1 (edited by bitterkitten 2011-07-04 18:36:59)

Topic: adjusting input trim of Fireface 400 channels 5 & up

In the Win7 fireface 400 driver interface, you can adjust the input levels of channels 1-4 from the 'Analog' tab. However, there's no way to adjust the input levels of the other inputs that I can see there.  I figured I would look in Totalmix, however, according to Jeff of Synthax in another thread, "TotalMix actually has nothing to do with the audio for recording (only monitoring)."  Strangely, the manual (even the most recent version I just downloaded) says on p.9, section 5.2 of the Quick Start: "After the driver installation connect the TRS jacks or the XLR jacks with the analog signal source. The input sensitivity of the rear inputs can be changed in the Settings dialog (Input Level)" (I suspect that only means the dbU).

As far as I can tell, though, I can only adjust the input levels of channels 5+ from the control knob.

If this is the case - why? Seems like it would not be a big deal to have them all controlled from the driver interface.  I wouldn't care except that the FF here is not located very close to my computer.

I apologize if this has been asked previously in another thread, the search engine did not come up with any hits regarding this issue.

Thanks!

e

Re: adjusting input trim of Fireface 400 channels 5 & up

Channels 5 to 8 are the 'Line In' of the unit. Look again. Clearly described in the manual as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the fast response Matthias! My point was just that it seems like the manual implies that you can adjust the input gain of the rear inputs from the driver - besides just the reference levels - and this appears not to be the case (unless I am missing something).

If you cannot adjust the input gain of the inputs numbered 5 and above without using the control knob - and it is not a limitation of the FF 400 hardware design - it would be handy to be able to control the input gain of the rear inputs digitally from the FF driver, as well. : )

e

There is no gain control for inputs 5-8.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks anyhow!

e

hi guys, I have a problem with the fireface 800 and even if you'r talking about the 400 that seems to be the thread that suits best my problem. I'm using an external preamp that I connect to the line inputs of the interface. the problem is that even if the preamp doesn't peak at all, the interface clips. I was wondering if there's any way to trim the input level of the interface so that it doesn't clip.
thanks a lot!

daniel

Set the inputs 1-8 to Lo Gain in Fireface settings, that will give you a bit more headroom.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.