1 (edited by glennv 2011-03-23 22:33:51)

Topic: Totalmix issue (newby)

Just got my FF400 and love the device. Everything seems to work as expected and i cab record my hardware synths into Ableton and send back and forth to outboard fx gear as well.
Now the funny thing is that totalmix, does not do what it should do.  (ableton not running)
Meaning I can only route one input channel directly to the headphone or any other output channel. All the other input channels show live input (on the input meters) but no output appears on any of the outputs whatever i do.
The default preset 2 (first thing i tried ) same problem. Only from input 5 i get stuff on my output channels .
All looks good, matrix confirms in to out asssignement including levels.
Can't be a hardware thing otherwise Ableton would have the same problem i would suppose, but can route all to all in ableton.

Running the 1.7 firmware (uopdated from 1,69 which was loaded originaly in the device) and 2.90 driver (instaklled from scratch, so no old drivers updated) on snow leopard 10.6.6

Any ideas what might be wrong ?

Thanks

Glenn

p.s. I also can route all playback channels (like itunes output etc) fine to any output. Just affects the analog inputs (have no digital stuff)

Re: Totalmix issue (newby)

Hi Glenn,

Are you sure there is no Mute or Solo active in TotalMix? It sounds like you have a grip on the routing/matrix already, but just in case you can watch one of the tutorial videos in case you're missing something.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RMEAudio

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks. Nope no mutes etc.
Did some more investigation. Only seems to affect the inputs on the rear (5-8). 1-4 i can route fine anywhere.
Also if disconnect and reconnect the FF400 (the power supply) when it starts up i can hear all synths for a few seconds and then the outputs seem to get disabled.
No difference if standalone (fw cable disconnected ) or connected.
With the last thing in mind am not sure if it is related , but in apple audio/midi settings i see only 4 out of 18 input channels blue and the rest greyed out. The ouputs are all blue.

And like i said driven via ableton , no problemo . I do 90% of my work there , so no showstopper, but I like the totalmix routing options for which i see massive opportunities) . Weard...

Tried my wifes macbook pro (newer model) , same thing.

Also the fact that preset 2 does not let me hear the inputs tells me something is not 100% , as this should send all inputs to the headphone out according to the manual (and looking at the routing in the matrix)

This sounds more like inputs 5-8 don't work at all (hardware defect). Are you sure the level meters in TM show the current input signal?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by glennv 2011-03-30 08:40:20)

Don't think so as they work fine in Ableton. No issues at all there. Can send all inputs to all outputs . Just in Totalmix , which is crazy as this should be the mother of all routing tools.
Here a screenshot where you seen 2 inputs receiving a signal and nothing happening on the outputs. Loaded preset is 2.
http://www.glennvenghaus.com/div/rmeff400problem.jpg

Edit: link to snapshot should now work

Any ideas ?

Set Limit Bandwith to 'All channels'. Does it work then?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Unfortunately not. I only recently set it to reduced bandwith as i currently only use analog. (That will change tomorrow as then my ES3 Expert sleepers Adat > 8 DC out , will come in ).

Would it make sense to reflash the firmware ? I flashed it after first connection as the driver said the fw version 1.69 needed to be updated for it to work.

No. Instead you should completely reinstall the driver and reinstall only the latest one. Maybe the TM prefs are screwed up...

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9233

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes this solved the issue. Thanks.
The strange thing is that i had installed the drivers on 2 separate Macbook pro's from scratch and both had the same issue. Issue was even in standalone mode. Now i reinstalled on the first and it is solved. Flashed the new setting and now also standalone is ok. Very weird.
Does installing a new driver also reinitialize the setting in the FF400 itself. That coulod explain this behavior maybe if its settings internally where corrupted..

Anyway I am happy ;-)
Thanks again