1 (edited by luddy 2011-07-01 08:04:01)

Topic: Controlling UFX TM via MIDI commands from a MIDI port on the host

Hi,

I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.8 and have the latest drivers and firmware for the UFX.

I'm trying to send it the MIDI commands that are documented on page 77 of the manual.  I'm sending the commands from a USB MIDI port on the host -- not one of the physical ports on the UFX.  I select this port from the drop-down menu in Settings, MIDI Input.

The master volume control works fine (CC7 on Ch 1).  The volume goes up and down as expected with my controller.

However, none of the NOTE commands (like snapshot select) work.  I can verify by MIDI monitor software running on the host that the commands are being delivered correctly, on the correct channel (1) and with the correct value (NOTE 54, for example, to recall the first snapshot, NOTE 55 to recall the second, etc.)

I just tried this via Ports 1 and 2 on the UFX itself, with the same result: master volume works, but the note-based commands documented on page 77 do not work.  I am of course changing the MIDI Input selected under Settings > MIDI Controller each time, and also verifying with software on the host that the MIDI events are arriving on the selected input port.

-Luddy

Re: Controlling UFX TM via MIDI commands from a MIDI port on the host

Note commands require maximum velocity.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I am having the exact same problem, running Windows 7/64- CC commands work to control volume, buttons do not. Am using MIDI monitoring software to confirm the proper note on info is being sent to Totalmix. I contacted support, but only got the reply that there is no other information available about how to make it work (or why it doesn't work).

Okay, after an hour of screwing around with this, I found that using "workspace quick select" and overwrite the previous setting mysteriously made the buttons start working. Don't know if it's reapeatable, but it's a step in the right direction.

MC wrote:

I tried with velocity=127 but it had no effect.

@gkephart: that's interesting, I will trying playing around with that and see if I get anywhere.

-Luddy

I've got them all working now, but it sure wasn't even close to intuitive.. guesswork baby! As for talkback, I think you need to have it assigned to an actual input..

luddy wrote:
MC wrote:

I tried with velocity=127 but it had no effect.

Then support for Mackie Protocol is disabled (Settings, F3).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Then support for Mackie Protocol is disabled (Settings, F3).

aha, that did it!  Thanks.

You folks might want to tweak the manual on p. 76 (30.3) to suggest turning that option on even if one isn't using a Mackie-protocol controller.  The language on p. 77 makes it sound (well, to me anyway) as though the commands on that page are something separate from Mackie control:

"Fortunately a Mackie Control compatible controller is not required to control these buttons, as they are steered by simple Note On/Off commands on MIDI channel 1."

Thanks again,

-Luddy

The more important question is: was that setting 'off'? That would be a fault on our side (after installation it should be on by default). Or did you switch it off?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The more important question is: was that setting 'off'? That would be a fault on our side (after installation it should be on by default). Or did you switch it off?

Hi, it was off when I installed the software.  I think it's no big deal for someone to turn it on manually so long as the manual says that it's needed.

One thing that kind of concerns me about Mackie protocol mode with a non-Mackie controller is that I don't want accidental bumps of my controller (say, turning some knob that I think is not mapped) to do radical things to the state of the mixer, especially if that might result in feedback or something loud.  So if I don't have a Mackie controller, I'd rather have a mode with a limited set of commands that are completely documented.  But it's probably no big deal either way...

Working great now.

-Luddy