effected signal audible when record monitoring?

This is kind of a deal breaker for me.  Not being able to mute the dry input signal (I've verified this in other applications) means that the Multiface II can't be used to accurately track guitar/bass VSTs and can't be used in a live situation with external instruments of any kind running through VSTs.  At this point the only things I can think of are to use another sound interface that can have muted inputs in conjunction with the Multiface II or use an external processor that closely mimics the sounds I'm trying to get through VSTs.

If you were to mute the input before it goes to your software, your VST would no longer receive it, either. You will need to solve this within the software...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I think what's happened is that with other interfaces with which I've used the mute function within their software control applications is that those "mute" functions were actually monitor mute functions rather than true mute functions.  Thus, it wasn't possible to monitor the input but the input would still pass signal along to the VST/DAW.

I agree that actually muting the incoming channel with a true mute would be at cross purposes with recording.  I was just hoping there was some way to mute the monitoring function within Totalmix.  I'll have to come up with another workflow going forward, because I do appreciate the fidelity of recordings made with the Hammerfall equipment.

Thanks for your input, Daniel.

kuruhyoo wrote:

I think what's happened is that with other interfaces with which I've used the mute function within their software control applications is that those "mute" functions were actually monitor mute functions rather than true mute functions.  Thus, it wasn't possible to monitor the input but the input would still pass signal along to the VST/DAW.

That's pretty much what Totalmix will do as well... Muting mutes monitoring... Maybe your configuration issue is within the software.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I'll post over on the Reaper forums and see what comes up.  Thanks so much for your assistance.  I appreciate it, Daniel.

Latest REAPER has "Track input FX" too (FX applied to recorded signal). Rightlick record button ...

Maybe this hepls?