Topic: Annoying High Pitch - Dependend On Buffersize (smaller = higher Pitch)

Hello,

i've got an HDSP AIO with serial #22906596.

With a lot of work and testing, i've managed to get rid of noises and buzzez (sort of: "i can hear my computer working"), but finnaly i don't know, why it isn't there anymore fryingpan

But i'm happy, this problem is solved.

But i have still very high pitched Noises (XLR Breakout to HS80M). The Pitch is between F and F Sharp, and it corresponds to the BUFFERSIZE. If i select 32 samples, it's so fu**in annoying high and loud, it i select 64 its stil, loud and annoying but an octave higher pitched... finally at around 2048 samples, the pitch is so low, that i can't hear it. But i don't bought a RME AIO to mess around with such latencys.

Has it something to do, with the "Noise Mod" ? My Serial is #22906596, admin plz tell me.

And if not, how can i get rid of this problem ?

Thanks.

Re: Annoying High Pitch - Dependend On Buffersize (smaller = higher Pitch)

I'm having the same exact problem. I just upgraded from an old EMU 404 to a HDSP Hammerfall. There is really a lot of interference (the same i can hear my computer work-thing) I tried changing PCI slot and everything. It drives me nuts. Seems to be only the analog out, as i tried running spdif through my sony amplifier and the problem is not present there. Seems to be in the chain after Digital to analog processing in the out stage.

What did you do to fix it? smile HEEELP

I finally bought a TC BMC2 and hooked it up with ADAT, even with SPDIF i had this Problems. With ADAT no Problems, but MIDI Works only with XLR BO Cable not with the standart cable and in every recording i have still this noise which i had on the monitors.

I wrote 3 emails to the RME Support (about my serial number and the "Noise mod"), 1 Week ago, no answer.

I wrote this topic and obviously a lot of people have similar problems, and no answer...

RME and good support... haha...

http://www.tr1bun.de/dropbox/buzz.mp3

Hear you can hear what means "Made in Germany by RME".

Even my cheap delta 2496, has some buzz, but it's so silent, i can only hear it with headphones at a volume where normal music would f*** up my ears.

That whole RME Support and "Quality" is a bad joke.

Martinus wrote:

I wrote 3 emails to the RME Support (about my serial number and the "Noise mod"), 1 Week ago, no answer.

Of course I replied to your mails... I had to have the number checked, and only got a reply today (sorry). Your card is a modified one.

Hear you can hear what means "Made in Germany by RME".

Very useful comment... HeadScratch
I have an unmodified card, which is totally silent...

Have you tried your card with only headphones connected, all other audio cables unplugged?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi,

maybe i was a little bit rough, sorry, but this problems really get me goat (for such a pricy product).

I tried nearly all, i changed PSU, Graphicscard, HDD, disonnected all other things. i tried out all PCI-E Slots. XLR or the Standart BO Cable... always the same.
If i disconnect the Audiocables from the HS80M it is gone... obviously.

When i connected the AIO to an TC Electronics BMC2 with SPDIF (19,- euro for the BO cable which doesnt solve the problem btw), the noises like "i hear my mouse moving and my graphicscard working" were gone, BUT i still had this high pitched noise which was depended on buffersize. Then i finally bought a Lightpipe and hooked it up with this, now my HS80M are deadquiet (because ADAT is electrically non-conducting !!! but SPDIF is !).

I tried headphone out (even worse) and connected the headphones with adapaters to the cinch OUTs of the AIO, same problem (including the "Moving mouse noises").

Now, my Monitors are quiet, but how i said, i would have bought a raydat, but i have a few analogsynths, and how u can hear in the example the noises are on the INs also.
And MIDI only works with the XLR BO, the standart doesnt work. but cubase always gives midi out status.
When i hook up headphones to synth, without the audiocable from AIO, its nice.

So at the moment, i have a ultra low latency and 100% ASIO stable Card (that is really the one good thing at the moment) which only has 1x MIDI I/O and 1x ADAT I/O.
The Other connections are useless with all this noise... and how u can hear on the MP3, it's not "a little bit how in every internal card".

If you google a little bit, there are a lot of people with such problems, but nobody knows even what causes it (not to mention a solution).

And the problem is there since... 2 years ?

You have been unclear with the phones. Daniel wants to know if you can hear the noise with ONLY the phones connected. According to your information it looks like you get this noise the moment a different earth/ground is connected to your computer. If so some measures in terms of ground loop and grounding come to mind.

If you read the threads in this forum again you will see that some people got rid of it by exchanging the graphics card or the motherboard. That also is the simple root of the problem. The ground and power supply on some PCIe motherboards is too noisy.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by Martinus 2011-02-10 15:19:28)

Ok, first i want to say sorry for be rude in the second post (but maybe u can understand it).

second:

i changed the PSU for the 4th time

First PSU - Silverstone Nightjar Fanless 400W
Second PSU - Zalman 350W PSU
third PSU - Some newer Seasonic (dont know what modell exactly, borrowed from a friend)

All this PSU caused the same troubles.

Now, i have the "be quiet! Straight Power E8 CM 480W"... and... i think, bequiet not only goes for the PSU itself big_smile

I'm in a hurry, so only tested the recording of my analogsynth like in the example before.

Now it's crystalclear.

With Headphones on the Headphone OUT of the XLR BO i still have the problems (hear pc working, high pitched noise when asio working with low latency).

I'm in a hurry, but will post my experiences tomorrow.

