Topic: Multiface I ADA8000 Cubase 4 Problem

Hi there,
I work with my Multifaces without problems for years (Notebook and PC). Now I want to update my output channels with a Behringer ADA 8000.
I connected it via ADAT but I have some problems with it. First I guess the problem is the ADA 8000, but now I have a second one
and I have the same problems - so I think it is more a problem with the connection between Multiface and ADA 8000.

I worked with Cubase 4. If I send short signals to the ADA 8000 (like drums) not every signal comes to the output, just as there is a attack in the ADAT Channels.
The problem gets bigger if I use more ADAT outs.

Some more info about the connection:
I tried some variations:
Multiface a Sync Master, Ada a Sync-Master.
I tried different optical cable.
I tried two different ADA 8000 and (!) two different Multifaces on two computers (Notebook and PC)
he result was the same. So the problem is not the hardware.

So the question is:
I there anybody out there, who runs Cubase 4, a Multiface I and a Behringer ADA 8000.
It would be very nice to compare the settings (RME and Cubase).

Re: Multiface I ADA8000 Cubase 4 Problem

Please be more clear and specific about the nature of the problem. Deutsch geht auch...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

:-)
Das Problem ist, dass das Signale aus den Adat-Ousgängen ( Multiface->optisches Kabel->ADA 8000->Mixer) nur teilweise ankommen.
Ein kurzes Signal auf einem Channel kommt nicht an, viele Signale auf dem selben Channel schon, ganz als ob es ein Attack oder Gate auf dem Channel gibt.
Je mehr Channels man benutzt desto schlimmer wird das Problem.
Da ich nun verschiedene Hardware mit einander probiert habe, denke ich, dass es eher ein Konfigurationsproblem ist und kein Hardwareproblem.

Die Frage ist für mich daher, welche Setting sind für die Hammerfall DSP Settings sinnvoll, wenn ich ein Adat-Wandler wie Ada8000 anschliessen will:
Clock Mode, Pref. Sync Ref.

Ist vielleicht ein bisschen diffus, ich weiss, aber da ja selbst hier im Forum das Ada immer wieder als Variante genannt wird, seine Ausgangsanzahl zu erhöhen,
kann es doch keine Raketentechnik sein, dass Teil sauber anzuschliessen smile

Das ist ein bekannter Hardware-Bug der Behringer Wandler. Behringer kontaktieren...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Das ist ein bekannter Hardware-Bug der Behringer Wandler. Behringer kontaktieren...

echt?! das ist aber schon das zweite gerät. kann man soviel pech haben?!

Siehe Google und in diesem Forum. Seit circa 1 Jahr bekannt. Weltweit. Z.B.:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8076

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Die Frage ist nur: ist es ein Bug oder ein Feature?

zu Vollständigkeit: ja hat sich bestätigt, scheint echt an der ADA zu liegen!
Wenn nix gesendet wird, macht das Ding zu. Wenn man ein bisschen im Netz gräbt scheint das seit ungefähr einen Jahr so in den Dingern verbaut zu werden.
Unglaublich nutzloses Feature!! fryingpan

Workaround für mich ist nun auf den Adat-Kanälen die ich nutzen will, zusätzlich ein sample zu senden, das auf -60db ein "Kanalrauschen" abspielt.
Damit bekommt die ADA immer Daten und die Outputs bleiben offen!

Also: RME Multiface hat damit nix zu tun und ich kann weiter sagen: Multiface rules

Slices You can reply in german if you want to, I can read it fine, only writing......)
did you experiment what level is needed to keep the ADA "open", would 24 bit dither do? -60db seems somewhat loud to me. Does the ADA maybe only close when it receives full digital zeros (which is common for a stopped DAW)
Thanks
Vincent

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

Does the ADA maybe only close when it receives full digital zeros (which is common for a stopped DAW)

hi Vincent,
in my case I use Cubase Studio 4.
The ADA "close" it's outputs not only when the DAW is stopped. It close the output if there is no signal on the channel. So if you send a drumsample, a singe Hihat, you send a short signal, then nothing until the next Hihat.

I send a sample with the noise of an open analogmixer-channel. I set the volume to the minimum value (!) you can set in Cubase. I can't hear it :-)

But you can read the RMS value of this signal in TotalMix.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks.
Might even be easier with a dither plugin set to it´s lowest setting in all ADA output channels. Like the UV22HD (not sure if it´s in C4 studio it is in C4 full) with settings 24 bit, Lo and autoblack off. Might be a universal solution for all ADA users. You could try a different dither plugin too. like the free one in this package http://mda.smartelectronix.com/effects.htm

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632