Topic: Auto Level Rise Time

Hello!

I just messed around with Auto Leveler in Totalmix and saw that it takes like forever to release when set to 9.9 Rise Time. Is this intentional?

With best regards
El Duderino

Re: Auto Level Rise Time

Sure.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

So the manual of the UCX (which isn't updated with your better description of the Auto Level function :-) it speaks of seconds-values. But the last 2 dB of reduction are happening so slow that it take 10 minutes for 0.25 dB reduction. For me it looks like that the exponential function applied to this release is a little bit too... exponential :-)

Of course 10 minutes would not be intentional. Which firmware version?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

DSP-SW Version: 24

Hmmm, I think I know what's going on: you did not check the rise time with a signal changing in level, but simply hit the mute button somewhere. In that case the current gain is frozen. Advanced processing to prevent big level jumps...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by El Duderino 2014-09-22 22:12:07)

Not exactly but probably the solution. Now I tell you the whole story:
So I have this beautiful external effect unit called Vermona Retroverb - a spring reverb. Lately I heard some kind of computer noise on the output signal of the unit. It's that noise you get from the hyper aggresive energy saving mechanism of the modern CPUs. I know because if I take the CPU under heavy load with something like Prime95 the noise is gone and with my old pc I had none such issues. So I changed audio cables, excluded the usb connection of the UCX, changed the position of the psu and so on to finally got a change of the noise by moving the whole unit away from its current position. While doing that the spring reverb reacts to low frequencies very sensible. So I switched the auto leveler on for security of my ears and headphones.
After excluding the mouse and keyboard I realised that my tft was emitting the noise. Solution? Changing the power cabel! Unbelievable.
The noise wasn't very loud so I needed some gain on the UCX to hear it better while moving the unit. It can happen by accident that the unit gets a small hit and reacts with high level low frequency rumble. So after a hit, levels fall after around 5 seconds to the noise floor which is under -60 dBFS. And the auto leveler got kinda stuck.
Now I realised that it is program dependent (kind of second threshold?) giving some more signal to the auto leveler helps to achieve a full release.
You really need to update that description in manual with more details how this thing works! smile
Now it looks like it's some "simple" clipping safety thingie with basic settings available. People will underestimate the complexity behind it. Any other details we should now? ;-)

With best regards
El Duderino