Topic: Babyface and Pod XT Routing

Hello, I just purchased a new Babyface and I like it. But I have a Problem. I'd like to hear the sounds of my Pod XT via the Babyface (TotalMix) without needing to plug the Pod's outputs into the Baby's analog inputs. I just want to route the Gearbox-Application to TotalMix via driver. Is that possible ?
In Cubase I can do that using Plugins (Gearbox-Plugin, Pod Farm 2), but I don't want to run Cubase all the time, when I want to hear my Guitar plugged into the Pod XT.

Thanks

Re: Babyface and Pod XT Routing

No that doesn´t work. Only thing you can use instead of cubase is a simpler vst host like this one http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm . Havn´t tried it though.
But I think just connecting the cables is the easiest solution. Or get an additional AD converter for the babyface and have the pod connected to the digital in always. (maybe you even have something lying around like a cd or dat recorder?).
Good luck!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

This is not possible. TotalMix works like an external hardware mixer. The mixer is in the interface - only the user interface is on the computer screen.

You want to insert your POD XT loop into the mixer itself. This is possible via the hardware inputs of the Babyface or via a plugin host software which sends and receive audio signals from the computer to the POD XT.

If your POD application could access the Babyface audio driver (like Cubase) this would be possible. But I think the POD farm is only a plugin collection. So you need a plugin host software to access the POD via cable loop and play the resulting signal to the Babyface driver. TotalMix itself is no plugin host for native ASIO or AU plugins. Otherwise it would loose all advantages against native software mixers (Zero Latency Monitoring, DSP hardware mixing ...). It needs in any case a software host with plugin support.

RME does not provide such a plugin host because all others do (Cubase, Pro Tools, Samplitude, Logic, Reason ...). There are even freeware ASIO plugin hosts and virtual effect racks.

best regards
Knut

Ok,Thanks, I understand.

Wird man hier auch verstanden, wenn man seien Beiträge in Deutsch verfasst ?

Ja

Ok, Danke.

Was ich jetzt noch nicht ganz verstehe: Wofür sind die Hall- und Delay-Effekte in Babyface, wenn man sie nicht in Cubase nutzen kann. Die haben ja nur Sinn, wenn ich wieder über die Ausgänge aufnehme. Dann kann ich den Mix ja gleich in Cubase machen. Oder verstehe ich da etwas falsch, bzw. für welche Anwendungsbereiche ist das gedacht ?

Danke

Wofür sind die Hall- und Delay-Effekte in Babyface, wenn man sie nicht in Cubase nutzen kann.

Mixer und Effekte funktionieren immer noch genauso, wie ein Digitalpult oder ein digitales Effektrack. Diese Geräte kann man nicht als Plugin in einer Software nutzen, sondern muß Audiosignale hin und zurück routen. Dafür haben sie einen entscheidenden Vorteil: sie funktionieren ohne Latenz. Was nicht der Fall wäre, wenn man sie in Cubase nutzen könnte.

Oder verstehe ich da etwas falsch, bzw. für welche Anwendungsbereiche ist das gedacht ?

Der Kopfhörermix mit Effekten für den Sänger/Schlagzeuger/Bassisten live oder im Studio zum Beispiel. Über Cubase gibt es prinzipbedingt immer eine Verzögerung, weil er durch die CPU singen muß.

Dann kann ich den Mix ja gleich in Cubase machen.

Ja, so war das von Steinberg mit dem VST-Konzept geplant. Statt mit externen Geräten kann man den Mix gleich in Cubase machen. Nur tauchen damit Probleme auf, die es bei externer Hardware ohne Latenzen nicht gibt. Damit alle zufrieden sind, hat RME Hardware-Mixer und Effekte direkt in das Interface verlegt. Jetzt passt ein Gerät, wie das Babyface, mit High-End-Mixer und Effekten, für die man bis vor Kurzem noch den Kofferraum brauchte, in die Hosentasche.

Aber um auf das ursprüngliche Problem zurückzukommen: die TotalMix-Effekte lassen sich auch direkt aus TotalMix mit der Loopback-Option aufnehmen (siehe Handbuch).

Gruß
Knut

OK, Knut, jetzt habe ich alles verstanden.
Danke für die umfassende Info.