Topic: Louder monitoring mic levels in TotalmixFx (ff802)?

Hi all,

I have a problem creating the headphone monitoring mix for recording vocals for singer.

The recording input levels are good, but I can't get the mic sound loud enough in the headphones for monitoring in the mix.

- the input level for mic is all the way up
- the software playback level from DAW is turned down
- the headphones physical knob is at maximum (that extreme setting doesn't sound like a proper approach)

* I thought to add dynamics to push the monitoring mic sound.
For that I routed the mic input to unused output (because in my current understanding changing dynamics at the input would affect the recorded input level) where I added gain in dynamics and routed that output to the headphones.
Slightly better.
Experimented more and somehow ended up cue-ing the mic's routed+gained output to the headphones - now the levels were very good in the headphones, though with cue there is only sound from the cue-d output i.e. the mix from DAW is missing.

Looks like I'm doing something wrong but have no idea yet what that is?

Re: Louder monitoring mic levels in TotalmixFx (ff802)?

How is your Phones level fader in TotalMix set?
As the 802 has physical volume potis for phones it's a good idea to set it to zero simply and do the acutal volume with the poti.

Re: Louder monitoring mic levels in TotalmixFx (ff802)?

On the 802 the pots are physical but they work in cooperation with TotalMix i.e. both affect in parallel the headphones volume level. I have TotalMix level at 0dB for phones and do all the volume changes via physical knob.

marQs wrote:

How is your Phones level fader in TotalMix set?
As the 802 has physical volume potis for phones it's a good idea to set it to zero simply and do the acutal volume with the poti.