Topic: FF800: ADAT sync problem on Mac w/ driver 2.93

Hello folks,

first my specs:
- FF800 with firmware 2.77, serial no. 2259228 (purchased in 2006)
- Driver version 2.93 on Mac (I'm a long term Windows user currently moving to Mac)

The FF800 is connected to a Presonus Digimax FS through both ADAT links. The FF800 is configured as sync master, the Presonus is configured as slave.

In standalone mode (after switching on the FF800 and the Presonus but before connecting the FF800 to the Mac), the FF800 and the Presonus are perfectly synced.

However, when connecting the FF800 to the Mac, as soon as the connection is established and the FF800 control panel has launched itself, the FF800 and the Presonus go out of sync.

In the FF800 control panel, the FF800 is still configured as sync master, but the two ADAT indicators keep changing from "lock" to "no lock" and the two ADAT LEDs on the FF800 keep flashing, while the Presonus audio inputs do not work (as expected).

What I have to do is to click once again on the sync master radio button in the FF800 control panel, although it is already selected. This cures the problem.

Never had this problem on Windows, though. As said, I'm using the FF800 since 2006, so I think I know what I'm doing, especially how to use the FF800 and its control panel and mixer, how to flash the control panel and mixer settings to the device and all this stuff.

If possible, please help. Thank you.

Best regards,
soulianis

Re: FF800: ADAT sync problem on Mac w/ driver 2.93

Unfortunately, this problem persists. Do you have enough info to reproduce it, or which additional info do you need? Thank you for your help.

Problem still persists. Please let me know if you need additional info to be able to help me. Thank you.

Hi soulianis,
Use word clock to sync the Digmax FS to the FF800. The Digimax FS seems to clock better this way.
Make sure Clock mode should be set to internal.
Make sure you SPDIF input is set to Coaxial.
Also make sure that you clicked "Store in Flash" on the FF800 settings panel.
On the Presonus FS make sure is set to EXT Clock BNC (Blue Light).
You will need a word cable going from Word Clock out of the FF800 to the Word Clock in on the Digimax.
You still need to have both your ADAT cables attached of course.

Chris

Chris Ludwig | ADK Pro Audio
www.adkproaudio.com
https://www.facebook.com/adkmg

Hello Chris,

Thank you very much for your reply. I'll try to get a WC cable tomorrow to try your suggestion.

However, the situation is that when I don't have the Firewire cable connected and switch on both the FF800 and the Digimax FS (so that they run in standalone mode), both go into sync perfectly. On the Digimax the "External Sync" switch is red ("ADAT").

But as soon as I connect the Firewire cable and the Mac driver has loaded, the FF800 and the Digimax go out of sync. In the FF800 driver control panel, "Clock Mode" is set to "Master". I then need to click once again on "Clock Mode: Master" although it is already active, which then cures the problem.

The situation above happens about 9 times out of 10. Of course, I stored the correct settings to Flash several times.

I'll try your Wordclock suggestion, but given the situation I described above, I don't think this is a device problem but a driver problem.

Best,
soulianis

Thank you very much Chris,

Using Word Clock solves the problem cool

Have a wonderful day,
Roland

I apparently was a bit too enthusiastic.

Unfortunately, the problem still persists, even when using Word Clock.

To report this to RME, is this the right place, or where should I report it?

Thank you for your help,
soulianis