Topic: SYNC problem with 2 AIO cards -> 2 Apogee Rosetta's -> one has latency

Hi,
I seem to have a SYNC problem I cannot solve...
My setup = Mac Intel with 2 RME AIO cards, to each one there is an Apogee Rosetta 800 connected via ADAT i/o.
I have one Apogee slaved to the other via the word clock in/out BNC-connector so there's only one wordclock driving both units; I set both RME cards to autosync via ADAT.
When I record, the tracks that were recorded via the second unit (the slaved one for that matter) are 'late' on the grid.

My best guess is, since I cannot use both cards direct monitoring output simultaneously into my headphone monitoring amp, one converter will always suffer from latency and thus the recordings will be 'late'... if this makes sense: is there a solution for this problem?

I currently use the analog outputs of the first card as main outs, these are plugged into the main inputs of the monitor amp, and they're linked through to a little mixer to control my monitor speakers. No problems here.
The only thing is, I can only plug one headphone out plug (the one from the first or either the second RME-unit) into my monitor amp... Is there a possibility to route this internally between the two cards?

Many thanks!

Re: SYNC problem with 2 AIO cards -> 2 Apogee Rosetta's -> one has latency

Nobody a clue?

To someone from RME (Carsten?): Would a Raydat solve this problem?
I mean there both units would be connected to the same card, but, does the Raydat have a phones out/direct monitoring option?

Thanks,

Koen.

You could try to sync the second AIO with spdif from the first AIO.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

You mean: connect SPDIF out cable of card one to SPDIF in cable of card two and then select "spdif - sync in" of the second card?
Thanks!

Yes! There might also be an internal option for that but I don´t own these cards (I have a HDSP9652, but have a similarly complex setup as you sync wise, also 4 devices)

Vincent, Amsterdam

And exactly how do you monitor?
I mean:your card sports only one headphone output, doesn't it? And from there you can monitor your different devices while recording?

(Thing is, I suspect that my problem may after all not a sync-thing per se -> I might be more of a monitoring problem, since both cards have a phones/direct monitoring out jack and I can only use one at a time - this is of course very unpractical, that's why I think I would need a Raydat...)

Thanks!

I have to go now, but I will get back to you later tonight, afternoon here now.

Vincent, Amsterdam

I´m not 100% sure I understand how you set up monitoring.
But I might have a solution anyway. If you send the monitor mix from AIO1 to AIO2 via spdif and totalmix both headphones will have no or identical latency.
(so spdif out1 has same mixer settings as phones and spdif in2 is send to phones2 in totalmix2).

If this doesn´t help you do need to very precisely explain what you are doing and trying to achieve. Ofcourse a Raydat or HDSP9652 (if you have a PCI slot, available cheap second hand) will be easier to set up, but neithr of them has any analog outputs or phones (I use a FW1804 for phones and 8 inputs).

Vincent, Amsterdam

Hi, thanks!
I think I can work now with the second Apogee + AIO (2): I simply selected 'spdif' in the Totalmix monitoring section of the second card, and selected the inputs I'm using in the Totalmix matrix window. There's way less latency and the audio sits on the right spot when recorded.
I guess I'm now hearing the sound that's being recorded with only the slightest latency - it's still not direct monitoring however, but quite workable nevertheless!
Thanks for bringing me on the right track, much appreciated.

(however, for the record, trying to sync the second card with the first through SPDIF didn't work - it confused the sync engine too much, it kept switching between lock/no lock. The clocking route I chose from the outset by slaving one machine to the other and then select Autosync through ADAT1 apparently works, it was clearly a monitoring problem).

Great! Latency is really really small like this only a few samples cause there are no converters in play.
Vincent

Vincent, Amsterdam