Topic: OSC support of /volume/

I threw together a pd patch to crossfade between a live input and software playback.

As I was preparing to set up fader addresses I pointed Totalmix FX (I'm using a FF UFX) at Osculator in order to see what faders correlated to what addresses.

At this point the only faders that actually seem to ping Osculator are /1/volume1 through /1/volume8.  Software playback faders, and hardware output faders seem to have no addresses.  Is this correct?  Or am I missing something here?

I searched the forums and there's some queries as to when "global OSC" support will get implemented.  Am I to interpret this to mean that I'm SOL at the moment?  Or is there a way to send OSC commands to control software playback or hardware output faders that I'm not currently savvy enough to understand?

Admittedly, I'm a bit new to Totalmix FX.  I've been out of touch with RME for a few years.  Are the faders in question on a different channel?  I'd even settle for control over the AES in fader as I could at least set up a hardware loopback for my software play out, and control it that way.

Would somebody clue me in?  smile  I've got a major music festival coming up in London, and I need to bang away at this, or find another solution. 

Thanks very much

Re: OSC support of /volume/

I don't know Osculator but the link to the description of all the OSC commands is in the OSC thread. Other rows need a different 'page' when adressing them.

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic … 244#p68244

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC,

Thanks very much for the links.  I now see how to address the Playback faders.  It appears to me that the default behavior of Totalmix  is to not broadcast the playback bank fader addresses.  This is why Osculator was not picking them up when I moved a playback bank fader. 

That said, the TouchOSC patch you linked to was very helpful as it revealed to me the "Inputs" - "Playbacks" and "Outputs" buttons.  By pinging Totalmix with a "bus" message like /1/busPlayback (if I touch the Playbacks button in TouchOSC) it causes Totalmix to to redirect /1/volume1 data to the first fader of the Playback bank.  In lieu of any "bus" messages (like /1/busPlayback) the default behavior is to only address the input bank.

If it would somehow be possible have a unique address for each fader like: /1/I_volume1, /1/P_volume1, /1/O_volume1 - or something - I would be eternally grateful.  smile  It just seems a little clunky having to first point a volume message to a given bank.  Maybe this has more to do with TouchOSC and Lemur than RME.  If that's the case then perhaps Totalmix could parse messages in such a way as to accommodate  bus messages as an option rather than a default.  The default being unique addresses for all faders.

Thanks for listening! smile

Okay, so here's the thing:

If I need to cross fade between an input fader and a playback fader, I'm not quite sure how to do this.  Let's say for a moment that I need to crossfade /volume1 on the input bank , and /volume1 on the playback bank?

I'll try to figure this out, but it seems pretty obvious that a /volume1 message is being sent to either / or - not both simultaneously as is required.  Now, I suppose I could alternate the bus message between incremental changes for each fader - but frankly that's like a thousand bus messages  hmm

If anyone has an elegant way of doing this, or if I'm fundamentally misunderstanding how to do this - I'm all ears.

Thanks again

Anybody know if controlling /1/volume1 on both input and playback banks simultaneously is even possible?

If so, I would be grateful for an explanation.

If not, so be it - I can move on.  wink

Thanks!

Anyone?

Someone must know this.  The manual is unclear.

If not, maybe a link to MIDI support?  Hopefully with MIDI I can address the first fader in both input and playback banks simultaneously?

Thanks.  smile

Sorry, what I mean is a link to a spreadsheet (like the OSC one) that explains how to address certain controls with certain MIDI messages?  I'm assuming MIDI is my answer, since addressing faders in both input and playback banks via OSC simultaneously is broken.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fface_ufx_e.pdf

Page 84

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Got it, thanks.

No thoughts on how to control more than one bank simultaneously via OSC?

Hi lamderdash,

you could try to connect as two different OSC clients. As far as I've seen there is support for 4 simultaneous connections. The first connection could select the input bank, the second connection the playback bank. Does that work?

Best,
Sebastian

Hi Sebastian,

Brilliant.  Thanks, you got me headed in the right direction.  I'm using the same client, but now I'm hitting TotalMix via two ports, one addressing busInput, the other busPlayback.  In the settings for TotalMix I clicked the first two "indexes" as "in use" and set two different ports for incoming traffic.  I'm not quite certain at this point how to explicitly address a given submix using the "setSubmix" command.   Thus for now I leave ""Submix linked to OSC control" in the options menu checked.  I think something like /1/setSubmix 1 would probably select the first pair of outputs.  Getting the syntax correct has been a long search.  The manual is pretty mute when it comes to how to explicitly address TotalMix using OSC, and the RME spreadsheet "OSC Table TotalMix" is (to me anyway) quite vague.

I really like OSC in general, though very few seem to have implemented it in any meaningful way, and RME's implementation is a sort of hybrid HUI / OSC thing.  OSC looks like it could easily address any fader in any conceivable bank using a single command, but RME for whatever reason hasn't done that.  In any case I do appreciate the fact that OSC is in TotalMix at all - so cheers for that.

Thanks so much for responding.  we "new members" have to stick together!  smile