Topic: Programming Fireface UC with C++

I have a Cooler Master ACPI 64-bit 3.2 GHz PC with Windows 7 Professional, and Version 4.9.9.2 of Dev-C++ from BloodshedSoftware. I also have a Fireface UC Win which I would like to use to excite a drive coil at a range of frequencies from the Hz level to 30 kHz or so. Near the drive coil is a metal object, in which current is induced. This current then induces a signal in a nearby search coil. At each frequency, I want to digitise the amplitude and phase of the resulting signal. This will be weak: perhaps 10-100 ppm of the driving signal.

The point of all this is that different metal objects respond in characteristic ways to different frequencies, in a way that depends on their shape (ring, disc, hollow cylinder, etc.) Using this effect, it should be possible to recognise metal shapes in the ground. The application is an improved metal detector, with which to find landmines and other "explosive remnants of war" (EROW) like cluster bombs. You probably know that deminers spend most of their time checking out harmless pieces of metal such as coins, spent bullets, etc. Some way of recognising these objects could therefore be very useful.

My immediate problem is that I don't see how to program C++ to get the Fireface to generate the desired frequencies. Nor do I see how to get the Fireface to analyse the signal in the search coil. OTOH I am able to use a C++ function called Beep to generate sounds, but only via the ATI system that came with the PC, not via the Fireface.

Can anyone help?

Re: Programming Fireface UC with C++

There is no synthesizer or frequency generator in the UC. You would need to generate these tones in software. Also, the unit can not "analyze" signals, that wold again require a software solution.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Re: Programming Fireface UC with C++

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I suppose I ought to have asked about "digitising" -- not analysing -- the resulting signal in the search coil -- sorry!. Have you any suggestions about how to do this, as well as generating the tones? (Rather obviously, I'm new to this.)

It doesn't have to be C++  That's what I have at the moment, but I'm prepared to try anything within reason.

Regards