Topic: Extend HDSP via rackmounted through-connector

Hi all,

I've got a digiface (mounted in a rack) and a HDSP express card in my laptop. Until now, I always left the 'firewire' cable connected to the digiface and rolled it up in the back of the rack when not in use. But that is unfortunately a messy solution. Now as I'm building a new rack, I would rather use a through-connector like the Neutrik NA 1394-6 (look here for an image http://www.thomann.de/de/neutrik_na_13946.htm) with a short patch cable attached in the inside of the rack.

Has anyone tried that before and can tell me that it works :-)? I'm not sure if the additional connection will add too much attenuation to the signal. (Hopefully not!) Maybe this shortens the overal possible cable length...

Cheers
Moritz

Re: Extend HDSP via rackmounted through-connector

Just to let you know: It seems to work that way. I tried it with the following configuration and had no problems so far:

Digiface <-> 50cm Firewire-Cable <-> Neutrik NA1394-6 <-> 400cm Firewire-Cable <-> HDSP ExpressCard (Laptop)

Looks like the neutrik piece with the two additional connections does not add too much attenuation. However, the overall cable length in my setup is 450cm which is also a bit under the maximum of 500cm.