Summary:
Analog XLR INs = clear and nice
Headphone XLR Out = bad
XLR Outs on HS80M = too be checked

Martinus wrote:

With Headphones on the Headphone OUT of the XLR BO i still have the problems

Is that with nothing else connected to the breakout cable's inputs or outputs?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I am not talking about the power supply of the computer, but the one on the motherbard. It includes lots of high-frequency generating switched power stages, with high currents and changing frequencies. But good if a different ps improves it for you.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi,

@MC
The frequencys on the mainboard i also had, but this is a really common problem and the internet full of solutions -> if you deactivate all energy saving options (C1/C2 Thermal xyz, etc.) this noises are gone and the mainboard is deadsilent. I have a watercooled Computer with SSDs so i hear really every buzz, and the only one thing i can hear is when im 5cm with my ear at the PSU of the PC, there an electrical buzz... but really only 5cm... so who cares.

After a BIOS Update, even with energy saving i dont have this noises anymore. But i disabled them due undervolting to 1 V on i7 wink (but the voltages etc. changes nothing with the auido problems, i really tried everything and would say im an really advanced in such computer things. There no IRQ conflicht, bios i updated, resetet, tried al settings, voltages, underclocking overclocking.

@RME tech support

Nothing, only the headphones... and i mean really nothing, i plugged out all cards, disabled all onboard things, there was only the Cable for the PSU and the Monitorcable, since i have USB Mouse and Keyboard i plugged them out after starting cubase too !!!!

And the Stock BO Cable still can't send MIDI, i mean, i don't care, i use the XLR... but 60 euro's for MIDI Out... a little bit expensive.

Now i'm going to test the analog outs with HS80M again and will tell you !

11 (edited by Martinus 2011-02-10 19:35:56)

Ok... i don't get it... now the buzz on the recordings is back again... and i changed NOTHING.

I startet the PC after build it in ... it was perfect...

now im back, i started the PC.... the noise is back (pitch nouse depend of buffersize and "mousemoving" aswell).

"If you read the threads in this forum again you will see that some people got rid of it by exchanging the graphics card or the motherboard. That also is the simple root of the problem. The ground and power supply on some PCIe motherboards is too noisy."

- Ok, a friend has the same problems on the headphone out, but on the monitors everything is OK (XLR Out), but different Board. (i have asus p6t, he has gigabyte something with i7 920)
In this forum you can read, that there are MacPros, Gigabytes, Asuses and so on, i think its more an problem with the whole core i3/5/7 thing.

I mean, if you know, it's the mainboard... u can't simply wirte which mainboards u tag as "RME Compatible" and which to avoid ?

I don't think it's so simple.

In this forum i saw a guy, who taped the cardslot and the pc case slot with isolationtape and solved this problem...

Does it make sense, to try this ?

I mean "buy a new X58 Board , maybe (!) then our product works" or better "buy a whole new PC" isn't this kind of solution i'm searching for.

I Have a voltmeter, so if you can tell me, where i have to measure... ?

And if you search in the internet for this problems with the AIO, there are a lot of people who have them, but most of them, simply send the card back to the dealer...

unfortunately i bought i 2nd hand... so i'm here, others bought another card...

when u can't help me, i will have to put it on ebay, since how u tell me, the card itself is ok and there's nothing to "repair".

But maybe u know something.

Similar problems here (RME HDSP 9632 + Yamaha MSP7). Not tried anything yet as I can't hear it with music playing. Only hear that stuff when not playing anything.

Here http://www.rane.com/note110.html Rane is talking about cutting the wire to Pin1 on the receiving XLR connector. This coud help.

These new Neutrik EMC XLR connectors also look interesting:

http://www.neutrik.com/us/en/audio/204_ … tlist.aspx

http://www.neutrik.com/client/neutrik/media/view500/Media_1768696394.jpg

Since the connections isn't with XLR, i can't test ist.

Maybe RME Tech Support anwers the next days, and can tell me a solution. If not, i have to put the card on ebay.

Though not recommended, my problem was solved by connecting the Mixer i use for recording to an ungrounded socket. It was a ground loop problem for me. So check your studio electrics wiring or read up on ground loop problems. That's my only suggestion.

But why i have no recording noise with my delta 2496 ?
If it's a grounding Problem it shoud affect the delta too, or not ?

Hi guys, same problem here. I bought my AIO way back and sent it to RME for the noise mod months later.

I Just built a new pc this week, using sandy bridge integrated graphics (RME is the only PCIe device) and an asus mini-atx mobo,
having stayed with the same power supply (eartwatts 500w very silent)
No noise using balanced XLR cables to the speakers, but with the headphones 1/4" jack it's another story...
With the old system I used to hear some harddisk/cpu/mouse "fizzy" sounds and it didn't bother me much because they were in low volume (I heard no change before/after the noise mod)
but now there's this pitched noise that increases slighty in volume when I turn the on multiprocessing setting with ableton live,
and varies it's pitch according the sample rate chosen (lower for 32khz and higher for 192khz), and seems to drop down about one octave for each growing buffer sample size change (32->64->128), until in becomes practically inaudible, strange eh?
Of course I still hear the crunchy sounds of moving the mouse and hard drive working but those are the lesser problem. High pitched whine decides to appear when I open my sequencer, and becomes stronger in volume when I open a project.
Disabling power saving options on BIOS (speedstep, c1e, c3, c6) makes the whine volume drop down very slightly. (system running on it's base clock, no OC's of any kind)

I will try to connect my pc to an unearthed socket.

Filipe